• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Generic Table top gaming.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

NFT_Case_Conflict.jpg

You might use it with a bluff check and and/or and intimidate check, "I own the Non-Fungible Trident! Do you know what I could do with that?", as long as the other party was ignorant of the curse. And didn't ask to see your trident. Maybe you could carry a reasonable facsimile, for intimidation purposes.

15 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

You might use it with a bluff check and and/or and intimidate check, "I own the Non-Fungible Trident! Do you know what I could do with that?", as long as the other party was ignorant of the curse. And didn't ask to see your trident. Maybe you could carry a reasonable facsimile, for intimidation purposes.

Of course if they are familiar with the curse, the are racked with laughter for 1d6  turns.  Not enough to give a disadvantage on their attacks, but enough to be irritating, 

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Of course if they are familiar with the curse, the are racked with laughter for 1d6  turns.  Not enough to give a disadvantage on their attacks, but enough to be irritating, 

Are you allowed to visit it in the vault?

4 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Are you allowed to visit it in the vault?

No, of course not.  That would make it a fungible trident.

Just now, mlooney said:

No, of course not.  That would make it a fungible trident.

It sure would. I would want to grab it and wish that I could hold it.

5e attunement means that you have to keep in contact with it for an hour.  The masters of the vault will stop that.  Of course there are masters of the vault, magical dudebros need something to do.

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

5e attunement means that you have to keep in contact with it for an hour.  The masters of the vault will stop that.  Of course there are masters of the vault, magical dudebros need something to do.

The wish won't override?

20 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I want The Abacus of Mercinades the Merchant Master. I've heard that no matter how bad your situation, you can always count on it.

Reminds me of the Tates Compass

This legendary traveler's aid is an apparently ordinary magnetic compass of good quality that has the remarkable feature of being able to point in ANY direction EXCEPT due north or the way the traveler should go.  Despite this inconvenience, those who hold the Compass from Tates will believe it over any and all contradictory directional information.  Thus the infamous company slogan.  He Who Has A Tates Is Lost.

56 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Tates Compass

/me <google>  OK,  this isn't yours.  Still adding a notion your page.  

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

The wishes don't happen until you get attuned to it.

I wish I didn't have to attune to it, ever.

(I realized a second after I clicked 'post that this would probably make the Trident disappear.)

14 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I wish I didn't have to attune to it, ever.

(I realized a second after I clicked 'post that this would probably make the Trident disappear.)

Since you can't use the wish until you attune to it and it will be taken from you before you attune to it, the wish doesn't happen.  But if it did, yeah, it would most likely cease to exist.

On 5/22/2022 at 9:18 AM, mlooney said:

Since you can't use the wish until you attune to it and it will be taken from you before you attune to it, the wish doesn't happen.  But if it did, yeah, it would most likely cease to exist.

You would need an independent wish, then you could use the trident.

9 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

You would need an independent wish, then you could use the trident.

Probably not.  They have nerfed the wish spell quite a lot in 5e.  It's no longer the universe changing thing it used to be.  It has some specified uses and a general "other" use, but the other is rather tightly tied to what the DM wants to do to mess with you.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Wish#content

Similarly, wishing for a legendary magic item or artifact might instantly transport you to the presence of the item's current owner

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Probably not.  They have nerfed the wish spell quite a lot in 5e.  It's no longer the universe changing thing it used to be.  It has some specified uses and a general "other" use, but the other is rather tightly tied to what the DM wants to do to mess with you.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Wish#content

As if it didn't already do that.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:36 AM, mlooney said:

NFT_Case_Conflict.jpg

From the original Facebook post:

Edit: it is truly amazing how many people immediately try to pedant their way around the limitations

On 6/2/2022 at 3:47 PM, mlooney said:

Edit: it is truly amazing how many people immediately try to pedant their way around the limitations 

Not really; it is an overpowered item, of course people want it. Unlimited wishes?

I'm sure some creative soul can come up with good uses for the paper image.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Someone other than Mr Whipple, of course

Even Mr. Whipple's use would be good.  Once anyway.

On 6/2/2022 at 0:47 PM, mlooney said:
On 6/2/2022 at 0:47 PM, mlooney said:

It’s a tabletop RPG—players are notorious for trying to rules-lawyer their way out of everything.

20 minutes ago, ijuin said:

It’s a tabletop RPG—players are notorious for trying to rules-lawyer their way out of everything.

And WotC, bless their little hearts, has been trying to say "rule 0 exists" for several versions of the game.  Granted they went overboard with detailed rules for 3.x, but 5e is fairly rules light and depends a lot more on "Rulings, not Rules".  I'm not saying it OSR, but there has been an attempt to reduce the option of being a rules lawyer.  The fact that 5e eliminated prestige classes so really over the top "builds" aren't really an option is a good thing. I don't recall is rule 0 was a printed thing in 4e, I've tried to forget as much as possible about it.