• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Monday November 28, 2016

1 hour ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I rather liked grunge.

I'm struggling to remember what I can of 80s fashion. (I was there, but I was an outcast, mostly by choice.) Let's see, I can remember thinking golf shirts with upturned collars were ridiculous, and I never indulged, and I thought the young women wore far too much makeup.

46 minutes ago, ijuin said:

The height of 80s fashions was at a time when I was too young to be selecting my own wardrobe, so I didn't exactly choose whether or not to participate. Then again, since I was too young to remember a time before the stuff was fashionable, for all I knew people simply always dressed that way.

I spent most of the 80's in green, then cammo. (BDU).  Weird stuff that civilians were wearing wasn't a problem.  Off duty it was jeans and either black or dark green tee shirts or flannel, depending on the time of year.  Of course winter in Germany you couldn't tell what my shirt was when I was out side.  Thick ass parka on top.

Or, of course SCA grab, but that was a weekend thing.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I spent most of the 80's in green, then cammo. (BDU).  Weird stuff that civilians were wearing wasn't a problem.  Off duty it was jeans and either black or dark green tee shirts or flannel, depending on the time of year.  Of course winter in Germany you couldn't tell what my shirt was when I was out side.  Thick ass parka on top.

Or, of course SCA grab, but that was a weekend thing.

I remember back in the eighties when I served in the Danish Army that we had carnival in town. I despised the carnival in all possible ways. I hated the music, the noise, the way people got drunk and how everybody littered and left trash everywhere. I was off duty that day but I was so disgusted that I deliberately put on my dress uniform complete with jacket and tie. Then I walked right through the middle of the carnival to visit a friend.

It was a great experience. Everyone gawked at me, and the capper was unquestionably when someone yelled at me for being a conformist. That made my entire day.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note that it is possible Lucy wasn't there either. She might limit herself to online games to keep non-nerd image for same reasons as Diane, but was still wearing costume-inspired clothing based on the idea that non-nerds wouldn't get the reference.

I picture her as a Hot Topic geek.  It's a clothing store that tends to carry only the trendiest geeky clothing.  Whatever comic book based movie is big just then, the new Star Wars movies, the Star Trek reboot, etc.  Lucy would be one of those kids who says they *love* Doctor Who, but only actually mean that they love Matt Smith, who never botherd to watch any Eccleston let alone pre-hiatus stuff, and who quit watching the show as soon as he regenerated because They Changed It Now It Sucks.  (TV Tropes link omitted because I don't dare venture there to get it.)

10 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I rather liked grunge.

I'm struggling to remember what I can of 80s fashion. (I was there, but I was an outcast, mostly by choice.) Let's see, I can remember thinking golf shirts with upturned collars were ridiculous, and I never indulged, and I thought the young women wore far too much makeup.

My memory is quite selective. I remember that girls had Big Hair, wore pastel colored clothes, leg warmers, lots of big cheap jewelry, lots of makeup. short shorts. Short tops. Short jackets. Tights and pirate pants, often transparent in the right light, and then there were the mumble pants...

As for us boys I have no idea really. Didn't care to commit anything about male fashion, because I was to occupied watching the girls...

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I remember back in the eighties when I served in the Danish Army that we had carnival in town. I despised the carnival in all possible ways. I hated the music, the noise, the way people got drunk and how everybody littered and left trash everywhere. I was off duty that day but I was so disgusted that I deliberately put on my dress uniform complete with jacket and tie. Then I walked right through the middle of the carnival to visit a friend.

It was a great experience. Everyone gawked at me, and the capper was unquestionably when someone yelled at me for being a conformist. That made my entire day.

Did something similar back in the nineties. I went directly from a huge wedding to a LPC concert in black suit and tie. Being the only one in the audience dressed like this I drew quite a lot of confused stares. Didn't stop me from dancing my ass off. Not being all that sober probably helped me shake loose, though it couldn't do anything to improve my dance or to keep the others safe. Still I had a good time and I don't remember seriously hurting anyone.

55 minutes ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Did something similar back in the nineties. I went directly from a huge wedding to a LPC concert in black suit and tie. Being the only one in the audience dressed like this I drew quite a lot of confused stares. Didn't stop me from dancing my ass off. Not being all that sober probably helped me shake loose, though it couldn't do anything to improve my dance or to keep the others safe. Still I had a good time and I don't remember seriously hurting anyone.

These days, my crowd would just assume someone showing up in a suit at a more casual event was cosplaying the tenth Doctor.

I had hair like Susan's for maybe thirty years, and I once wore a tie-dyed T-shirt to a "metal" concert.  (Quotes because the lead band was Whitesnake, I think the other two were Bad English and Poison, not exactly heavy but it was fun!)  I did get called a "god-damned hippie," but since it was by someone I had just beat to the last opening at the edge of the stage, I took it more as their failing than mine.  I honestly hadn't thought about what I was wearing until that point, though!

I agree that 80s styles were a lot more fun than grunge was.  Grunge bands always struck me as whiney slumming-middle-class brats, and it annoys me to no end to hear people declare that Nirvana was the voice of my generation.  When I got to my large animal rotations in vet school, I was relieved to discover that country music seemed to be where all of rock's sense of humor had disappeared to.  (Too bad it got so political since then.)

44 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I agree that 80s styles were a lot more fun than grunge was.  Grunge bands always struck me as whiney slumming-middle-class brats, and it annoys me to no end to hear people declare that Nirvana was the voice of my generation.

Well, here is the voice of my generation. That is to say, the generation of garrulous old cynical hacks.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

Well, here is the voice of my generation. That is to say, the generation of garrulous old cynical hacks.

Stormfront was good stuff.  Billy Joel's last gasp before going to seed.   

I'm a bit more fond of his older stuff.  I am told he wrote Piano Man while working as one.  He was biding his time, waiting for a bad music contract to run out.

47 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

In grade 6 (1989-90) our teacher played that song plus this one a lot, we even spent time analyzing both songs and learned about sampling and lyric structure.

But yeah, a lot of Billy Joel's music hold's up really well I think, aside from "We didn't start the fire" that is, I don't think many of the references in that song would have as much impact on today's youth...though I'm sure the lyrics could be updated using all the major events from 89 to now pretty easily.

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:

But yeah, a lot of Billy Joel's music hold's up really well I think, aside from "We didn't start the fire" that is,

Look, I said it was the voice of my personal generation. I said nothing whatsoever about my generation's ability to stand up to the test of time. :demonicduck:

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Look, I said it was the voice of my personal generation. I said nothing whatsoever about my generation's ability to stand up to the test of time. :demonicduck:

As long as you're still able to stand, I'd say you're doing pretty well. ;)