• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

I no longer find raccoons to be "cute"

It's all contextual, but you make a good point, they function like overly large and clever vermin. They fill a similar urban niche to rats, and they are also disease vectors; any raccoon that is not wary of humans has a fair chance to have rabies.

I feel like you do towards raccoons about squirrels. They are cute in the park, begging for peanuts, but you damn well do not want them in your attic.

Bears are learning the urban scavenger tricks. Be afraid.

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It's all contextual, but you make a good point, they function like overly large and clever vermin

Vermin that shit everywhere.  Did you know that their scat can carry a parasitic worm that, if passed to a human, results in a hard to diagnose disease that can be fatal?  We found this out when we googled "how to identify animal scat" and found out what animal pooped all over our stuff.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Vermin that shit everywhere. 

That is part and parcel of 'vermin'. (Although, good news, bears probably will not shit in your attic while you are living there.)

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Did you know that their scat can carry a parasitic worm that, if passed to a human, results in a hard to diagnose disease that can be fatal?  We found this out when we googled "how to identify animal scat" and found out what animal pooped all over our stuff.

I did not, but it is not surprising. (Also, good to know there is a web option for identifying animal scat. I could see that being a useful phone app.) If I had a current problem with squirrels, I would be Googling what they carry, but, fortunately it was years ago.

Coons are carnivores, so would have a larger pool of potential parasites to host. ... Think about our favorite photo subject, she fits a similar demographic. Kitties often carry toxoplasmosis, which, according to the CDC, is the leading cause of death due to foodborne illness in the US. (I wouldn't be surprised if coons carry the same disease, and we are talking about the same thing.) Toxoplasmosis is particularly scary in that it modifies the behavior of hosts; mice become less timid, thus easier to catch and devour. (Mind control worms! Does this remind anyone of a certain Futurama episode? Wonder where he got the idea?)

Anyway, as disease vectors, they've got nothing on children. Children presumably spread more disease than raccoons, squirrels, and cats combined. So get your adults of breeding age spayed or neutered.

9 minutes ago, ijuin said:

It’s our fault for leaving food lying around where they can steal it.

There was nothing even remotely edible in the trailer.  We suspect that one or more raccoons took it as a den.  Hopefully we closed all the entry points into it for next year.

18 hours ago, mlooney said:

There was nothing even remotely edible in the trailer.  We suspect that one or more raccoons took it as a den.  Hopefully we closed all the entry points into it for next year.

I can picture it, 'coons with crowbars.

34 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I can picture it, 'coons with crowbars.

That's pretty close to what one of the places they came in looked like.

I had a dream last night that I was showing a mundane family around  Pennsic.  Which was held indoors in something like a mall.  Ended up going to a Mongol restaurant (not a Mongolian BBQ) where they served all you can eat chunks of meat.  Also spent some time being a banner carrier for my household during an Atlantia court.  Which is weird because I didn't go to the Atlantia court IRL.

The Skill Tree YouTube channel just released a video about the last Pennsic.  It's a bit long but worth watching.  Their experience matches up with mine

Next year's Pennsic is Pennsic 50, or as they use Roman numbers for Pennsic "L".  There is considerable debate as to if It's going to stay "L" or they go to "50".  Some people have, semi seriously, suggested that the hill that they mow to the number of the war be mowed with "Fifty".  Not "50" but literally "F I F T Y". This being the SCA I expect people to argue about it until spring, then settle down with "L" because it's traditional, and the SCA lives on Tradition.  Or at least some kingdoms do (Looking at you East and Middle).