• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Relative to where the time-zone lines would be if not adjusted for geographic and political barriers and various sillier reasons, most of the US was *already* an hour ahead of where we should be - and then most of the US (I think everywhere in the States except Arizona, plus the Navajo reservation in Arizona, minus the Hopi reservation inside the Navajo reservation in Arizona; dunno about territories and possessions) just shifted the clock another hour ahead.

And people keep saying we should keep the clocks that way year-round.

So which of the following do YOU think is a better idea:

A ) Grade-school kids in rural areas standing by the side of the road in the dark before sunrise, waiting for the school bus - and then having plenty of light in the evening to get off the school bus and run into the house.

B ) Grade-school kids in rural areas standing by the side of the road AFTER sunrise, when it's light so people can see them, waiting for the school bus - and then getting off the school bus in the dark and running into the house.

Me, I like B better. So DST in winter is a bad idea. Whether summer DST is useful is questionable, but at worst (and as far as I'm aware) it's merely a silly and somewhat wasteful idea - not an actively bad one.

And yes it's real. We tried A for a year while I was in high school - and after a second-grader in the district I was in was hit by a car and carried to the hospital, the school district shifted its schedule so school started at 9:45. The little girl didn't return to school that year and is crippled for life.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Relative to where the time-zone lines would be if not adjusted for geographic and political barriers and various sillier reasons, most of the US was *already* an hour ahead of where we should be - and then most of the US (I think everywhere in the States except Arizona, plus the Navajo reservation in Arizona, minus the Hopi reservation inside the Navajo reservation in Arizona; dunno about territories and possessions) just shifted the clock another hour ahead.

And people keep saying we should keep the clocks that way year-round.

So which of the following do YOU think is a better idea:

A ) Grade-school kids in rural areas standing by the side of the road in the dark before sunrise, waiting for the school bus - and then having plenty of light in the evening to get off the school bus and run into the house.

B ) Grade-school kids in rural areas standing by the side of the road AFTER sunrise, when it's light so people can see them, waiting for the school bus - and then getting off the school bus in the dark and running into the house.

Me, I like B better. So DST in winter is a bad idea. Whether summer DST is useful is questionable, but at worst (and as far as I'm aware) it's merely a silly and somewhat wasteful idea - not an actively bad one.

And yes it's real. We tried A for a year while I was in high school - and after a second-grader in the district I was in was hit by a car and carried to the hospital, the school district shifted its schedule so school started at 9:45. The little girl didn't return to school that year and is crippled for life.

B is safer. The kids standing around waiting in the dark are a hazard for themselves.

What I've always found baffling is why it's supposedly easier to change the time the clock says rather than changing when we do things relative to the clock.

Indiana used to also ignore DST. From what I read (and if I remember correctly), the state legislature commissioned a study of the economic impact, and found that taking up DST like the rest of the country would have an economic impact on the state's economy of NEGATIVE 3 billion dollars a year - so they decided to do it.

"It must be good! Everyone is doing it!"

I remember that about Indiana. I lived in the Dayton, Ohio area for a short while (Stationed at Wright Pat).

Similar is moving from one side of a time zone to the other side. I've done that, too, also courtesy of the USAF. Fun times.

On 4/21/2023 at 1:58 AM, ProfessorTomoe said:

"No dogma"
Is dogma
"No dogma"
Is dogma
Without dogma
Where would we be?
Without dogma
What would we eat?

- The Judy's, "Don't Be a Hippie"

Based on the cover art, it appears that The Judy's are a proponent of cowma.

All in favor of being cowmatose, do nothing. Wow, that's quite a few followers!

Well, as they say, "To err is human, to moo is bovine."

On 4/22/2023 at 3:19 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

Based on the cover art, it appears that The Judy's are a proponent of cowma.

All i favor of being cowmatose, do nothing. Wow, that's quite a few followers!

Well, as they say, "To err is human, to moo is bovine."

/me add a bunch of stars, underlines and a note "To much cattle related"