• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Friday June 10, 2022

Comic for Friday June 10, 2022

Virginia seems to assume EGS side Uryuoms come from another world; they could come from the Griffin side, through the portal. That has been implied in earlier comics.

She does not seem to think less of Grace for being Seyunolu; it seems like she would, but I guess their culture is after all, alien.

34 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Virginia seems to assume EGS side Uryuoms come from another world; they could come from the Griffin side, through the portal.

That would match up with currently known lore, or what we have been told by various people.  Still doesn't explain Will & Gill's access to the TF gun, and claiming that the reason why it was illegal was "object oriented programming".  You have to be fairly far up a tech tree for OOP to even be a thing.  Of course there is the possibity that the Disco Wizard was wrong about Uryuoms and that they are in fact space aliens.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

That would match up with currently known lore, or what we have been told by various people.  Still doesn't explain Will & Gill's access to the TF gun, and claiming that the reason why it was illegal was "object oriented programming".  You have to be fairly far up a tech tree for OOP to even be a thing.  Of course there is the possibity that the Disco Wizard was wrong about Uryuoms and that they are in fact space aliens.

Uryuoms on the EGS side have tech that is sufficiently beyond present human tech that it is unlikely to have been developed on modern EGS side Earth. It is probable that some of it is renmant tech from the original interstellar expedition.

Will implied that his father made the TF gun but, due to recently passed laws, it was illegal to sell, but not own.  Unless Uryuoms are very long lived something doesn't line up.  That being said, I'm fairly sure that this is going to be resolved in the next week or two, based on what The Dan said in his comments about the next comic "heavily features Virginia and Grace in this same setting."  Or it may be explained by Edward during the debrief.

Perhaps Uryuoms and Seyunolu are more common across the multiverse than Virginia thinks

If there are accessible worlds where Seyunolu live freely in the open, or if there are places they can contact where Uryuoms are the majority intelligent species, then the Uryuoms on the Griffon world must never be allowed to hear of them.

Ultra tech worlds filled with vengeance seeking armies would not be good for a royal house that has gone unchallenged for thousands of years.

And when Grace tells Virginia she's a lot of stuff, does that include being the fiancée of a Seer who happens to be the son of the Royal her boss just tried to kill?

Of course there is the possibity that the Disco Wizard was wrong about Uryuoms and that they are in fact space aliens.

I'm figuring this is going to be shown to be a 'from a certain point of view' statement. Not wrong, but not straight up true either.

You have to be fairly far up a tech tree for OOP to even be a thing.

Not necessarily. LISP is one of the oldest programming languages, it is basically an algorithm specification language that was ported to hardware; it is a couple of steps from OOP. Algorithms per se are ancient. You might arrive at OOP well before hardware. Lady Ada Augusta Lovelace was programming Charles Babbage's Analytic Engine that was never built in their lifetimes.

55 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Uryuoms on the EGS side have tech that is sufficiently beyond present human tech that it is unlikely to have been developed on modern EGS side Earth. It is probable that some of it is renmant tech from the original interstellar expedition.

The spaceships, certainly. The magic gizmos, not so much, if you allow for interfacing tech to Uryuom magic, evidence, Tedd was treating it as a kind of computer hacking early on.

26 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Perhaps Uryuoms and Seyunolu are more common across the multiverse than Virginia thinks

If there are accessible worlds where Seyunolu live freely in the open, or if there are places they can contact where Uryuoms are the majority intelligent species, then the Uryuoms on the Griffon world must never be allowed to hear of them.

Ultra tech worlds filled with vengeance seeking armies would not be good for a royal house that has gone unchallenged for thousands of years.

And when Grace tells Virginia she's a lot of stuff, does that include being the fiancée of a Seer who happens to be the son of the Royal her boss just tried to kill?

Our genetic code is more like a house of cards than like a blueprint. Individual proteins and such are coded for, but how these segments are activated, then how the products these combine and interact and form structures and organs is more of an orchestrated happenstance. 

Fictitious aliens that 'combine DNA' and for a hybrid for, like the xenomorphs in the Aliens franchise, or like Seyunolu from Uryuom eggs make no sense. Even 'how many Uryuoms mated in this egg' makes no sense in our experience. How many sets of DNA do the cells have? For that matter, what happens when not all the parents use DNA? Or not the same base pairs? Or a reverse chirality?

But suppose they could; the xenomorphs are highly adapted to absorbing DNA (Why? How was this an evolutionary advantage?), the Uryuom egg (which is essentially an actual female sex of Uryuom, it would seem) somehow weeds our the excess and comes up with a reasonable critter to come forth. After all, it seems to work for bacteria, to some extent.

Imagine if humans could hybridize with chimpanzees. How well received will the offspring be?

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Will implied that his father made the TF gun but, due to recently passed laws, it was illegal to sell, but not own.  Unless Uryuoms are very long lived something doesn't line up.  

I think that the “legal to own but illegal to sell” thing is a United States law and not a “Homeworld” law. The Feds probably decided that Uryuoms may bring in their tech, but may not make it available to the public without specific approval. Will’s parent(s) probably made it in the USA in the 1940s-70s using Uryuomtech components. (I am reckoning the era based on Will’s statement in a 2004 strip that he could run for POTUS, making him at least 35 at that time, therefore probably born before 1970.)

10 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I think that the “legal to own but illegal to sell” thing is a United States law and not a “Homeworld” law. The Feds probably decided that Uryuoms may bring in their tech, but may not make it available to the public without specific approval. Will’s parent(s) probably made it in the USA in the 1940s-70s using Uryuomtech components. (I am reckoning the era based on Will’s statement in a 2004 strip that he could run for POTUS, making him at least 35 at that time, therefore probably born before 1970.)

Nope, Will was specific that the status he was talking about was "home planet"  See here: https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2003-09-17

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Nope, Will was specific that the status he was talking about was "home planet"  See here: https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2003-09-17

So we have a tension between Will and other current EGS-side Uryuom believing that they had been in contact with an ancestral high-tech society within the past century, vs. the other-side believing that they had been restricted to pre-industrial tech for the past three thousand years. The only resolution that I can think of that allows for a common origin is that there is a high-tech enclave somewhere—either on one of the Earths, or a space colony set up by the Uryuoms. Hmmm, perhaps the Uryuoms having a colony in our solar system is the real reason why none of Earth’s space programs have sent anybody beyond low Earth orbit in fifty years despite both the USA and the USSR/Russia having the tech to do so—the governments don’t want civilians to discover this space colony.

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

Yeah, that seems to contradict the Emissary of Magic. They're obviously alien in some sense, and they have space flight. <shrug> I'll try not to loose sleep over it.

With very old lore is wrong or the Emissary of Magic is wrong.  Reading the comments here I would go with the 2003 lore being retconed.  It's telling the The Dan was thinking about changing it even then.  Of course I suspect it was "object oriented programming" that was being though of as needing to be retconed, but the "home planet" might be the bit changed. We should see in a max of a couple of weeks real time.