• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Friday November 25, 2016

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2279

Alright, so this particular glow is not the same as the glow we saw when Susan summoned the sword during the goo fight.

Also Susan is pretty darned sure that she would have known by now if she had a twin sister, half sister on the other hand, wouldn't be as easy if the mother of Diane never went after Mr Pompoms, heck Mr Pompoms might not even know he got her pregnant if it was just a one night stand.

There is also Dan's tweets just prior to the comic's release:

So is that referring to what Edward said about Diane, or what Susan said, or is Jerry wrong about Diane and her and Susan aren't related at all?

I suspect the tweets are referring to Susan's claim that her mother would not only be aware (somehow) she had a long-lost daughter, but would "raise hell" to find her. Neither are necessarily true. In fact, given the circumstances leading to her parents' divorce, it's likely that Ms. Pompoms either has never even considered she may have a stepdaughter (or stepson).1 Given her bitterness towards her ex-husband, even if the possibility has occurred to her, she may not wish to find out, because apart from the kid not being hers as such, she may not want to have in her life someone who reminds her of him.

1Edward's investigations have pretty much ruled out either her having birthed a second daughter or Susan being adopted. To the best of my recall, we haven't yet seen Edward proven wrong about matters of fact. (Matters of belief, such as his attitude to Tedd's genderfluidity, are another matter.)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2279

Alright, so this particular glow is not the same as the glow we saw when Susan summoned the sword during the goo fight.

I think it used to glow just while summoned, now it glows all the time.

Also, new spell! Although we are more interested in the fairy one (meaning she got at least TWO new spells). The description is also funny ... "the aura does ... something" ...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Also Susan is pretty darned sure that she would have known by now if she had a twin sister, half sister on the other hand, wouldn't be as easy if the mother of Diane never went after Mr Pompoms, heck Mr Pompoms might not even know he got her pregnant if it was just a one night stand.

That would be in conflict with the theory it's the same woman Susan saw him with, however.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

So is that referring to what Edward said about Diane, or what Susan said, or is Jerry wrong about Diane and her and Susan aren't related at all?

I would say that even young immortals are unlikely to be wrong in something so important for them.

32 minutes ago, TamarTree said:

I suspect the tweets are referring to Susan's claim that her mother would not only be aware (somehow) she had a long-lost daughter, but would "raise hell" to find her. Neither are necessarily true. In fact, given the circumstances leading to her parents' divorce, it's likely that Ms. Pompoms either has never even considered she may have a stepdaughter (or stepson).1 Given her bitterness towards her ex-husband, even if the possibility has occurred to her, she may not wish to find out, because apart from the kid not being hers as such, she may not want to have in her life someone who reminds her of him.

I suppose even Susan would admit what her said would be related to full sister, not necessary half sister.

33 minutes ago, TamarTree said:

1Edward's investigations have pretty much ruled out either her having birthed a second daughter or Susan being adopted. To the best of my recall, we haven't yet seen Edward proven wrong about matters of fact.

Technically, he only said hospital records claims there is no twin. People who are never proved wrong are often careful of what they claim.

I suppose he will start background check on Diane on Monday, if he didn't already. Would it show something interesting? Also, if Susan's talent is hereditary, he should be able to find which side it's from.

Called it, more or less, it's a new spell.

I am sorta surprised at Susan not thinking about the idea of a half sister, but given her suppressed anger about her father's known cheating, she might subconsciously block thoughts that lead down the path that there was more than one time.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

I am sorta surprised at Susan not thinking about the idea of a half sister, but given her suppressed anger about her father's known cheating, she might subconsciously block thoughts that lead down the path that there was more than one time.

Also, after mentioning they are born twenty minutes apart, everyone would think about twin first. I suppose they will mention the possibility of half-sister on Monday strip.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think it used to glow just while summoned, now it glows all the time.

Also, new spell! Although we are more interested in the fairy one (meaning she got at least TWO new spells). The description is also funny ... "the aura does ... something" ...

