• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Comic for Friday June 3, 2022

An interesting revelation for Elliot. I like where this is heading for him, but I have to scratch my head and wonder what refrigerator carton he was isolating in that this is news. Elliot seems prone to these revelations filling voids of understanding that he should not have at his age. At least he's willing to learn.

I like Liam's approach to conflict resolution.

The sunglasses are interesting. Elliot is not seeing sunglasses; they are the comic's token for us to see Elliot's perception that there is something outstanding about both Edward's and Liam's approaches to de-escalating the immediate situation. It is much like, we don't live in the world around us, we live in a model in our head of the real world around us, unless and until, like Wiley Coyote, the real world has to forcibly correct our model.

Ashley also 'saw' tokenized sun glasses, on Susan. I am coming around to Liz's thinking that Ashley and Elliot are less than ideal for each other. They are too similar; Susan, in contrast, stretched Elliot's interests and motivated him to participate in what became a popular movie review; he also was exposed to a wider variety of movies than he was used to. I would say she expanded his horizons. A short conversation with Liz opened up new, albeit negative, vistas for Elliot. Za?

Susan is, of course, off the table because of her own issues which have yet to be dealt with. She seriously needs some counseling. A Liz might not be beneficial for Elliot; while revealing flaws in his world-view, the inherent cynicism and negativity might push him in a dark direction that he does not need. Hmm.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

An interesting revelation for Elliot. I like where this is heading for him, but I have to scratch my head and wonder what refrigerator carton he was isolating in that this is news.  ....

.... It is much like, we don't live in the world around us, we live in a model in our head of the real world around us, unless and until, like Wiley Coyote, the real world has to forcibly correct our model.

The second quote (which I am definitely stealing) answers the first question. I note that Dwight seems to be having a similar revelation. Both of them are young--Elliot, at least, is much younger than I am, and I still get the occasional reality check. My suspicion is that that will keep happening until my neural pathways fossilize.

In Elliot's defense, many people need a lot more nudging--or hammering-- to come to this sort of epiphany.

2 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

The second quote (which I am definitely stealing) answers the first question. I note that Dwight seems to be having a similar revelation. Both of them are young--Elliot, at least, is much younger than I am, and I still get the occasional reality check. My suspicion is that that will keep happening until my neural pathways fossilize.

In Elliot's defense, many people need a lot more nudging--or hammering-- to come to this sort of epiphany.

He does seem willing to learn, at least in the sense of being open minded. There is an intellectual laziness about him though, typified by the "Did you read your spell book?" thing, but also highlighted by some of the incompatibilities between Elliot ("Yeah, I'm content to stay in Moperville") and Sarah ("I want to travel and see things"). I wouldn't call him dull witted so much as complacent.

In contrast to Dwight, though, Elliot seems to have internalized a sense of fairness.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Looks like the "be evil" thing that Elliot was doing didn't have a post burnout long term effect.  This is good.

Very evil people often bring more suffering with their words than with their fists.

And bow ties are extreemly cool as all fans of Les Nessman know

He wants to prevent punching, which tends to indicate he's not really thinking evil.

Bow ties are meh at best.  This might be related to the fact that I don't know how to tie a bow tie, but I do know how to tie a normal one.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Very evil people often bring more suffering with their words than with their fists.

Very true, I'd say that's the norm.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And bow ties are extremely cool as all fans of Les Nessman know

Never thought of Les as embodying 'cool', kind of the opposite.

Bill Nye rocks them.

42 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And bow ties are extremely cool as all fans of Les Nessman know

Never thought of Les as embodying 'cool', kind of the opposite.

While I can see "fans" of Johnny Fever, I'm having a trouble with fans of <Les NESSSMANN> <reverb in full effect>.  Of course of all the members of WKRP's staff I would be closest to Les in real life.  Ah, back in the days before nerds were cool.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

While I can see "fans" of Johnny Fever, I'm having a trouble with fans of <Les NESSSMANN> <reverb in full effect>.  Of course of all the members of WKRP's staff I would be closest to Les in real life.  Ah, back in the days before nerds were cool.

I like Johnny Fever. One of my favorite scenes is "It's Johnnnnny ... (can't remember latest assumed name, looks at coffee mug) ... Feverrr".

It's too bad that due to musical licensing problems you can't watch WRKP with any degree of ease.  A little googling and it seems you can watch it on Apple TV, but I'm not subscribing to Apple TV and paying per episode.  Might look for a green parrot version some day.

12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So there is no need to punch people if they are willing to listen.

And if people are not willing to listen, punch them.

This fits well with my "always punch Nazis" philosophy.