• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

NP Monday November 28, 2016

Oh Rhoda.  Don't you know that Running will only draw attention to yourself?

And I see nothing wrong with the mall fashion.  Of course, I actually liked a lot of the 80's fashions.  Especially when compared to the previous hippies and the later grunge.

Or perhaps I'm looking at this from the wrong direction?
Rhoda is a Runner, and the Sandmen will stop her.  She should have Renewed in Carousel.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

I'm amused that Lucy is a fairly serious Xena: Warrior Princess fan.  This goes along quite well with her slaying a dragon. She may be a semi closeted geek.

That's why I figure she's into cosplay or larping if she's wearing that outfit.

3 hours ago, Apocriopath said:

Soon the fashion will go full jojo's. 

I have no issue with this.

Never go full JoJo..... 

Also, I can't (quite) see Dan being willing to challenge some of the outfits in Diamond is Unbreakable.  Oddly enough, I could see Justin cosplaying as Polnareff.  Maybe even Dio.

2 hours ago, AFNB said:

Might have placed Diane's friend as Lucy, if she hadn't looked kinda bulky last week.

And no, I'm not talking about the magic pretzel strip, I'm talking about this one.

Lucy has never been shown as a small girl, even if Diane said Rhoda was the one that gained weight.

17 hours ago, Stature said:

If it is not broken, improve it.

Soooo ... keep improving until it breaks?

17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Oh Rhoda.  Don't you know that Running will only draw attention to yourself?

Unless some discounts were just announced.

17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And I see nothing wrong with the mall fashion.

I see problems coming from the fact that regular cast would be wearing different fashion than background characters.

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm amused that Lucy is a fairly serious Xena: Warrior Princess fan.  This goes along quite well with her slaying a dragon. She may be a semi closeted geek.

Something like Diane? :)

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

That's why I figure she's into cosplay or larping if she's wearing that outfit.

I still think she's playing MMORPG (even if the slain dragon was part of her avatar and not background from her being interrupted inside the MMORPG as I originally though, it could be screenshot from game) and only cosplaying in "reality". Especially considering Xena herself is more fitting for cosplaying than LARP considering her "direct-blade-into-middle-of-chest" armor. Hmmm ... maybe she also plays Xena RPG? Was Diane so close to meeting Susan at that scene?

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

I get the impression that if Lucy had punched that guy instead of Diane, we would have seen teeth flying. That extra bulk is mostly muscle.

I'm not sure there was no teeth flying from that Diane punch.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... maybe she also plays Xena RPG? Was Diane so close to meeting Susan at that scene?

She probably does, but I don't think it's likely that Diane would be there, she had an image to maintain which was that she wasn't a nerd. It is interesting though, she apparently doesn't hold those standards to Lucy or Rhoda, I think with Lucy they both shared the same intent to get guys to buy them stuff and that was fine with her, and what Lucy did on her own time wasn't for Diane to dictate. Rhoda, I still believe represents someone that makes Diane feel like a guardian. We've never seen Diane threaten to kick Rhoda from the groupfor her looks or behaviour, but quite the opposite, Diane was always coming to Rhoda's defense and comforting her, the latter link probably shows that Diane is trying to help Rhoda be less passive about stuff, which seems to have helped considering how Rhoda is now, though Catalina probably was a big help with that too.

24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
17 hours ago, mlooney said:

While I did say that Diane has been trying to maintain the image that she's not a nerd or geek, it's pretty clear that image has been crumbling for a while now and is probably almost gone now. Although if we're to take this as canon, then maybe not quite crumbled yet.

27 minutes ago, Scotty said:

She probably does, but I don't think it's likely that Diane would be there, she had an image to maintain which was that she wasn't a nerd. It is interesting though, she apparently doesn't hold those standards to Lucy or Rhoda, I think with Lucy they both shared the same intent to get guys to buy them stuff and that was fine with her, and what Lucy did on her own time wasn't for Diane to dictate

Yeah ... I overdid the speculation a little. :)

Note that it is possible Lucy wasn't there either. She might limit herself to online games to keep non-nerd image for same reasons as Diane, but was still wearing costume-inspired clothing based on the idea that non-nerds wouldn't get the reference.

32 minutes ago, Scotty said:

We've never seen Diane threaten to kick Rhoda from the groupfor her looks or behaviour

Wait. Did she threatened anyone else?