Like I said in the previous thread, the sword did initially glow when she summoned it, but it stopped glowing shortly after (panel 7 of that linked comic shows it) this comic shows that the glow didn't stop so it's not related to the actual summoning.

There is also the fact that Dan wasn't consistent with the glow, so I don't know if this is a retcon giving the glow a new meaning or not.

It might just be an upgrade to the existing "summon what I have in a chest" spell, like Nanase's fairy avatar extras, but then again we've seen Pandora referring to Rhoda's abilities as separate spells, just seems odd to have someone get brand new spells with just a little extra while making original spells obsolete. At least we know that Susan did read her spellbook after getting home with her new dolls.

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That would be in conflict with the theory it's the same woman Susan saw him with, however.

Yeah it would.

23 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I would say that even young immortals are unlikely to be wrong in something so important for them.

Yeah, and while Jerry didn't say "twin sister" he did say "long-lost sister", whether that mean that Susan's mom knew about Diane or not is unknown, if she did know, she kept that knowledge from Susan and probably for a reason.

Dan's commentary might be related to the tweets as well:

"If she had another missing daughter, her quest to find that daughter would be difficult to miss.

According to Susan, anyway."

Susan's has a strong belief about that her mother would tell her if she had a sister, or would raise hell in order to get custody of Diane if she caught wind of her existance. But if Mrs Pompoms did know about Diane and decided it was in everyone's best interests that Diane and Susan remain separated... Certainly wouldn't be the first time a parent has kept secrets about other family members.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It might just be an upgrade to the existing "summon what I have in a chest" spell, like Nanase's fairy avatar extras, but then again we've seen Pandora referring to Rhoda's abilities as separate spells, just seems odd to have someone get brand new spells with just a little extra while making original spells obsolete. At least we know that Susan did read her spellbook after getting home with her new dolls.

I think upgrade spells may be like "semi-spells". we don't have any real information about what the criteria are for getting new spells, how much effort must be put into learning a spell. Upgrades may take less effort than a full spell and show up like errata to the old spell "this old spell now has this added feature". On the other hand, many of Nanase's fairy upgrade spells seem like totally separate spells that can only be used while inhabiting the fairy doll. The distinction may be semantic.

37 minutes ago, Alwaysnewguy said:
52 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I think upgrade spells may be like "semi-spells". we don't have any real information about what the criteria are for getting new spells, how much effort must be put into learning a spell. Upgrades may take less effort than a full spell and show up like errata to the old spell "this old spell now has this added feature". On the other hand, many of Nanase's fairy upgrade spells seem like totally separate spells that can only be used while inhabiting the fairy doll. The distinction may be semantic.

In D&D and other roleplaying games, and even more so in computer games, the distinction must be extremely clear to make it easy to play. In EGS, it's likely there are no hard numbers anywhere. Even Pandora's categories like "D" and "S" are likely just approximates. Apparently, it's true even for number of spells: if the spellbook doesn't have something like separate heading of given size for every spell so you can count the headings, how would you know how many spells you have?

With the spellbooks being intentionally confusing, it's possible two people reading the same spellbook will count different number of spell.

But, yes, I based the "this is new spell" comment based on how Pandora was so sure what Rhoda was showing were new spells. It's possible this is more like upgrade of existing spell, and I don't mean like Nanase's subspells, but like how can she now create fairies with different outfits.

52 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Certainly wouldn't be the first time a parent has kept secrets about other family members.

No, it certainly wouldn't be first time.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

No, it certainly wouldn't be first time.

Bottom line and a moral golden rule of thumb: Everybody has something to hide.

The suspense of waiting for the reveal, though, is real.

Wait, is it an artistic "happy accident", or did Susan's bangs grow a bit longer?

43 minutes ago, Stature said:

Wait, is it an artistic "happy accident", or did Susan's bangs grow a bit longer?

If you mean between panels 8 and 9, she's just bending forward. If you mean between panels 6 and 8, then yes totally.

