• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP, Wednesday November 23, 2016

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Doubtful that Diane has change-blindness. Remember Sherlock Diane? Also, Diane's forte is stealth, which requires good situational awareness. If she were in my squad I'd put her on point. The only thing Diane was blind to for any length of time was her resemblance to Susan, and that only lasted a few days.

What I could see is Rhoda shrinking herself to normal height for Diane, forgetting Catalina in her pocket for the moment, in case she's spotted. Or maybe down to doll size to sneak past Diane and Lucy.

Speaking of Lucy, you all do remember she's the tallest of the regular female characters, don't you? Lucy might be even more likely to notice supersized Rhoda; she doesn't meet females taller than herself very often.

Lucy and/or Diane might spot Tall Rhoda and think "Hey, that tall girl looks a lot like Rhoda", but the conclusion of "It's a girl who looks like and is possibly related to Rhoda" is far easier to jump to than "Rhoda somehow grew taller by more than a foot since we last saw her", unless they had prior reason to believe that Rhoda had magic.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:
22 hours ago, Servant of Tara Gilesbie said:

Honestly, I understand Diane getting the pretzels unsalted if she's eating both of them. Pretzel shops have a tendency to overdo the salt, and no salt is definitely better than too much. Still wondering what horrible enchanting complication Rhoda missed.

What about having one salted and one unsalted and altering?

You'd think that'd help, but unless you can somehow get the salt from one pretzel to stick to the other it's better just to not bother in the first place (or just ask for less salt very, very politely)

35 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I tend to just brush off half the salt when I get a pretzel.

16 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

About half the salt on a fresh soft pretzel falls off when I try to bite it.

Assuming both are you are right, and the pretzel place in Woodland Hills mall is average, 1/4 as much salt is still to damn much most of the time.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

We have a big clue -- the extremely privileged way she acted when she muscled Susan into the France trip. This is not the action of someone recently into money by way of parental support. It is the action of Old Money getting what it feels is its Just and Rightful Consideration. Also, the way the principal just rolled over supports that. He was facing a taxpayer with a considerable load behind her and he knew it.

Susan's mom (I hesitate to call her "Mrs. Pompoms" because I see her going back to her maiden name like, for instance, my ex-wife) does act privileged in some ways. On the other hand, she doesn't seem to have any servants to help her run that huge house, and she even does the cooking. It could be that The Shive just didn't want to draw a bunch of servants and maybe have to actually create them as characters, but, still, it seems odd.

7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

she doesn't seem to have any servants to help her run that huge house

Did you see the remote control just to raise the television out of storage?  That house probably has every automatic and labor saving device known to architecture.  Add in to that Susan exhibits symptoms on being a neat freak.  If she got that personality trait from her mother, then no cleaning service could match what they would do for themselves anyway.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:
9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

We have a big clue -- the extremely privileged way she acted when she muscled Susan into the France trip. This is not the action of someone recently into money by way of parental support.

What parental support? She got some houses and several millions as her half on divorce. Mr. Pompoms forgot to make premarital agreement.

... ok, the way she behaves makes more likely she was always rich, but there ARE people capable to get into this mode in just ten years.

She's influential, some mothers would make the ex pay for some of their children's activities, take Amber's dad in Dumbing of Age, it was his money putting her through college and he wasn't happy about it.

I think in this case though, both Susan's parents probably had wealthy backgrounds, we haven't heard about what Mr Pompoms has been doing for the past several years after the divorce but I think that says a lot about his current involvement in Susan's life, it's possible that either he weaseled his way out of having to pay child support, or more likely Mrs Pompoms didn't want to even see his name again and so didn't pursue getting him to pay.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Did you see the remote control just to raise the television out of storage?  That house probably has every automatic and labor saving device known to architecture.  Add in to that Susan exhibits symptoms on being a neat freak.  If she got that personality trait from her mother, then no cleaning service could match what they would do for themselves anyway.

The remote was for the couch to lower the back of it, though I'd be more inclined to believe that was a one time thing considering Dan did it to correct the fact that he might have drew the couch too tall to begin with:

" This comic was a result of my deciding the back of the sofa was way too high and thinking of the most ridiculous way to correct it. "

He did flip-flop a bit on whether he'd keep that couch if he ever did another scene at Susan's or use a more fancy couch (with 90 degree turns!), so I dunno.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Susan's mom (I hesitate to call her "Mrs. Pompoms" because I see her going back to her maiden name like, for instance, my ex-wife)

Pompoms could be her maiden name.  Susan was upset enough to cut off much of her hair, and then to keep dying it dark blue for over a decade, so it wouldn't surprise me a bit if she insisted on changing her name to match her mother's instead of her father's.  Yes, her mother told her she shouldn't hate her daddy, but still.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

On the other hand, she doesn't seem to have any servants to help her run that huge house, and she even does the cooking. It could be that The Shive just didn't want to draw a bunch of servants and maybe have to actually create them as characters, but, still, it seems odd.

