• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

NP Comic for Tuesday, July 19, 2022

NP Comic for Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Between Tedd, Sarah, and Elliot, (commentary), Elliot seems the least likely to run an RPG. Reflect back to Sarah's complaint, "He's indecisive", his general lack of interest in details, like where his family is from and in travel and seeing new things. Tedd, on the other hand has demonstrated active interest by modifying computer RPGs, and Sarah is creative and writes a fictional comic about a 'Dan' character.

Ellen seems an odd choice as well, unless it happened in her dream universe. While a bit more willing to jump into things, she's not one to study; I don't see a collection of rules appealing to her.

Seems that plot driven choice is at odds with their nature.

Rich ... well, I'd guess that he's about to firmly wedge one of his Nikes in his oral cavity, inviting some negative consequence. I feel like getting out and pushing; "If you're going to do it, jackass, get it over with."

Rich will grow up to be that minor boss you hate because he has no empathy and is therefore clueless. I've had mercifully few of those, but enough to be familiar with the concept.

Elliot and (what we know of) second life Ellen would be good game masters, if the players never try to escape the module.

Sara & Tedd probably figgured this out early and let Elliot railroad them between important scenes when he was game master.

51 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Elliot and (what we know of) second life Ellen would be good game masters, if the players never try to escape the module.

Sara & Tedd probably figgured this out early and let Elliot railroad them between important scenes when he was game master.

My guess is that Dan had a different image of Elliot early on, and that Elliot ran role playing games. Tedd, Sarah, and Elliot are all very different than they currently are in the earliest comics. In a sense, from a different universe, one that had not yet evolved into what it is now.

What Rich doesn't seem to get is that the GM is always right, so as long as she was consistent it really doesn't matter if she "got all the rules wrong". That being said, I'd like to see an arc where Elliot, Ellen, Nanase, Ted, Grace and Sarah all play an RPG with Ellen as GM.

16 minutes ago, AFNB said:

Bear in mind, people, that Dan has not declared this storyline to be canon - especially when you consider this.

Well, sorta.  In the comments he said this:

Nonetheless, I've always considered it a bit of canon lurking in the shadows that Elliot, Tedd, and Sarah played some tabletop roleplaying games together, and that Elliot was the one running it.

8 minutes ago, AFNB said:

Murky!

Also don't forget that early Elliot, Tedd, and Sarah aren't really the characters that we now know and love.

I wasn't expecting to see this referenced again after all this time! I look forward to seeing where this goes.

For those who don't remember, Dan actually posted a few of these old comics before:

https://www.egscomics.com/sketchbook/2004-07-20
https://www.egscomics.com/sketchbook/2004-07-22
https://www.egscomics.com/sketchbook/2004-07-24
https://www.egscomics.com/sketchbook/2004-09-08

(All but the last one are in a row in the archives.)

The final one used to have more to it, but it was posted as multiple images, and the later images disappeared when EGS switched hosts from Keenspot to 910CMX back in 2009.