34 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:
18 hours ago, mlooney said:

While I did say that Diane has been trying to maintain the image that she's not a nerd or geek, it's pretty clear that image has been crumbling for a while now and is probably almost gone now. Although if we're to take this as canon, then maybe not quite crumbled yet.

She might get closer to admitting it herself and her new friends, but not moving a inch regarding revealing her geek side to her old friends or general public.

And yes ... it's weird that it's Lucy in that strip who complains about seeing fantasy movie if she likes fantasy. Unless, as I mentioned, she's trying to hide that side of her from Diane. Not successfully, likely, considering the dragon ...

28 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Wait. Did she threatened anyone else?

I don't think so. There hasn't been any evidence of it.

37 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She might get closer to admitting it herself and her new friends, but not moving a inch regarding revealing her geek side to her old friends or general public.

Possibly as well.

37 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And yes ... it's weird that it's Lucy in that strip who complains about seeing fantasy movie if she likes fantasy. Unless, as I mentioned, she's trying to hide that side of her from Diane. Not successfully, likely, considering the dragon ...

I took that as Lucy not objecting to seeing the movie, just shocked and suspicious that Diane was eager to see the movie.

34 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I took that as Lucy not objecting to seeing the movie, just shocked and suspicious that Diane was eager to see the movie.

The first panel would be weird phrasing then, IMHO. Like, was there not even the possibility others would go to the movie to support her?

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

The first panel would be weird phrasing then, IMHO. Like, was there not even the possibility others would go to the movie to support her?

It's like "We've never done something like this together, yet here we are, and it was your idea." hard to believe

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:
15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's like "We've never done something like this together, yet here we are, and it was your idea." hard to believe

Let's see some less weird alternatives for comparison:

"I can't believe we're seeing this together."

"I can't believe you took us to / chosen this movie."

Or maybe even "I can't believe we're seeing this.", with the previous sense implied.

48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Or maybe even "I can't believe we're seeing this.", with the previous sense implied.

Not sure how you considered my idea weird.

As you said before, you see Lucy playing MMORPGs, if so, then there's a chance she's played WoW, which means there'd also be a chance that she'd be interested in seeing the movie as well, though you don't necessarily need to have played WoW to be interested, there's the 3 Warcraft RTS games, Hearthstone, a slew of books that put the lore of Warcraft in great detail, also fan made machinima, anyone who's had experience with those and liked them would consider seeing the movie. It's possible Lucy was planning on seeing it herself without Diane and Rhoda, but then Diane was like "I want to see the Warcraft movie, want to come with us?" and so Lucy, who never expected this from Diane was like "uh...ok?"

Basically, hearing Diane want to see Warcraft was so shocking, Lucy could power the other half of the city. ;)

53 minutes ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Not sure how you considered my idea weird.

I don't consider your idea weird. I consider Lucy's choice of words weird in case your idea is true.

As you said before, you see Lucy playing MMORPGs, if so, then there's a chance she's played WoW, which means there'd also be a chance that she'd be interested in seeing the movie as well, though you don't necessarily need to have played WoW to be interested, there's the 3 Warcraft RTS games

... three? And you can play for dark elves in the third? How did I missed that? Did I spend so long on StarCraft? Hmmm ... too late. I don't have time to play "big" games (more than half hour in one go) anymore. Would need to go wait in queue after Portal.

a slew of books that put the lore of Warcraft in great detail

And comics.

It's possible Lucy was planning on seeing it herself without Diane and Rhoda, but then Diane was like "I want to see the Warcraft movie, want to come with us?" and so Lucy, who never expected this from Diane was like

"You want to see this?" or

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... but I just don't see her saying "I can't believe we're seeing this." It just doesn't match.

Basically, hearing Diane want to see Warcraft was so shocking, Lucy could power the other half of the city.

... unless it was so shocking she stopped making sense :)

On 11/28/2016 at 0:57 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Of course, I actually liked a lot of the 80's fashions.  Especially when compared to the previous hippies and the later grunge.

I rather liked grunge.

I'm struggling to remember what I can of 80s fashion. (I was there, but I was an outcast, mostly by choice.) Let's see, I can remember thinking golf shirts with upturned collars were ridiculous, and I never indulged, and I thought the young women wore far too much makeup.

The height of 80s fashions was at a time when I was too young to be selecting my own wardrobe, so I didn't exactly choose whether or not to participate. Then again, since I was too young to remember a time before the stuff was fashionable, for all I knew people simply always dressed that way.