• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ChronosCat

Patreon Jul 1 / Sketchbook Jul 2 2022

On Patreon now: https://www.patreon.com/posts/not-doll-68428465

Presumably on the main sight tonight with the address https://www.egscomics.com/sketchbook/2022-009

There's a few details I'm not fond of (in particular I've never been a fan of thin high heels), but over all I really like this look. I wonder if it replaces her original Fairy Doll spell, or if she just accidentally activated the clothing-change sub-spell without entering "proper" fairy form.

It doesn't seem to be what Dan's going for, but it also would have been fun if she had created a new human-sized body (with her original body still being there as well, as with her normal fairy doll spell), and when she returned to her original body she was left with a life-size doll of herself.

Having a life sized doll of your self might be hard to explain.  She can hid her fairy sized dolls, but hiding a body is tricky

57 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Having a life sized doll of your self might be hard to explain.  She can hid her fairy sized dolls, but hiding a body is tricky

And if they're found, the fairy-size doll takes a lot less explaining.

18 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

And if they're found, the fairy-size doll takes a lot less explaining.

Yeah, there is that.  Not quite sure how to explain a doll with your face on it, but it would be easier to explain than a full size mannequin with your face on it. 

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A friend is someone who will help you move

A Real Friend is someone who will help you move the body

A True Friend won't as why you have a body to move.

On 7/1/2022 at 2:55 PM, ChronosCat said:

There's a few details I'm not fond of (in particular I've never been a fan of thin high heels), but over all I really like this look. I wonder if it replaces her original Fairy Doll spell, or if she just accidentally activated the clothing-change sub-spell without entering "proper" fairy form.

Giving it another look, it appears to be Nanase, not a doll. If you'll notice, there are straps by her shoulders, they appear to be holding on the (costume) wings. That leads to the speculation that this is entirely Nanase dressing up, likely for a costume event, further evidenced by the matching green lipstick. And the outfit has a Tinker Bell look.

The hose looks good, but if it is Halloween, it may also be for warmth. The high heels appear to be doing what they are designed to do, making her stand awkwardly so that her posture is more provocative. (I'm also not a fan, I think they lead to problems with long term use.)

I would assume that the wings are non-functional, except she can float anyway. We have seen magical creatures in EGS flying with insufficient wings; these seem even more egregious. Insect wings are thin and have little stiffness. It works when the flying object weighs grams.

Three things I don't get, the cosmetic stars on her cheeks seem odd; they don't enhance the look, they are not on Tinker Bell nor on Nanase's fairy dolls, and a single one on one cheek seems more traditional as a cosmetic mark. The halo of stars around her looks like it would enhance her costume, but it is also highlighting her as a magic user. Unless the party is with the usual gang (which seems likely), that is something she wouldn't want to do. She looks startled, but the setting suggests familiar surroundings. There is no hint what she might be startled at. Her little sister walked in and saw the sparkles?

I'm thinking that it was the fairy doll spell cast the "wrong" way, as she didn't read her spellbook, at least the fairy doll spell, she did read it for Fox, since the not-change 2nd change.  At least that's what The Dan implied in the commentary.  

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm thinking that it was the fairy doll spell cast the "wrong" way, as she didn't read her spellbook, at least the fairy doll spell, she did read it for Fox, since the not-change 2nd change.  At least that's what The Dan implied in the commentary.  

The size could be Fox, and Fox is very much like a twin of Nanase, but that doesn't account for the other anomalies, especially the strap on wings.

So, rereading the commentary, the commentary spells it out. It is so unexpected, that the commentary made no sense until an Nth reread.

That is Nanase. She cast her fairy doll spell and instead of producing a fairy doll, got the pictured cosmetic change. It mentions Nanase feeling the high heels appear, and it mentions the sparkles as 'modesty sparkles', but does not otherwise spell out the cosmetic details; so those are not specific choices Nanase made. It does explain why she looks startled.

Also not explained is why the apparently strap on wings aren't real wings. It seems to not be a variant of the fairy doll spell so much as an entirely different spell. It also does not jump out as fitting a 'Why would she get this spell?' rationale. And, what happened to her fairy doll spell? We've seen her use it since the 'not change'. It seems this comic is not canon, which is par for Sketchbook comics.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It seems this comic is not canon, which is par for Sketchbook comics.

I can't think of any sketchbook comics, other than Ashley straddling Cheerlearera with a cell phone (which The Dan said was canon as soon as they got a chance to do it). that were canon. 

"She was wearing what appeared to be a green fairy costume..."

This doesn't say whether the wings really are hanging from the shoulder straps, or if the straps are there merely to keep up appearances. Could be either one.

(If she had the wings without the straps, that would make it look rather less like a costume.)

7 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

This doesn't say whether the wings really are hanging from the shoulder straps, or if the straps are there merely to keep up appearances. Could be either one.

The straps don't appear to connected to her dress, so my guess is that they are for the wings.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The straps may be fake.  Only there to keep people from noticing she has functioning wings sprouting from her back

Possible.  Of course she doesn't need wings to fly, even her fairy form's wings aren't big enough to give her flight unaided.

Insect wings are weird. All the stuff about cross section, laminar flow, and differential pressure does not seem to be present. They appear to be essentially flat surfaces. The small ones probably act like hummingbird wings, just propelling the air via their slant, but that does not explain large moths, butterflies, nor dragonflies (ancient ones reaching a foot long).

For Nanase's fairy doll, they probably do not provide enough lift, but I'd guess that they do serve to direct where she is going.

Full size Nanase, way more problematic. The wings should either not be stiff enough to maintain their shape, or would have to be as thick as plywood. (Actually, in the image they look more balloon like than flat.)

16 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

For Nanase's fairy doll, they probably do not provide enough lift, but I'd guess that they do serve to direct where she is going.

Nanase has full control over her movements when flying, enough so that she could out maneuver Vlad.  I would assume that she still has that level of control when in fairy form.  

35 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Nanase has full control over her movements when flying, enough so that she could out maneuver Vlad.  I would assume that she still has that level of control when in fairy form.  

This raises the question, if Jay copied Nanase's fairy doll spell, but did not see the floating/flying to copy it, would Jay's fairy be able to fly?

Good question.  Would suck to be a fairy doll and not be able to fly.  I'm fairly sure that their walking speed is very slow.

They might have a running speed enhancement, as with Catalina’s catgirl transformation allowing her to run with the relative speed of a cheetah.

Possible, but we haven't seen that.  In fact we haven't seen any of the fairies (Nanase's and Susan's) move any way but flying.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Possible, but we haven't seen that.  In fact we haven't seen any of the fairies (Nanase's and Susan's) move any way but flying.

They were able to sit, so the legs bend, so they should be able to walk. I'm going to guess that they do some minor walking when they pick stuff out for retrieval, like when one went to Susan's pack. The legs were in a stance, not a stiff stand.

There is some implication that they stiffen like a Barbie when they are not animated. Whenever they've been portrayed as dolls, just as dolls, they've been in the same stiff position.

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

They were able to sit, so the legs bend, so they should be able to walk. I'm going to guess that they do some minor walking when they pick stuff out for retrieval, like when one went to Susan's pack. The legs were in a stance, not a stiff stand.

Oh, yeah, I think that they can walk, just slowly compared to even human speed.  A humanoid figure, at that size, isn't going to be all that fast due to leg length if nothing else.