• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

8 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I expect that panda to be some sort of talking animal that turns out to be a vital (or vitally hindering) part of Ashley's Magical Girl transformation

Let's wait on what Kevin teaches her before we start assuming Magical Girl transformation.  Of course this is EGS so that's a likely option.

Ashley is right.  Grace is smart.

But her unusual childhood left her lacking in some social skills

She has gotten better

But depending on how Ashley portrays this "obliviousness"?

This could go places where we already have been

52 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But her unusual childhood left her lacking in some social skills

She has gotten better

Only sorta better on some subjects.  Like her lack of a "nudity taboo".  She knows it might upset some people, but sometimes, she gets carried away and forgets the taboo exists.  Like when she had the "Stacked Enchantment Clothing Failure".  She was so excited about having it she forgot that her being naked had problems with some people. 

18 hours ago, mlooney said:

Let's wait on what Kevin teaches her before we start assuming Magical Girl transformation.  Of course this is EGS so that's a likely option.

Given that Magic likes to give people spells that it thinks reflect who they are, and that Elliot got a Superheroine spell, it is quite possible that Ashley would get a Mahou Shoujo spell once she develops her energy capacity sufficiently.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

Mahou Shoujo

<google> Why didn't you just say "Magical Girl"?

Ranting about languages aside, if Ashley is a wizard, she doesn't get spells of her own.  She can learn other people's spells, so I expect that once she has a enough power to cast it, she will get Elliot's Cheerleadra spell and probably a few of Ellen's beam spells.

AFAIK, Wizards do develop spells of their own, but can learn other people’s spells in addition to that. If this is incorrect, then please direct me to where the comic says that Wizards do not get their own spells.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

AFAIK, Wizards do develop spells of their own, but can learn other people’s spells in addition to that. If this is incorrect, then please direct me to where the comic says that Wizards do not get their own spells.

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/sister3-286

Arthur didn't say that she would get her own spells, just she would be able to get other peoples spells. 

I'm pretty sure we know that seers do not get spells of their own. (Let's see, did the whales tell Tedd that? Um... not exactly. Tedd is a "far more dangerous rarity" than a spellcaster. Later we learn that Tedd is a seer, but is that the rarity in question, or is he also something else?)

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

True, but absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I will wait for Word of Dan on whether Wizards get spells of their own.

Edward says the same thing here, in that wizards learn other people spells.  Still doesn't say if they get their own spells or not.  But this is two times the other people's spell thing is mentioned with out the getting their own spells.  Still could go either way.

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2008-11-26

Word of The Dan, but It still doesn't say if wizards get their own spells.

Wizards are different because most people just get spells that reflect who they are while wizards can learn other peoples spells, and dreaming covers anyone who has magic abilities without having awakened.

Here is the Shiveapedia thing on wizards and it's firmly in the wishy-washy camp.  Doesn't say one way or the other.  

Actually I followed the reference link.  Tedd says that they may or may not get spell of their own, so it goes both ways, at least as far as what could be called a canon source.

The “may or may not” line sounds like Wizards as a category are capable of getting spells of there own, but not all actually do so in practice.

14 hours ago, mlooney said:

Ranting about languages aside, if Ashley is a wizard, she doesn't get spells of her own.  She can learn other people's spells, so I expect that once she has a enough power to cast it, she will get Elliot's Cheerleadra spell and probably a few of Ellen's beam spells.

I believe the fact that seers can't get their own spells is one of the things that sets them apart from other wizards, implying that other wizards do get their own spells. (This was one of the things Pandora mentioned to Heka that led to him telling her about seers. I seem to recall it being mentioned mentioned at some other point as well, with the implication being stronger that time, but I don't remember where.)

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I believe the fact that seers can't get their own spells is one of the things that sets them apart from other wizards, implying that other wizards do get their own spells. (This was one of the things Pandora mentioned to Heka that led to him telling her about seers. I seem to recall it being mentioned mentioned at some other point as well, with the implication being stronger that time, but I don't remember where.)

Pandora said "magic users" not "wizard", which may or may not be important in this case.  Two of the three places where wizard, by name, are mentioned it's said that they get other people's spells with no indication that they get their own.  In the 3rd it's said that they may or may not get spells of their own.  My feeling is that some do and some don't.  Also Arthur described himself as a "wizard with a quirk", which tells me that a wizard not getting spells of their own isn't unheard of.