43 minutes ago, Stature said:

Bottom line and a moral golden rule of thumb: Everybody has something to hide.

Well, sure, for start everyone should be hiding how easy was for them to get magic. But that shouldn't be necessary to hide from their children.

PS: To complete the list, another parent hiding something from her child ... but this time she at least admitted she's hiding something.

PS2:

56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

But, yes, I based the "this is new spell" comment based on how Pandora was so sure what Rhoda was showing were new spells. It's possible this is more like upgrade of existing spell, and I don't mean like Nanase's subspells, but like how can she now create fairies with different outfits.

It's interesting that Rhoda has two spells for resizing but Dex can summon fairy and taurcanis draco with same spell.

One thing that puzzles me is that, as far as memory serves, neither Susan nor Diane share a hair color with either Mr. or Mrs. Pompom.  It makes me kind of worried that the big reveal will be that the one who "cheated" at the time Susan and Diane were born was not Mr. Pompom, but Mrs. Pompom.

That is why I think there was such emphasis on Susan's perception on how her mother would react to the news that Susan had a sister (or half-sister).  But the question is would Dan go that dark with the storyline.

Once the half-sister possibility has been acknowledged, it may be confrontation time.

I would suggest that perhaps Diane's parents should be addressed first.  They may know something about Diane's past that was not covered in the official records Edward could quickly acquire.

Confronting Susan's mother should wait until all parties are more certain of their facts.
If Susan's Mother did not know about Diane, and Diane is definitely related to Susan, then she will be enraged that someone (start with her ex and work out from there) has kept this kind of important information from Susan.  "Susan has a half sister?  Why have you  never told her about this?"
If Susan's Mother DID know about Diane, she will be enraged that meddling kids and government agents are interfering with private family matters.

Either way, the bearer of bad news better have a good answer for every question from Susan's mom.

19 minutes ago, PrimordialSoul253 said:

One thing that puzzles me is that, as far as memory serves, neither Susan nor Diane share a hair color with either Mr. or Mrs. Pompom.

In our world at least, blonde hair is a recessive gene that gets overshadowed by genes for darker hair, so it is quite possible for Susan and Diane to have parents who each have both genes for blonde hair and genes for dark hair, and inherited only the blonde-hair genes.

37 minutes ago, ijuin said:

In our world at least, blonde hair is a recessive gene that gets overshadowed by genes for darker hair, so it is quite possible for Susan and Diane to have parents who each have both genes for blonde hair and genes for dark hair, and inherited only the blonde-hair genes.

Or along with the venerable Bishop Occam, we can choose the simpler and more likely explanation of the genetics of the the blondness of Susan and Diane. And this also might explain why Susan's dad would make the incredibly stupid move of letting the Other Woman to his home where little Tiffany might see her. The other woman could have seen Susan's dad anywhere, but if she really came to look at her kid...

Now if Susan's mom, the one that's raised her, knows Susan has a twin sister, why would she keep it a secret from Susan? I think a plausible reason is that she's contacted Diane's adoptive family (or had them investigated) and decided it would be best to let things stay as they are.

That doesn't explain the hospital records Mr. Verres saw (or was told about), but those could have been altered by the application of the "bribery" spell. Why? How about a hedge against future custody fights, especially believable if Susan was an extra-legal adoption. It might have even Susan's dad who did the bribing.

Here's something else to chew on. Take a look at the very first sighting of Susan's mom. Notice the rather large glass in her hand? Is it possible that Susan's mom has noticed how Susan's looking more and more like the Other Woman as she matures?

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If Susan's Mother DID know about Diane, she will be enraged that meddling kids and government agents are interfering with private family matters.

I don't think she'd be enraged, maybe she didn't initially expect that any of Susan's friends would make the connection or that she'd end up with friends from another school, although letting her go to France knowing that the trip included students from both schools should have raised concerns if she wanted it to remain secret, but it didn't....Did Mrs Pompoms hope that Susan might meet Diane on that trip?

