• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Discussion of Military, real or fictional

On a related note, the anti-war pro-Putin faction in Denmark has come up with an amazing new argument.

One side effect of Denmark sending as much gear as possible to Ukraine is that when we replace it, it is generally with newer and better materiel. I mean yes it is not great that it is old stuff the Ukrainians are getting but at least they are getting it right away. But Denmark still needs vehicles and weapons of its own and replacements obviously tend to be more modern.

The Putinists are referring to this as 'stealth mobilization' and is warning that this will lead... to Denmark taking a more aggressive stance against her neighbours.

...dafuq?

Denmark is literally the smallest nation in all of northern Europe with the possible exception of Luxembourg. I don't think we've waged a war of expansion since the 17th Century, and the ones we fought in then did not end well. Well, yes, Luxembourg is smaller than Denmark but I do not quite see the Danish Army beat aside the Germans and the French on our way there. I swear to God, the Putinists have lost control of their single brain cell and it is desperately hiding from them now.

(In my teens I did once formulate a plan for Denmark regaining control of southern Sweden, but it involved airdropping large amounts of Schnapps and beer over strategically important junctions and then moving in with truckloads of more booze we would hand over for free. I figured we would be greeted as liberators because of Sweden's near-Prohibition level control of alcohol sales. Sadly, my plan never gained much traction, though my military acquaintances did say it was a lot less likely to lead to mass casualties than conventional warfare.)

Sometimes it is necessary to reflect that we do not have a monopoly on stupidity in the US. Weeks when there is a madman shooting people several days in a row (a different madman each day) can get one down.

One T-34 in the Moscow May 9th parade.  Might as well not have any tanks.  They have, at last count, 30 functional T-34 (bought from Laos just for parades).  No T-14, none of the "modern" APC/IFV.  As a victory parade goes, this was close to not having one.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/status/1655843168225488899?s=46&t=axBHjyvbThecDAhWKWTJNw

10 minutes ago, mlooney said:

One T-34 in the Moscow May 9th parade.  Might as well not have any tanks.  They have, at last count, 30 functional T-34 (bought from Laos just for parades).  No T-14, none of the "modern" APC/IFV.  As a victory parade goes, this was close to not having one.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/status/1655843168225488899?s=46&t=axBHjyvbThecDAhWKWTJNw

So in order it was:
One T-34
Some GAZ Tigrs and other 4x4s
Six Z-STS armored trucks
A BTR-82
Iskander launch vehicles
S-400 launch vehicles
Yars launch vehicles
And three Bumerangs, each with a flag of one of the branches of the armed forces

12 minutes ago, mlooney said:

So in order it was:
One T-34
Some GAZ Tigrs and other 4x4s
Six Z-STS armored trucks
A BTR-82
Iskander launch vehicles
S-400 launch vehicles
Yars launch vehicles
And three Bumerangs, each with a flag of one of the branches of the armed forces

No technicals? I am almost disappointed.

57 minutes ago, mlooney said:

One T-34 in the Moscow May 9th parade.  Might as well not have any tanks.  They have, at last count, 30 functional T-34 (bought from Laos just for parades). 

By modern standards, the T-34 still looks impressive, being the forerunner of the sloped armor design, more so than say a Sherman would appear. But it would face generations of weapons that can smoke it's successors successors, so it wouldn't last long on a battlefield.

The T-34 has less than 100mm of armor, granted sloped.  Modern 40mm grenades can penetrate it.  That's with out using any thing like an anti-tank weapon.

There are anomalies in those photos; they appear to be photoshopped. I believe the flags are Soviet era, much out of date. The civilian vehicles look fairly old as well.

Your point is made, though. The T-34 looks like a toy in comparison.

What is the little thing, looks like maybe a robot, in front to the lead tank in the upper photo?

I don't recognize the ancient armored vehicle. The vintage appears to be not much beyond WW I. The suspension is particularly primitive, and the armor does not look like it would hold up against a 50 cal. It might be best utilized as a decoy while you are running away.

5 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I don't recognize the ancient armored vehicle. The vintage appears to be not much beyond WW I. The suspension is particularly primitive, and the armor does not look like it would hold up against a 50 cal. It might be best utilized as a decoy while you are running away.

It's a Renault FT-17, often considered the ancestor of the modern tank. The first examples built in 1917, it had a rotating turret with a 20 mm cannon and an engine in the rear end. The vast majority of all tank designs since were based on this pattern.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

It's a Renault FT-17, often considered the ancestor of the modern tank. The first examples built in 1917, it had a rotating turret with a 20 mm cannon and an engine in the rear end. The vast majority of all tank designs since were based on this pattern.

It was either a machine gun or a short 37mm gun, not a 20mm.  Fun fact: It's called FT-17 because that's what the Americans called it. "French Tank, Model 17"

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It's armor would not stand up to modern armor piercing rifle rounds, never mind a .50 cal

After  the Coronation, processions, and mass salute at Buckingham palace on May 6 the assembled forces and bands marched to Waterloo station.

Although also lacking tanks, I thought this short hike at the end of their day was more impressive than the May 9 parade at the Kremlin. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XgYEd1lT6w

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Really shows the difference in dress uniforms of the various regiments and branches of the UK military.

Russia does seem to go overboard with the ribbons and medals.

On 5/11/2023 at 2:34 AM, mlooney said:

It's armor would not stand up to modern armor piercing rifle rounds, never mind a .50 cal

In all fairness, I do not think Renault had the weaponry of a century later in mind when he designed it. And I do think the man could be otherwise called prescient. After all, I have yet to see any modern tank design that has deviated far from its basic conception: rotating turret with heaviest weapon in it, thick front armour, engine to the rear, tracked locomotion.

Exceptions do exist but these tend to be specialized for nonstandard purposes.