• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Galileo wrote, "The universe cannot be read until we have learnt the language and become familiar with the characters in which it is written. It is written in mathematical language, and the letters are triangles, circles and other geometrical figures, without which means it is humanly impossible to comprehend a single word."

53 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

True fact: You can divide by zero, but you have to sneak up on it.

You can't divide by zero because you can't burn elephants.

Though, to be serious, most of those geometries outside of Euclidean and Spherical do seem bizarre and esoteric. But we do need the more “ordinary” geometries, as well as arithmetic and algebra for basic functioning, unless you’d like to give up any technology newer than the Bronze Age (e.g. any house built without accurate measurements will probably be leaky and not very sturdy). Even the exotic stuff like quantum physics is necessary for electronics to work.

9 hours ago, ijuin said:

But we do need the more “ordinary” geometries, as well as arithmetic and algebra for basic functioning, unless you’d like to give up any technology newer than the Bronze Age

Some Bronze Age things need math of one sort or another.  The were building structures by then.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Some Bronze Age things need math of one sort or another.  The were building structures by then.

I was referring more to many such societies being illiterate, as in having not adopted a writing system yet, meaning that they would have to figure it all out mentally (or just eyeball it) rather than writing down any blueprints.

I thought that most bronze age societies were literate, at least late bronze age.    Maybe not all members of the society were literate, but the at least members some were.  A little googling sorta supports that, but I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Nice pic.  

Would have been better if the guy making the anti-Control statement was Bernie Kopell

Who?  <google> Oh.  Yeah, deep cut there.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:
7 hours ago, mlooney said:

If you meet a crossfit vegan who uses Arch Linux, which one do they tell you about first?

Arch Linux, of course.

Hmm.  I guess it depends on the vegan.  I've know one that more or less opened every conversation with "I'm a vegan and you \should|shouldn't\ eat [random food].  She did this to total strangers as well as friends and acquaintances.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The first thing they tell you about is the amazing opportunity you will find as an Amway distributor

I thought that was prohibited by the 8th Amendment to the US Constitution?

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The first thing they tell you about is the amazing opportunity you will find as an Amway distributor

My first non-military real job's head salesman was also an Amway person.  Between him and the Mormon co-owner, who wanted more members in his local group, it was a strange place to work.  Actually VSSI was a strange place all around.  A good place, but weird.