• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

NP Comic for Saturday, August 20, 2022

NP Comic for Saturday, August 20, 2022

Huh, George is socially adept, so why is he a loner?

How does Justin know that about Nanase? It's come up in casual conversation before?

I think "I'll help you win this <RPG>." is going into my bag of quotes to abuse. While in this context it indicates 'doesn't quite get the concept', 'I'm going to win this RPG' seems to be a hurdle some folks can't get past.

The solution is, of course, "Rock falls, everybody dies."

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

How does Justin know that about Nanase? It's come up in casual conversation before?

It's possible that he's seen her in a school play or related.

While George may prefer to be alone much of the time, he is not necessarily a loner.  He offered to assist Ellen with the rules, and she was unaware of the preprinted character option.  

Nanase and Justin have known each other a long time.  He might even be able to get Akiko to smuggle him cookies.  

And you don't win an RPG by having "fun".  

You win RPGs by giving the GM a nervous breakdown.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I've been playing RPGs pretty much since there have been RPGs (I started in 1976).  GMed most of the time.  Never really had a nervous breakdown.  Had a couple of "What the Hell Are You Thinking" moments, plus "That's Pretty Out There, But Should Work" moments.  Often mixed together. One of my players used to say that he wanted a WTF look from me at least once a session.

I'm not seeing the dicotomy you are proposing.

However, in the comic, Ellen is the GM, so player disorientation and distress, rather than taking the GM offline, would be the goal.

20 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I've been playing RPGs pretty much since there have been RPGs (I started in 1976).  GMed most of the time.  Never really had a nervous breakdown.  Had a couple of "What the Hell Are You Thinking" moments, plus "That's Pretty Out There, But Should Work" moments.  Often mixed together. One of my players used to say that he wanted a WTF look from me at least once a session.

Pretty much Aubrey's thing.

While George may prefer to be alone much of the time, he is not necessarily a loner.  He offered to assist Ellen with the rules, and she was unaware of the preprinted character option. 

Dan referred to George as a loner in the commentary. George seems to get absorbed in solo activity even when he's in a group activity.

Nanase and Justin have known each other a long time.  He might even be able to get Akiko to smuggle him cookies. 

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

It's possible that he's seen her in a school play or related.

They have know each other for a long time. I don't think Nanase would have had a bad experience in a play and then tried out for another, but she might have done it once then talked to him about it. Plausible.

8 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I think "I'll help you win this <RPG>." is going into my bag of quotes to abuse. While in this context it indicates 'doesn't quite get the concept', 'I'm going to win this RPG' seems to be a hurdle some folks can't get past.

Out of the main cast members who have known Nanase since before the series began, Justin is the only one who has been attending the same high school as her ever since freshman year. We might assume that the panel of Nanase auditioning for Juliet is, while not an actual flashback, still representative of failed attempts at stage acting.

As for “winning”, I interpreted it as Nanase saying that they would win the bet with Rich, not that they would win the game.

10 minutes ago, ijuin said:

As for “winning”, I interpreted it as Nanase saying that they would win the bet with Rich, not that they would win the game.

That's pretty much how I took it as well.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

That's pretty much how I took it as well.

Plausible. Ellen's response seems to indicate that she took it to mean the game.

In any case I don't think this is a bet she can win. Refer back to the bet being made, no objective win nor loss conditions are mentioned, only "I'll prove it to you". Entirely subjective on both their parts (how is Rich going to measure "half as much as you think you do"), and Rich has shown himself to have delusional fantasies within this comic arc. I don't think she can even break him, he'll just give her that disbelieving stare he does.

Frankly, I think her best bet is to spring for the hardcover edition, whack Rich over the head with it, (thank you, Tara, for showing the way!), and taking his lunch money. She could have a good time with Nanase, and Rich only gets hurt in a part he isn't using anyway.

OTOH, if everyone besides Rich has fun, she can claim she DMed well, winning the bet, so again, plausible.