• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Pharaoh RutinTutin

NP Thursday April 14, 2022

54 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Is that a real anime?  

'Bofuri' is a real anime, many hits on Duck Duck Go.

Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense. is the light novel and later manga it's based on. I guess the subtitle is part of the tiltle on the video as well.

Dan's tone in the comic and his past examples also say it's real.

It sounds better in the Wiki article than it does in the comic, to be honest.

The main character in Bofuri actually manages to break the game mechanics by having such a defense-heavy build—not only because her defense is so high, but also because her other stats are cripplingly low (e.g. speed and dexterity so low that she is incapable of exceeding a walking pace). The game devs are constantly issuing patches every time she discovers a new bug caused by her lopsided build interacting with enemy attacks that are designed to be inescapably crippling/lethal.

18 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It sounds better in the Wiki article than it does in the comic, to be honest.

Lots of media sound better on Wikipedia than they are in real life.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Lots of media sound better on Wikipedia than they are in real life.

Then allow me to elaborate. The concept explained in the Wiki article of a player in an MMORPG who constantly enhances her defense as she interacts with the game environment sounds a bit more entertaining than what the comic indicated, on the other hand it also sounds very unrealistic. Turtleing is not a game-breaking strategy in any game I'm aware of, although Paladins in WoW are a step in that direction. That the devs can't keep up sounds ludicrous. How does she even level. But whatever, I'm not likely to run into it.

Having a defense value being unreasonably high in  a Table Top RPG shouldn't be that much of a problem.  Toss a monster or NPC at them that attacks their weak point.  Any well balanced TTRPG will make it impossible, or at least extremely difficult, to have max defense in all possible attack forms.