• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Illjwamh

Comic for Wednesday, June 1, 2022

It is hard to say Dwight has strong convictions because they have probably never been tested.  He would just repeat what his parents, teachers & superior officers said & they would call him a "Good Boy"

Even so, it is ego crushing when you must admit being wrong to yourself.

But don't worry about Dwight's ego. Soon enough he will rationalize it with something like "the exception to the rule" or "if she's not a threat to us, she must be a traitor to her own kind".

And yes, Dwight, there were reasons for placing restrictions on the Uryuoms.  In the immediate aftermath of the war thousands of years ago there were reasons.  Once the dust settled, any reason not reevaluated eventually became just an excuse

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling

16 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Even so, it is ego crushing when you must admit being wrong to yourself.

It makes it easier that it is a respected mentor figure doing the correction rather than an opponent.

16 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And yes, Dwight, there were reasons for placing restrictions on the Uryuoms.  In the immediate aftermath of the war thousands of years ago there were reasons.  Once the dust settled, any reason not reevaluated eventually became just an excuse

I think that it is rather like the disarming of Germany and Japan after WWII. It was necessary for a generation or two in order to prevent the angry individuals with grievances from starting another war (as Germany started WWII in revenge for their losses in WWI). However, now that everyone who fought in and made policy in WWII is dying of old age, most of the population does not have an emotional investment in the war any more, and so it is now appropriate to reassess the situation in terms of present security needs rather than the old war.

I also find it interesting that the cultures of the Other Side have such a long continuity—the only present cultures in our world that extend back before the Bronze Age Collapse are Egypt, India, and China, and all of those have experienced a change of main religions since then. Come to think of it, very few people currently even practice religions from before the Bronze Age Collapse. Just about anything from before that era is to us “barely-remembered prehistory”. 

A

On 6/1/2022 at 0:16 PM, ijuin said:

Come to think of it, very few people currently even practice religions from before the Bronze Age Collapse. Just about anything from before that era is to us “barely-remembered prehistory”. 

And yet, clearly remembered well enough in Griffinstan that it fuels prejudice to this day. Curious, something is off on one side of the world or the other. Have repeated resets of Magic inadvertently caused such a loss of records on our side that even the existence of Uryoums, much less their attempted coup, been forgotten? Was it in fact, inadvertent?

Alternatively, has memory of the attempted conquest been artificially maintained on the other side to preserve a system of royalty?

42 minutes ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

has memory of the attempted conquest been artificially maintained on the other side to preserve a system of royalty?

That is my guess

If no one "outside" the royal class" has overthrown the system, then those inside must be working very hard to ensure the perception that they can not be removed

And if the Uryuom battle was the event that put the current ruling class in power, or was the last significant challenge to their power, then the succeeding generations of this group of rulers would make sure everyone knew why they were conquering heroes

23 hours ago, ijuin said:

Come to think of it, very few people currently even practice religions from before the Bronze Age Collapse. Just about anything from before that era is to us “barely-remembered prehistory”. 

That's not exactly true. Animism is practiced world wide; it's not really an organized religion, per se, but fills the same niche. It seems to me that Paganism is a flavor of Animism.

The interesting thing to me is they're not wrong; the trees communicate with each other, as do many fungi. Not to mention that to a bacteria. sex is basically a data exchange, a consultation on how to thrive better in the environment.

I wonder how long a griffin lives?  A long lived creature might hold on to "several thousand years ago" historical events more than a shorter lived creature.  If a griffin lived 500 years or so, that would make the events with the Uryoums be only a few generations ago and within "recent" historical records.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I wonder how long a griffin lives?  A long lived creature might hold on to "several thousand years ago" historical events more than a shorter lived creature.  If a griffin lived 500 years or so, that would make the events with the Uryoums be only a few generations ago and within "recent" historical records.

Maybe not. If, say for instance, we lived a lot longer, the memories of long past events might become convenient summaries. Even within our reasonably long, for earth critters, lifetimes, that's already true. Summarized, crunched down, encapsulated, and pretty soon, you don't have much actual content.

26 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Summarized, crunched down, encapsulated, and pretty soon, you don't have much actual content.

Historians, both professional and amateur try to get "primary sources".  The general public might not have good data, but at least some sophonts will have more or less accurate data, even given the "winners write history" aspect of even primary sources. 

Just now, mlooney said:

Historians, both professional and amateur try to get "primary sources".  The general public might not have good data, but at least some sophonts will have more or less accurate data, even given the "winners write history" aspect of even primary sources. 

That does not depend on how long lived the species is.

"Winners write history" is not correct. Everyone writes history for themselves. We have a different version of what happened in Vietnam than Vietnam does. Japan has a different version of WWII than we do. The American South has take great pains to influence the telling of the narrative of the American Civil War, not to anyone's benefit.

42 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

That does not depend on how long lived the species is.

Yes and no.  A longer lived species is more likely to keep records in a form that a "modern" reader can access.