• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Yzjdriel

Grammatical Overhaul: The Wiki

To clarify the title, let me give some background.

A few years ago, I took it upon myself to clean up the grammatical mistakes on the main cast's wiki pages, since they were making the pages nearly unintelligible in some places.

Now that I have more time on my hands, I'd like to go back and do the same for every single page on the entire wiki.

Please note that this is not a dig against any of the content creators on the wiki in any way.  This is just me expressing my intent to make the wiki into something that follows a convention of style and employs proper diction and punctuation, so that errors in such will not distract someone who's just looking something up from both finding what they're looking for and/or understanding what they've found.

I will also change the wording of specific parts to avoid overuse of some words (e.g., before I attacked the main cast's pages the first time, the word "revealed" was in every other sentence).

If there's a page in particular anyone wants me to attack first, let me know in a comment.

For anyone who's interested in the edits I've made or the reasons behind them, I've put a list of all the pages on the Wiki, and whether or not I've been through them, on my Wikia Blog.

I have posted this on my Wikia blog as well, but as it may or may not get more views here, I figured I'd place it here as well.

Again, this is not a comment on the contributions anyone has made, but merely an expression of my intent to make the wiki follow a semantic convention (and thus look like it has a style guide, which in turn makes it look more professional).

2 hours ago, Yzjdriel said:

A few years ago, I took it upon myself to clean up the grammatical mistakes on the main cast's wiki pages, since they were making the pages nearly unintelligible in some places.

Now that I have more time on my hands, I'd like to go back and do the same for every single page on the entire wiki.

Your are a braver man the me, Gunga Din

On the subject of doing this, I'd like to hear some of this forum's thoughts on shortening the 'history' section of the character pages to avoid putting the entire comic's story on every single character page.  A character's History is what they did before they became a mainstay in the story - for example, Tedd's would be a note about William and Gillian and their CMD which he's modifying for them, a note about mad science, and a brief blurb about his most recent exploit.  Elliot's would be a note about his ASMA training, a sentence about Ellen's creation, and a short recap of Cheerleadra's most recent adventure.  Sarah's would be a note about how she and Tedd did a science project that had a side effect of her being temporarily stuck as a catgirl, a sentence about how she used to date Elliot, and a quick summary of her new spell and what her having magic means to her.

If I were taking on a project to redo character histories, a single history would be what that character did OUTSIDE (and mostly before) the comic continuity - plus links to character-relevant pages of the story-arc section.

However, I'm not volunteering to do it. The person who does it gets to make the final* decision.

* Final - until someone comes in and redoes it again.

H

I could see having both -- a non-spoiler History section which tells stuff that happened prior to the comic's start, and a Spoilers section, preferably hidden when the page is opened (like TV Tropes' closed folders or the spoiler protection here), but easy to open to read, which covers stuff from the comic itself (including padt history stuff that would be a spoiler to someone reading EGS for the first time).  Seems like a nice thorough wiki should have both.

But that would still require that (for example) a lot of detail of what happened during the card tournament - other than card games - be written up in Tedd's history, and in Grace's history, and in Sarah's history, and in Pandora's history... but it couldn't just be copied, because different parts of the same arc would have to be in Justin's, Tedd's, Grace's, Sarah's, and Luke's, while other parts would have to be in Sarah's and Sam's.

The history sections on some pages (Tedd for example) are far too long, and kinda duplicate the individual arc pages.  Merging them with the arc pages and then abridging is the way to go.  My initial attempts at abridging didn't get very far though.

However, before copying/moving anything, consult https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copying_within_Wikipedia.  While Shiveapedia is not Wikipedia, it uses the same BY-SA licensing and therefore what is said on that page does apply.  In short, in the edit summary, put a link to the source page from which you are copying/moving, so people browsing the target page edit history can consult the source page edit history for the original authors of the content, thus fulfilling the attribution requirement.

Edited by HarJIT
came across as a bit aggressive

On 12/3/2016 at 4:27 AM, HarJIT said:

The history sections on some pages (Tedd for example) are far too long, and kinda duplicate the individual arc pages.  Merging them with the arc pages and then abridging is the way to go.  My initial attempts at abridging didn't get very far though.

However, before copying/moving anything, consult https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copying_within_Wikipedia.  While Shiveapedia is not Wikipedia, it uses the same BY-SA licensing and therefore what is said on that page does apply.  In short, in the edit summary, put a link to the source page from which you are copying/moving, so people browsing the target page edit history can consult the source page edit history for the original authors of the content, thus fulfilling the attribution requirement.

For right now I'm just attacking the grammar (since moving sections full of mistakes will just make it harder on me XP), but when I've finished that I may look into shuffling those sections around.  We'll see.

Edited by Yzjdriel
Don't worry about aggressiveness when dealing with me. XD I tend to come across as condescending more often than not.