• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Comic for Monday, Jun 20, 2022

A comic packed with lots of crunchy goodness.

I wonder about Virginia's expression in the middle panel. I guess she's just disappointed that the Uryuom staus on the EGS side also appears to have issues. She's given no indication of desiring to leave Liam, though.

So, apparently griffins are the Praetorian Guard.

7 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

So, apparently griffins are the Praetorian Guard.

And, reading between the lines, griffins have more actual magical power than even royalty humans.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

And, reading between the lines, griffins have more actual magical power than even royalty humans.

If Liam is an example, it took three humans to stop him (counting Grace as 'human'), but he's exceptional even for a griffin, we've been told. Still, Tara and Andrea so far seem extraordinarily capable. Yeah, it seems likely.

That fight also showed how ridiculously over powered Grace is.  She was able to stop both Evileadra and Liam using just her telekinesis while moving and talking, while holding Edward, which may or may not have used TK.  Granted both were down powered when she stopped them, but still, two at once is impressive. 

If Griffons do have ball games such that "Dropped the ball" is recognized as a bad thing, then it means that catching and carrying the ball is of high tactical value.  So the Griffon version of Association Football is not their single most popular game.

Either that, or Human vernacular so dominates conversation that many use it without understanding the underlying meaning

But certainly groups of humans wouldn't oppress their neighbors so much that the neighbor's cultural identity would be largely suppressed. 

22 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So the Griffon version of Association Football is not their single most popular game.

Could be rugby or American football.  Having trouble with the idea of griffins playing baseball  A quick google shows that the phrase only dates back to the 1950's and doesn't specify which sport it was taken from.  Given the status of football in America in the 50's and the status of baseball then, I think we can assume that it's from baseball.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/drop_the_ball says "football or baseball".  Most of the other pages just say "sports".

14 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

If Liam is an example, it took three humans to stop him (counting Grace as 'human'), but he's exceptional even for a griffin, we've been told. Still, Tara and Andrea so far seem extraordinarily capable. Yeah, it seems likely.

Edward and Grace are both Royal-Class, though Edward was taken by surprise and also has a bit of trouble due to Magic having recently “taken the training wheels off”. Elliot, as far as we know, ranks below both of them as well as below Nanase in magical combat power—also note that Liam assumed that Elliot was one of Edward’s attendants/guards rather than also a Royal.

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

Edward and Grace are both Royal-Class

I'm not sure that Grace counts as "Royal-Class" as her "human" magic seems to be limited to changing her clothing to match her current size and the fact that wands now work on her.  This, of course assumes that griffins can tell Uryuom "magic" from "human" magic like Luke's spell can, even if he doesn't know that it does.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm not sure that Grace counts as "Royal-Class" as her "human" magic seems to be limited to changing her clothing to match her current size and the fact that wands now work on her.  This, of course assumes that griffins can tell Uryuom "magic" from "human" magic like Luke's spell can, even if he doesn't know that it does.

Luke saw her aura, and the griffins see auras, so she should look 'different', presumably all Uryuoms will as well. Also, Tedd should be 'Royal', bloodline of both parents is Royal, and we saw how Luke saw his aura.

Assuming that the griffin side has seers, they might know what Tedd is from his aura.  If not they are going to freak at his power level.  They may freak at his power level anyway, as we know that Tedd is a special, even as a seer, so they may have more magical energy than normal for a seer.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Assuming that the griffin side has seers, they might know what Tedd is from his aura.  If not they are going to freak at his power level.  They may freak at his power level anyway, as we know that Tedd is a special, even as a seer, so they may have more magical energy than normal for a seer.

They are calling neither Grace nor Virginia 'Royal'. A question would be, "What do their aura's lack?"

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

They are calling neither Grace nor Virginia 'Royal'. A question would be, "What do their aura's lack?"

Well, even Luke could tall that Grace (and Noah) had differing auras than the humans.  As I recall, Grace's aura was a different color than Justin's  <checks comic>  Yeah, Grace's aura is green, Justin's is orange. 

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2014-05-01

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Probably Uryuoms are categorically excluded from being considered Royalty outside of Uryuom-ruled kingdoms.

40 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well, even Luke could tall that Grace (and Noah) had differing auras than the humans.  As I recall, Grace's aura was a different color than Justin's  <checks comic>  Yeah, Grace's aura is green, Justin's is orange. 

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2014-05-01

Luke unfortunately had no training or guide book to tell him what the auras mean (perhaps Pandora should have given him a spellbook). Thus, he is limited to trial and error, and has only Grace and Noah as reference points for Seyunolu, not that he would even know what Seyunolu are. He might have gotten a glimpse at Arthur somewhere, but otherwise he had no reference for what a Seer looks like when he examined Tedd.

18 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Probably Uryuoms are categorically excluded from being considered Royalty outside of Uryuom-ruled kingdoms.

The existence of Uryuom ruled nations is the only thing that make sense of Will and Gill having a "non-sanctioned  programming language" TF gun.

20 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Luke unfortunately had no training or guide book to tell him what the auras mean (perhaps Pandora should have given him a spellbook).

Well, not a spell book as such, but a "how to use your new spell" guide might have been a good idea.  

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Well, not a spell book as such, but a "how to use your new spell" guide might have been a good idea.  

Of course, if she wanted random acts of entertainment, not giving any guide might have been a better option.

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Of course, if she wanted random acts of entertainment, not giving any guide might have been a better option.

Which make her giving Rhoda a spell book just a bit weird.  Plus the note she left for Sam.  The note for Sam can be explained by her being in contact with Tedd, but the spell book was given out when she was fully into the "entertain me" crazy and bored phase.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Which make her giving Rhoda a spell book just a bit weird.  Plus the note she left for Sam.  The note for Sam can be explained by her being in contact with Tedd, but the spell book was given out when she was fully into the "entertain me" crazy and bored phase.

<shrug>     Chaos   <--->   inconsistent ?

Might also be that under all the drama, she realizes her best times were in a stable relationship.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Might also be that under all the drama, she realizes her best times were in a stable relationship.

Yeah, there isn't any thing that says that "entertainment" has to be chaotic.  Just most human entertainment tends toward it. 

13 hours ago, mlooney said:

The existence of Uryuom ruled nations is the only thing that make sense of Will and Gill having a "non-sanctioned  programming language" TF gun.

Uryuom origins are currently a mystery with conflicting information having been presented (even just within "Balance"), but the fact that the inhabitants of the Other Side of the World also think Uryuoms came from another planet at least maintains the possibility that Uryuoms are space travelers. That being the case, there could still be a planet they consider their "home world" even if the Emissary of Magic's revelation suggests it isn't really their place of origin. (It's also possible they really are from outer space, just the space on the Other Side, and what the Emissary of Magic meant was they weren't from "our" outer space.)

As a side note, it has occurred to me that if the Other Side of Earth was really the Uryuom Homeworld Will was talking about, either he's been deceiving Mr. Verres for years, or Will himself was somehow deceived about the nature of travel/communication with the Homeworld. The problem gets even worse if other Uryuoms have had contact with the Homeworld in recent decades as well.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Well, she was still looking for entertainment, but Pandora's primary goal at the time she gave Rhoda the spell book was making magic public. Not that giving someone a means to better control their magic is the best choice for that goal either.