It's also possible that Mrs Pompoms wanted to tell Susan about Diane, but maybe she wasn't able to for some reason, maybe there was shame involved and Mrs Pompoms wanted time to figure out how to come forward with it. Or maybe(very low chance likely), Mr Pompoms had some sort of leverage to forbid Mrs Pompoms from telling Susan, so Susan finding out about Diane through other channels would end up being a relief to Mrs Pompoms.

It kind of makes you wonder just how young Diane was when she got adopted. Or orphaned for that matter.......

It wouldn't surprise me if she was a month old when that happened. One of my uncles(he lived in another state from me) pulled something similar before, and didn't tell the rest of the family(his parents and siblings) for about 15 years. When he found a recent reference to the kid. And yes, this actually happened.

And Mrs Pompoms didn't learn about the cheating till later, when Susan was a few years old. At least, assuming this guy is her actual father, and not some random second guy that got thrown in later.

16 minutes ago, Darkxemjas said:

And Mrs Pompoms didn't learn about the cheating till later, when Susan was a few years old. At least, assuming this guy is her actual father, and not some random second guy that got thrown in later.

Maybe there's a small indicator that the cheating cheater who cheated is Susan (and Diane's) biological father. Why would Mr. Verres know about the cheating cheater who cheated, particularly if he didn't know about Diane until today? How about the cheating cheater who cheated being someone Mr. Verres worked with? That is, a mage. It would tie in nicely with Susan and Diane having the same powerful magical affinity. And if the Other Woman With Susan's Face is their biological mother, it would make it even more likely. And if the cheating cheater who cheated is a Man in Black like Mr. Verres, it would also give a wonderful explanation for his apparent complete absence since the divorce. Kind of like Tedd's mom, maybe?

7 hours ago, Darkxemjas said:

It kind of makes you wonder just how young Diane was when she got adopted. Or orphaned for that matter.......

It wouldn't surprise me if she was a month old when that happened. One of my uncles(he lived in another state from me) pulled something similar before, and didn't tell the rest of the family(his parents and siblings) for about 15 years. When he found a recent reference to the kid. And yes, this actually happened.

Rhea is at least a year older than Diane and had no memory of Diane being adopted or otherwise joining their family with or without her adoptive mother having a pregnancy (or of her parents bringing home a baby who wasn't a newborn), so Rhea was probably not older than three at the time, which means that Diane was probably not older than two. If Rhea was older than that, then either her earliest surviving memories come rather late in her childhood, or else she would have remembered that Diane wasn't a newborn when she arrived, and according to http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2186 Diane (and possibly Rhea as well) was unaware that she was an adopted child before Diane was six years old. I doubt that Rhea, being 6-8 years old at the time, would have kept such a thing secret from Diane, so it's likely that Rhea had not been aware (or not cared much about) them being adopted either before then.

TLDR: Rhea is older than Diane and doesn't seem to remember anything about Diane's adoption, so that puts an upper limit on how old Diane could have been at the time.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe there's a small indicator that the cheating cheater who cheated is Susan (and Diane's) biological father. Why would Mr. Verres know about the cheating cheater who cheated, particularly if he didn't know about Diane until today? How about the cheating cheater who cheated being someone Mr. Verres worked with? That is, a mage. It would tie in nicely with Susan and Diane having the same powerful magical affinity. And if the Other Woman With Susan's Face is their biological mother, it would make it even more likely. And if the cheating cheater who cheated is a Man in Black like Mr. Verres, it would also give a wonderful explanation for his apparent complete absence since the divorce. Kind of like Tedd's mom, maybe?

If Mr. Verres can access hospital records, it seems pretty likely he can access divorce records. Or it might have been (probably was) a messy, public divorce which was well known around town. Your explanation could have happened, but I don't think Mr. Verres knowing about the cheating really tells us much.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

TLDR: Rhea is older than Diane and doesn't seem to remember anything about Diane's adoption, so that puts an upper limit on how old Diane could have been at the time.

