• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

NP Comic for Thursday, Jun 30, 2022

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

All this talk of the show has gotten me in the mood to watch more, so maybe I'll be able to say for sure sometime soon.

Checking streaming services, it seems that Batman(1966) is on Hulu, however you need to sign up for their 'LiveTV" option.  $62 a month.  I don't need to watch that much TV.  Granted that's Hulu, Disney+, ESPN and LiveTV.  I don't watch sports so the ESPN bundle is a waste.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Checking streaming services, it seems that Batman(1966) is on Hulu, however you need to sign up for their 'LiveTV" option.  $62 a month.  I don't need to watch that much TV.  Granted that's Hulu, Disney+, ESPN and LiveTV.  I don't watch sports so the ESPN bundle is a waste.

In my budgetary opinion, that's a lot of money for content services, when you can only watch one at a time. It would make sense if you were out of my income league and had money to burn, or had multiple viewers all paying and with diverse viewing interests, or if you had successfully monetized your viewing, perhaps by posting reviews.

OTOH, I'm biased; when I had cable, I watched some old shows, and found they did not live up to my memory of them; at this point I'd prefer not to ruin the memory. Sports I'll watch with a group to be sociable, but not alone. I'm not a fan of Disney; they do some things well enough, but everything they touch smells like overreaching corporate avarice, and they've ruined several IP properties for me. (I just saw the new Thor days ago, and it wasn't bad - but parts of it were excessively juvenile. I believe Disney is targeting all of their properties at a very young audience. Shrek was fun. Disney managed Shrek sequels are childish. Baby Yoda. Need I say more?) One service is plenty.

On the third hand (on the gripping hand if you've read The Mote in God's Eye), YouTube has gone so downhill that an alternative is in the ballpark of necessary.

I subscribe to all the major streaming services.  The total bill is less than what getting Cable TV would be and cable doesn't have archives.

19 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I subscribe to all the major streaming services.  The total bill is less than what getting Cable TV would be and cable doesn't have archives.

I had Time Warner several years ago, my main reason is that I needed an ISP and at the time they were my sole choice. Bundling video was not much more than just ISP.

They are Spectrum now, and they are on the cheaper side as an ISP, but only if you don't upload. They limit upload and charge a lot if you exceed some small limit.

Their video at the time nominally offered a lot of choice, but was very redundant. Every channel would repeatedly cycle sparse content, then switch which channel was carrying the same movies. On the other hand, I generally found something worth watching, generally concentrated on the same few channels.

Due to my ADHD I have trouble watching most TV.  Shows that have lots of unrelated segments seem to be the best for me.  That means I watch a lot of Mythbusters and was watching Top Gear until it went off the "Amazon Prime" free list.

So, I watched the first episode with a cameo in it, and the cameo was there. So I was wrong about the blu-rays omitting them. (Technically I've only proved they have one cameo, but given that apparently my memory of hearing they had been omitted was faulty, I'm now going to assume they're all there.) So, sorry for unintentionally misleading everyone.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:26 AM, mlooney said:

I'm not sure if you said that for the sake of others who might want to watch it (or for the sake of explaining why you don't stream it), but as I said previously, I have the Blu-Ray collection, I just never watched all the way through it.

Streaming actually isn't really an option for me. I live in the middle of the woods and have been unable to find any decent internet options that reach out here and are cheap enough for me to afford. My current internet is sufficient for web browsing, but I pay for data usage, and videos eat through that data far too quickly to watch more than one or two every now and then.

Even if streaming was an option, I don't know if it would be worth it. I don't really watch a lot of TV either. Also, for any entertainment I think I might watch/read/play/etc. more than once, I prefer to have my own copy rather than relying on some "service" (which may or may not have it available when I want to go back to it in the future).

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

I'm not sure if you said that for the sake of others who might want to watch it (or for the sake of explaining why you don't stream it), but as I said previously, I have the Blu-Ray collection, I just never watched all the way through it.

More why I am not streaming it than any thing else.  I only have faint memories of the TV Batman show, as I was 6 at the time.  I might have seen it in re-runs, but I'm not sure.