Servants don't have to be full-time.  They could have a maid service come in regularly, a secretary to deal with mail and pay bills and the like, a landscaping service outside, etc. and still send them all home when their tasks are done.  Heck, my mom has the Merry Maids come in once every couple of weeks to help her keep up now that she's getting older, and they just live in a regular house, not a mansion.  Two very tidy people don't take nearly as much help as a large family would.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That house probably has every automatic and labor saving device known to architecture.  Add in to that Susan exhibits symptoms on being a neat freak.  If she got that personality trait from her mother, then no cleaning service could match what they would do for themselves anyway.

I can definitely see a few Roomba scooting around, a central vac, automatic lawn sprnklers, etc.  But I don't see Susan's mom scrubbing toilets or dusting the chandeliers.  A maid service once a week, or perhaps rotating through the house doing a thorough cleaning of one floor or section at a time on MWF, seems likely.

On the other hand, it's possible the house is left over from a time when they had more money, and now they can only afford the taxes and have to do all the inside daily maintainance themselves.  I still don't see Susan's mom out on a riding mower or using a power hedge clipper, though.

18 hours ago, ijuin said:

Lucy and/or Diane might spot Tall Rhoda and think "Hey, that tall girl looks a lot like Rhoda", but the conclusion of "It's a girl who looks like and is possibly related to Rhoda" is far easier to jump to than "Rhoda somehow grew taller by more than a foot since we last saw her", unless they had prior reason to believe that Rhoda had magic.

Especially if they "last saw her" earlier the same day in school.

18 hours ago, Servant of Tara Gilesbie said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:
On 11/23/2016 at 7:28 AM, Servant of Tara Gilesbie said:

Honestly, I understand Diane getting the pretzels unsalted if she's eating both of them. Pretzel shops have a tendency to overdo the salt, and no salt is definitely better than too much. Still wondering what horrible enchanting complication Rhoda missed.

What about having one salted and one unsalted and altering?

You'd think that'd help, but unless you can somehow get the salt from one pretzel to stick to the other it's better just to not bother in the first place (or just ask for less salt very, very politely)

I still can't agree with "no salt is better than too much". After all, salt is more important than gold. But it's true I don't know how much US pretzel shops are overdoing it.

7 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
16 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Susan's mom (I hesitate to call her "Mrs. Pompoms" because I see her going back to her maiden name like, for instance, my ex-wife)

Pompoms could be her maiden name.  Susan was upset enough to cut off much of her hair, and then to keep dying it dark blue for over a decade, so it wouldn't surprise me a bit if she insisted on changing her name to match her mother's instead of her father's.  Yes, her mother told her she shouldn't hate her daddy, but still.

Alternatively, it's possible she forced Mr. Pompoms to change name when they married. But yes, technically we are not sure about their names and calling them Mr and Mrs Pompoms is just for simplicity.

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
16 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That house probably has every automatic and labor saving device known to architecture.  Add in to that Susan exhibits symptoms on being a neat freak.  If she got that personality trait from her mother, then no cleaning service could match what they would do for themselves anyway.

I can definitely see a few Roomba scooting around, a central vac, automatic lawn sprnklers, etc.  But I don't see Susan's mom scrubbing toilets or dusting the chandeliers.  A maid service once a week, or perhaps rotating through the house doing a thorough cleaning of one floor or section at a time on MWF, seems likely.

Also, how long could Roombas possibly be around in EGS? And while they have intercom, it's broken. I'm not sure the house is that much high-tech. Maid service once or twice a week seems more likely.

16 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

and she even does the cooking

While she can't be as bored as Pandora, she can still be bored with life enough to cook just to have something to do, although she would likely not admit it.

Taking another look at the last panel, I took another look at Lucy and thought about why she's so angry. Could it be that Lucy's packing a few extra pounds? (Probably more muscle than...not muscle.) Diane, on the other hand, is, let's face it, kind of skinny. Having a guy reminding her about carbs can be interpreted as "Hey, babe, don't go porky on me."

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I still can't agree with "no salt is better than too much". After all, salt is more important than gold. But it's true I don't know how much US pretzel shops are overdoing it.

At some places the top is completely encrusted in salt grains.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Taking another look at the last panel, I took another look at Lucy and thought about why she's so angry. Could it be that Lucy's packing a few extra pounds? (Probably more muscle than...not muscle.) Diane, on the other hand, is, let's face it, kind of skinny. Having a guy reminding her about carbs can be interpreted as "Hey, babe, don't go porky on me."

I don't believe that Lucy has put on any weight, she could still be offended by the comment though. Diane was certainly offended and her comment was basically "you're paying extra for that one"

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I don't believe that Lucy has put on any weight, she could still be offended by the comment though. Diane was certainly offended and her comment was basically "you're paying extra for that one"

I do. She put on few extra pounds, which is impossible to see except on boobs but she's still sensitive to it.

Regarding Diane being skinny, however ... she's shorter than Susan and Susan is not lanky.

On 11/23/2016 at 0:28 AM, Servant of Tara Gilesbie said:

What's Orange Julius?

On 11/23/2016 at 2:27 AM, Stature said:

A juice shop, like Muscle Beach Lemonade (something like that)

Oh, but it was so much more when I was growing up (b. 1963). That's back when you could have a raw egg white added to your whipped orange drink. Delicious. The original Orange Julius was a "special occasion" thing in our family, until they wimped out on the eggs and started closing stores a few years later. Now, they're just an unexciting orange juice shop.