• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Star Wars Rebellion

The epic battle recommences today as my son is coming over for another game or three of Star Wars Rebellion. We're switching roles today, though - I'll be playing as the Empire for the first time, while he plays as the Rebels. Should be interesting.

Does Star Wars Rebellion have non-mirrored victory conditions?  In other words does the imperial forces have a victory condition of X, while the rebels have a victory condition of Y, which is not just "prevent X from happening?"  If so, it's a good idea to swap sides from time to time.

The Empire's job is to capture the Rebel base. The Rebels' job is to survive a certain amount of turns without that happening. So, non-mirrored? No, not really, not to my knowledge, although I'll inquire further when we play today.

EDIT: I will say that the manner of play is markedly different between the two. The Rebels are constantly on the run, while the Empire is constantly spreading throughout the galaxy. You have to plan differently when your resources are so vastly different.

28 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

The Empire's job is to capture the Rebel base. The Rebels' job is to survive a certain amount of turns without that happening. So, non-mirrored? No, not really, not to my knowledge, although I'll inquire further when we play today.

That's sorta a type of mirrored VC.  X happens or X doesn't happen.  While not the same as chess, for example, it's not like Illuminati where every player has their own victory conditions and multiple players can "win" in the same turn.

Well, my first experience playing as the Empire in Star Wars Rebellion was unsuccessful against my vastly more experienced 35-year-old gamer son (not making excuses - just laying out the landscape). I managed to find and flush out his Rebel base once, then find his relocated Rebel base, but not before the game end conditions for his side had been met. He won after 8 turns. Put simply, according to him, I wasn't aggressive enough in picking fights across the board. Live and learn. Nevertheless, he says, I played him closer than anyone ever has. I asked him if he was blowing smoke up my ass, and he assured me he wasn't. I'll take him for his word.

In most games where the objective is "destroy an enemy foo" and the objective is "prevent foo from being destroyed" for the other side, the attacker has a more difficult time, assuming their is a time limit.

Looks like there may be another round of Star Wars Rebellion between my son and myself this week, hopefully on Tuesday. I'll likely get another shot at playing the Empire. My son told me I wasn't aggressive enough last time - I should have instigated combat more often, done stuff like that. Let's see if I can pull that off.