If Diane's mother had been involved in an affair with Mr Pompoms which resulted in an unplanned pregnancy, chances are the mother put Diane up for adoption right after birth.

Depending on the heritage of the adoptive parents, even if Rhea was a year old when they adopted Diane, Rhea might have figured out she was adopted before Diane did, but didn't consider Diane being adopted until Diane was told. Or probably more likely, Diane didn't question why she looked different than the rest of the family until she was 6, Rhea might have assumed Diane knew until that point as well so it wouldn't be like she kept a secret from her, just assumed it was common knowledge based on how obvious it would have looked. Even Nanase was surprised that Diane didn't know how ethnicity worked at that age.

On 11/26/2016 at 7:06 AM, PrimordialSoul253 said:

One thing that puzzles me is that, as far as memory serves, neither Susan nor Diane share a hair color with either Mr. or Mrs. Pompom.  It makes me kind of worried that the big reveal will be that the one who "cheated" at the time Susan and Diane were born was not Mr. Pompom, but Mrs. Pompom.

On 11/26/2016 at 7:28 AM, ijuin said:

Hair color is less reliable than blood type, yes. But it would be interesting twist.

On 11/26/2016 at 7:07 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Either way, the bearer of bad news better have a good answer for every question from Susan's mom.

Or a sword. That might help. :)

23 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

That doesn't explain the hospital records Mr. Verres saw (or was told about), but those could have been altered by the application of the "bribery" spell. Why? How about a hedge against future custody fights, especially believable if Susan was an extra-legal adoption. It might have even Susan's dad who did the bribing.

Yes, the hospital records are much less reliable than Mr. Verres ... on the other hand, one would expect DGB background check being really thorough ... so, maybe actual magic was involved?

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

although letting her go to France knowing that the trip included students from both schools should have raised concerns if she wanted it to remain secret, but it didn't....Did Mrs Pompoms hope that Susan might meet Diane on that trip?

Why do you think she made sure Diane will get on the trip NOW instead of after she will know more french? Without parent like her (or being forced to learn french sooner like Nanase was), Diane would have no chance to get on the trip so soon.

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Why would Mr. Verres know about the cheating cheater who cheated, particularly if he didn't know about Diane until today?

Background check on Susan clearly DID involved details of her parents divorce.

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And if the cheating cheater who cheated is a Man in Black like Mr. Verres, it would also give a wonderful explanation for his apparent complete absence since the divorce. Kind of like Tedd's mom, maybe?

He would need to have higher clearance than Mr. Verres to keep Diane hidden from him.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Even Nanase was surprised that Diane didn't know how ethnicity worked at that age.

Actually, Nanase was surprised UNTIL Diane told the age.

Wait. It was a big deal ... what if it wasn't Diane finding out herself, but RHEA at that time started asking which lead to Diane finding out as well?

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Why do you think she made sure Diane will get on the trip NOW instead of after she will know more french? Without parent like her (or being forced to learn french sooner like Nanase was), Diane would have no chance to get on the trip so soon.

I'm not saying there was any chance of Diane being on that trip. Just saying that maybe Mrs Pompoms, while knowing that Diane went to MSHS (though she likely didn't try to watch Diane closely as it could raise suspicion) and that the two schooled did trips together, thought there might be a chance that Diane would be on that trip.

That's complete speculation though.

21 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Why would Mr. Verres know about the cheating cheater who cheated, particularly if he didn't know about Diane until today?

Edward has also briefly met Diane on New Years, and I think her interaction with Nanase might have given him enough reason to attempt a background check on her, note he was quick to say how difficult it is to find adoption records? Was that just from common knowledge of doing background check with other adopted people, or did he try to look up Diane's history. Not saying he suspected her of being Susan's sister as well, but just for the usual reasons of protecting family and seeing if he can trust their friends.

Actually, Nanase was surprised UNTIL Diane told the age.

