• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Generic Table top gaming.

so, for those of you that play 40K, it has come to my attention that:

- one of the leading producers of offbrand 40K miniatures is Ukrainian

- said company is selling Ukrainian Armed Forces-themed Imperial Guard miniatures now

https://tortuga-gamestable.top/index.php?route=product/category&path=251_250

I like the minis, they look well executed. What is interesting is that they also, in addition to selling the minis, sell the files to print the minis. Ah, only the Ukrainian Guards.

Tortuga is a Spanish name, the island Tortuga is associated with pirates. I suppose there is a connection somewhere.

Have you ordered from them? Are they reliable?

6 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Have you ordered from them? Are they reliable?

No, I haven't  If and when I get back into WH40K they will be on my list of people to get figures from.  My current hatred of Game Workshop is with out bounds.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

No, I haven't  If and when I get back into WH40K they will be on my list of people to get figures from.  My current hatred of Game Workshop is with out bounds.

They are out of my price range. I do like some of their minis when I run across them on sale; have many that I've picked up at closeouts over the years. Not recently, though.

The style of the GW and derivitive minis puts some folks off, they are not 'scale minis', have exaggerated heads and hands. I think in a sense they look better, more focused on how we perceive. Truly a mater of taste, though, and mostly they don't mix well, at least the humans and near humanoids.

12 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The style of the GW and derivitive minis puts some folks off, they are not 'scale minis', have exaggerated heads and hands. I think in a sense they look better, more focused on how we perceive. Truly a mater of taste, though, and mostly they don't mix well, at least the humans and near humanoids.

Of course it was GW that lead to the "28mm" scale figures.  Before them it was "25mm" scale, but they wanted theirs to be just a bit bigger.  Also ruled out using them in other games or using other figures in their games, as the scale would appear wrong.  Of course everyone went with 28mm later.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Of course it was GW that lead to the "28mm" scale figures.  Before them it was "25mm" scale, but they wanted theirs to be just a bit bigger.  Also ruled out using them in other games or using other figures in their games, as the scale would appear wrong.  Of course everyone went with 28mm later.

The orcs and such are OK mixed if you stick to just theirs. The skaven, no one else really competes with. The lizardmen are odd, too many subspecies; unless you're playing WarHamster, probably best to use any one. Their undead are just weird, skulls don't have expressive faces.

They have many decent generic monsters that have no definition in any other system, giving you free rein to be inventive.

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:

They have many decent generic monsters that have no definition in any other system, giving you free rein to be inventive.

Be careful being inventive with figures.  Doing that with a bag of "monsters" from Japan gave up Owlbears and Rust Monsters.

Just now, mlooney said:

Be careful being inventive with figures.  Doing that with a bag of "monsters" from Japan gave up Owlbears and Rust Monsters.

I actually had that 'bag of monsters' - iirc, it was labelled as 'Dinosaurs'. Had the Bulette as well.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I did a search on "owlbear dinosaurs" on Amazon and got nothing like that bag.  I suspect it's long out of "print".

I bought it in Albuquerque in 1979 or 1980ish for gaming; I don't know which store. I've only seen for sale it that one time. They had several, but I don't think they ever restocked.

I eventually parted with them, but now, knowing the history, kind of wish I had kept them.

47 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I bought it in Albuquerque in 1979 or 1980ish for gaming; I don't know which store. I've only seen for sale it that one time. They had several, but I don't think they ever restocked.

I eventually parted with them, but now, knowing the history, kind of wish I had kept them.

That would be "long out of print".  I suspect that if I look on ebay there will be some, at $100+ cost.

I played Everdell last night. Three of the four of us were new to the game. It played a lot like Lords of Waterdeep, worker placement for limited resources. The owner had all the expansions, but we just played the base game, fortunate, because we still finished very late. It was an intriguing game with deep strategy that was also a kid friendly theme.

The three of us that were new to the game were within points of each other, and the owner, who had played before, was well ahead of us based on achieving specific goals.

The BoardGameGeek rating on Everdell is phenomenally good. It is a countdown rating system similar to the one used for songs, with categories of interest, and it rates well in three.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
Added comment about the game's rating.

I have 2 table top game project I should be working on.  Right now it's really too cold in the house to spend several hours at the desk1 working on them, but I've added them to my "in the new year" project pile.  

I'm typing this in bed on my chrome book, which  isn't really set up to work on either Project X or Edge.

8 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Will you ever get around to procrastinating?  Or will you keep putting it off?

I'll think about doing that next week.

That flew over my head. Who knew mimics could fly?

Assuming the mimic can't tell that you are casting that spell on it, that's a reasonable test to see if a chest is a mimic. Either the chest follows you out, or you know it's a mimic. Win/win?

12 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Assuming the mimic can't tell that you are casting that spell on it, that's a reasonable test to see if a chest is a mimic. Either the chest follows you out, or you know it's a mimic. Win/win?

The standard way of checking for mimic is poke it with a 10 foot pole.  Hard.

The 10 foot pole has been an item trope in D&D for as long as I can remember. You have to wonder, 'Why?'

- If ten foot poles were sufficient to avoid harm, you can be damn sure that the radius of 'harm' will increase to compensate.

- Carrying a ten foot pole is not exactly conducive to stealth. Hopefully, someone in the group has an extra-dimensional bag to carry it.

(There should be an extra-dimensional holder designed just for the poles, no?)

-  In the standard D&D grid system back in the day, everything was in ten foot units. So pits were ten feet across. Wouldn't it make sense to have a pole that could reach across the pit?

Seems to me that anyone serious about having a pole handy would have an segmented pole that could be extended. The joints would be weak points, so you'd want fairly long segments. I could see a twenty foot pole in five foot segments.

Might also be perfect for shrinking as a removable image like on the robe of useful items.

14 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'd be willing to bet that many DMs would not allow the Quiver of Ehlonna to hold a ten foot pole. None of the examples are that long. Seems like you should be able to have one custom made, though, right?

If I'm recalling correctly, the only medieval weapons in that size range would be a lance and a pike, for similar reasons. Both involve taking out a mounted combatant, or alternately attacking a pike wielding troop from horseback, and are at extreme length for a melee weapon.

Did you ever wonder, "Who makes Ehlonna quiver? Was it Stretch Wadzhewski, the ten foot Pole on the Warsaw basketball team?"