• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Friday, June 17, 2022

Maybe Dwight believes that the Commander will have his head if he doesn’t do everything that he can to get Liam back home in one piece.

Dwight's in a bad position. He left his post, apparently with what he sees as good reason, but probably without permission, perhaps against orders. We don't know how much his boss values initiative over blind obedience, but taking the initiative always looks better if it all turns out well. That, for Dwight, that seems to mean Liam and Virginia back to their side of the world, him back at his post, and reporting a serious crime that needs investigating, pronto.

"Pronto" does not seem to be Liam's priority at all.

So, Edward didn't have time to carefully cast his barrier spell.  That tells me that "quick draw" spells are going to be a bit of problem for a while.

1.  Dwight can not say anything without being shut down, contradicted or otherwise proven wrong.  He may develop a persecution complex regarding this side of the portal.  

2.  Even though Liam did not push the issue, I suspect he knows Edward messed up the spell.  

3.  Edward messed up a spell.  Either our favourite government wizard isn't as overwhelming as thought, or magic is tougher than the main cast makes it seem.

12 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Either our favourite government wizard isn't as overwhelming as thought, or magic is tougher than the main cast makes it seem.

The only main cast person we have seen cast a spell with out thinking about how to cast the spell after the change to the no change was Nanase, who had some issues.  Even Elliot took some time to cast "Evileadra", it wasn't a instant cast, he had time to ditch the phone, which tells me he canceled the optimized for running away version and then cast the cranked up version. 

33 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

3.  Edward messed up a spell.  Either our favourite government wizard isn't as overwhelming as thought, or magic is tougher than the main cast makes it seem.

I believe this has something to do with the complexity of the spell and that he was rushed. The spell has to both be a barrier and a cushion for the charger. Seeing how Liam was knocking over trees, and coming up as a near blur, Edward did something that was roughly like stopping a runaway semi.

He also has extensive experience casting without the training wheels, which should have helped him. Maybe he's more affected by the change than he realizes?

He was left vulnerable, and required assistance, other than that, he recovered quickly.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

He also has extensive experience casting without the training wheels, which should have helped him.

I'm wondering if his casting normally takes a few seconds to "properly" cast a spell and he's been unknowingly using the "training wheels" when he cast a spell faster than that.  This might be a humbling moment for him. 

7 minutes ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Particularly if he casts this spell a lot. Which he may, what a useful spell for someone in Ed's line of work.

Yeah, I expect that "barrier shield" would be something he uses a lot, or at least use to, back when he was in the field.