• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Generic Table top gaming.

in 5e there aren't skill points, you either have proficiency or you don't.  Having proficiency lets you add your proficiency bonus to the roll.  The target numbers for skill checks (and for that matter all checks) is lower in 5e than in 3.5.  By a large margin.

I'm sorta surprised a google of "Gnome Battle Hat D&D" doesn't return any thing about a battle hat as such, just Gnomes in battle, or how to make a gnome hat.

Of course it depends on what universe of D&D you are playing in as to whether of not there is a Switzerland.  I ran a "18th century, but with magic" game that had Switzerland.   The Gnomes of Zurich were bankers mainly of course.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Of course it depends on what universe of D&D you are playing in as to whether of not there is a Switzerland.  I ran a "18th century, but with magic" game that had Switzerland.   The Gnomes of Zurich were bankers mainly of course.

Competing with the goblins, no doubt.

Yeah, but with a little less antisemitism.  Just a little, but "Gnome" doesn't have the same feel as "goblin", at least in the Harry Potter contex.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Yeah, but with a little less antisemitism.  Just a little, but "Gnome" doesn't have the same feel as "goblin", at least in the Harry Potter contex.

WoW gnomes are Jewish-ish, FWIW.

D&D (and it's clones) "Rules as written"  Gnomes are one of the few modern pop culture things that doesn't give big noses to Gnomes and tend to not make them bankers.  Even early version had them be Illusionists as their "default" class. 

D&D (and it's clones) "Rules as written"  Gnomes are one of the few modern pop culture things that doesn't give big noses to Gnomes and tend to not make them bankers.  Even early version had them be Illusionists as their "default" class. 

To be fair, D&D (and it's clones) "Rules as written" Goblins aren't bankers, either. Steve Jackson Games has an RPG based on Victorian England inhabited by Goblins, that might be the closest.

True.  Actually there really aren't bankers as such in fantasy table top role playing games.  Modern and SF, yeah, but not fantasy.  Which of course leads to the characters getting a bag of holding just to hold their gold.

The latest version of One D&D has dropped.  It's life clerics this time, some changes to Ardling and Dragonborn and added Goliath as a playable species.  Also as of this drop "race" is replaced by "species".   Some spell changes and a few other tweaks rules mechanics.  Crit is as current Player's Handbook.  1 is not  an auto fail on ability scores and saving throws but does get you inspiration.  Also added a few more 20th level "epic" feats. 

36 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Is this the next edition, beyond DnD 5? Is it WotC?

The WotC Websitelinks to DnD One, it is clearly WotC property. Weird that it is not marked as such. I wonder if the Hasbro mothership has ominous plans for gutting WotC. They have a recently installed new leadership from the mothership. This can't be good. Hmm, the detailed article spins it as somewhat benign ...

Playtest conjoined with official says, yes, this is the next DnD, eventually. Looks like it will more or less require the presence of a computer to play. Maybe today that's not so bad. Phones are ubiquitous, and laptops are not uncommon.

Additional thought, the last board game I played that required a computer did not go well. The new release of Dark Tower used a phone app for all random events and control of the tower; it was buggy, and at one point, the guy running it made a mistake, and there was no undo. It was not fun.

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I wonder if the Hasbro mothership has ominous plans for gutting WotC

Given that a WotC executive is in charge of most of Hasbro, it's more likely that WotC is gutting Hasbro.  Also DNDBeyond is owned by WotC.   Right now, at least, there isn't any "require a computer to play" things for D&D, just they recognize the rise in virtual table tops and for some reason decided on DNDBeyond instead of Roll20 to be the one they bought.

Given that a WotC executive is in charge of most of Hasbro, it's more likely that WotC is gutting Hasbro.  Also DNDBeyond is owned by WotC.   Right now, at least, there isn't any "require a computer to play" things for D&D, just they recognize the rise in virtual table tops and for some reason decided on DNDBeyond instead of Roll20 to be the one they bought.

A downside of that is that there is less monetary support for a broad field of virtual table tops, and the ones that support marginally supported games may disappear.

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

A downside of that is that there is less monetary support for a broad field of virtual table tops, and the ones that support marginally supported games may disappear.

Actually looking at what D&D Beyond does, it's an online books and character creation site.  It' doesn't actually have a virtual table top option.  So I expect WotC to buy out Roll20 in the next couple of years.

I really want to watch the "Official" YouTube videos on One D&D.  The problem is that Jeremy Crawford drives me up the wall.  There is something about his voice and mannerism that is Just Wrong and I can only watch 6-8 minutes worth of a 25-30 minute long video.