• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

NP Comic for Saturday, Jul 16, 2022

This is an odd comic. Panel 4 is clearly just in Rich's head. At first glance, the first two panels present as if they are really happening, but Ellen would not talk like panel two. Even panel one is odd, does not seem Ellen-like to lack confidence to that degree, not to display it to a person who is a stranger to her and who she already has a negative bias toward. Conclusion, it is all imagined by Rich, none of this occurred.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Rich is thinking like a major pig.  Wondering what he's going to say to show that to the rest of the world, cause you know he's going to.

Actual pigs are dangerous. Rich is mostly harmless, more majorly annoying and offensive. As you say, he will spin his delusion into a brag, though.

32 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Major Pig?

Old Major was the revolutionary idealist who inspired the animals to take control of their own lives.

Napoleon, on the other trotter . . .

I did not think of the Animal House reference, I pictured an anthropomorphic swine in a military uniform.

Major Pig's office is between Colonel O'Kohren and General Newsehns.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Rich is mostly harmless, more majorly annoying and offensive. As you say, he will spin his delusion into a brag, though.

I suspect that he's going to make some sort of remark about Ellen being dumb or otherwise piss her off. 

Given that Rich claims to want a girl who can defeat him, it’s possible that his choice of words are intended to get a rise out of people, as he is looking for someone who will out-argue him rather than conceding.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I suspect that he's going to make some sort of remark about Ellen being dumb or otherwise piss her off. 

Then what I said about Ellen not transforming him goes off the table. She may find a way to do it surreptitiously.

Do we know if her beam is blocked by physical objects? I think so far, all the beams of magic act as beams of light would, and are blocked, unless they apply force, and actually move the barrier (the golem in the warehouse).

I'm guessing though that a female Rich would still be annoying.

16 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Given that Rich claims to want a girl who can defeat him, it’s possible that his choice of words are intended to get a rise out of people, as he is looking for someone who will out-argue him rather than conceding.

It does seem like he does that. Perhaps out of habit, rather than calculated.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

Given that Rich claims to want a girl who can defeat him,

I never would have called Rich being a bottom.

58 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I never would have called Rich being a bottom.

Yeah, bit of a surprise to me too.

....I'm trying to remember - did Dan say anything about calling Rich "Dick" being too on the nose?

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

Given that Rich claims to want a girl who can defeat him...

He's come to the right place. Can't imagine her bothering, though; it would be like shooting ducks in a barrel. Baby ducks.

Oh, you meant at card games.

3 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

He's come to the right place. Can't imagine her bothering, though; it would be like shooting ducks in a barrel. Baby ducks.

Oh, you meant at card games.

Baby ducks are less threatening, but I'll wager that being smaller, they are more difficult (or not as easy) to hit. I would take less hits to kill one, if that is your metric.

Also relevant, what kind of barrel, and what kind of gun? I think most barrels, wooden or otherwise will stop a 22 short or long (not an M-16 round, which has far more power behind it, although I heard those are fairly easily deflected by such things as foliage, so who knows?) I think the same could be said of bird shot, unless you are right next to the barrel, where the entire mass hits a small area and progressively fractures it.

All bets are off if you are shooting down into an open barrel.

Firing a tank round when the baby ducks are in the barrel would mess up the ducks. If you put the video up on YouTube, you'd get a lot of views, but PETA would complain, and the video might be taken down.

3 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

I'm not 100% sure that Rich wouldn't enjoy that.  I'm thinking his sub streak might be deeper than we have suspected.

On 7/16/2022 at 8:34 AM, Darth Fluffy said:

This is an odd comic. Panel 4 is clearly just in Rich's head. At first glance, the first two panels present as if they are really happening, but Ellen would not talk like panel two. Even panel one is odd, does not seem Ellen-like to lack confidence to that degree, not to display it to a person who is a stranger to her and who she already has a negative bias toward. Conclusion, it is all imagined by Rich, none of this occurred.

Panel 2 is Rich's imagination (it even has rounded borders), showing his interpretation of what Ellen said (or at least what he considers to be an accurate elaboration of what she said). Panel 3 has straight cornered borders, so he's presumably actually making that face. 

As for panel 1 being out of character, that was my first thought - but I could definitely see Elliot saying something like that. And while she may be more introspective than Elliot used to be, I've also gotten the impression that doing a lot of thinking is not something she particularly enjoys.

46 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Panel 2 is Rich's imagination (it even has rounded borders), showing his interpretation of what Ellen said (or at least what he considers to be an accurate elaboration of what she said). Panel 3 has straight cornered borders, so he's presumably actually making that face. 

As for panel 1 being out of character, that was my first thought - but I could definitely see Elliot saying something like that. And while she may be more introspective than Elliot used to be, I've also gotten the impression that doing a lot of thinking is not something she particularly enjoys.

Ah, squared corners vs rounded, I think you are right.

I didn't take any of it as being out of character.  Ellen's reply seemed to be what she would say about CCG, given that she doesn't think of herself as "smart pants".  Rich's thought panels seem very on point for him, other than revealing that he's a bottom for geek girls.  

On 7/18/2022 at 6:08 AM, mlooney said:

...revealing that he's a bottom for geek girls.  

Always assuming, of course, that Rich's knowledge of women is anything other than theoretical. Given how poorly informed his theory is, it seems unlikely that he ever gets practice.