Still, Nanase was surprised by the idea that Diane didn't catch on sooner, panel 5 was Nanase thinking "how could you not have figured you weren't true sisters with how different you looked". I'm not entirely sure if being 6 at the time would be considered a good enough defense, personally I think 4 would be the earliest that someone would start questioning stuff like "why is her skin colour darker than mine if we're sisters?", being 6 might still have that , but the older you get, the better the chance of you figuring it out yourself. Maybe that's why it was a big deal, maybe Diane and Rhea were pestering each other and Rhea blurted out "you're not my real sister!"

Has anyone suggested that perhaps the blonde that Susan caught her father with actually are the biological mother of both Susan and Diane?

What I'm thinking is that perhaps Ms. Pompoms was unable to conceive, and the couple found a surrogate mother, "the blonde", to carry their child. I'm not sure what the legal ramifications in the US might have been back then, or what they are today for that matter, but I can see how something like this might have been a bit embarrassing if it became common knowledge. So perhaps they payed off the personal at the hospital to fudge the records to show that Susan is their biological daughter. Diane would have been an unforeseen complication, and either Mr. or Ms. Pompoms might have refused to accept twins when the contract was for one child.

Yes, it's a bit dark, and it shows whoever would be responsible for refusing to take both twins in a particularly bad light. It could however give a nasty explanation of why Ms. Pompoms didn't put up much of a fight when Susan first wanted to change her hair color. Anything that made Susan look less like her twin would make people less likely to notice the similarities between them. And yes, I'm speculating that it was Ms. Pompoms that refused to adopt both babies, and that the woman who Susan caught her father with was the biological mother...

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:
On 11/26/2016 at 4:54 PM, Tom Sewell said:

Edward has also briefly met Diane on New Years, and I think her interaction with Nanase might have given him enough reason to attempt a background check on her, note he was quick to say how difficult it is to find adoption records? Was that just from common knowledge of doing background check with other adopted people, or did he try to look up Diane's history. Not saying he suspected her of being Susan's sister as well, but just for the usual reasons of protecting family and seeing if he can trust their friends.

I'm not sure how FAST those background checks are, but yes, it would make sense to start it after New Years. Especially if there was anything off-panel which made him think it's likely Nanase and Ellen will take her on another "date" as well. He would certainly also checked Charlotte, if not for the fact that with her forum, she likely already has file in DGB. ... hey, do you think the person who was tasked with checking Charlotte's forum will get demotion for not noticing not-Tengu? Or would the official stance be that not-Tengu was not giving enough reason for suspicion and they would just make fun from him in office?

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

personally I think 4 would be the earliest that someone would start questioning stuff like "why is her skin colour darker than mine if we're sisters?"

Why? Personally, I think the time for asking these questions would be when the child starts meeting higher number of other sisters, which can happen as late as in school. Hmmm ... ok, maybe in kindergarden, but not everyone is going to kindergarden.

2 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Has anyone suggested that perhaps the blonde that Susan caught her father with actually are the biological mother of both Susan and Diane?

Uh ... yes? I think I already saw something like that in forum. Or was it you?

What I'm thinking is that perhaps Ms. Pompoms was unable to conceive, and the couple found a surrogate mother, "the blonde", to carry their child. I'm not sure what the legal ramifications in the US might have been back then, or what they are today for that matter, but I can see how something like this might have been a bit embarrassing if it became common knowledge. So perhaps they payed off the personal at the hospital to fudge the records to show that Susan is their biological daughter.

Makes sense. Except I would assume Mrs. Pompoms would go for the version of surrogacy where the child would be genetically hers ... but maybe something went wrong? I mean, this would be getting very complicated, but perhaps Mrs. Pompoms THOUGH it's surrogacy but Mr. Pompoms had another idea?

Diane would have been an unforeseen complication, and either Mr. or Ms. Pompoms might have refused to accept twins when the contract was for one child.

Or, maybe the surrogate mother didn't told them.