• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Friday, November 18, 2022

Comic for Friday, November 18, 2022

So, in panel 2, a fog with bubbles sweeps down the hall, further obscuring the pair so that in panel 3, we see only their silhouette.

I have to conclude that the pressure from Lucy's hug caused Diane to pass gas in panel 2, hence her shocked expression, and the need for 'lies, lots and lots of obvious lies'.

Fortunately, it dissipated quickly. Lucy seems to hardly have noticed (or she's just being polite).

In the final panel, Diane continues to have strange, shark-like dentation. Perhaps this is because of her Immortal shape-shifting grandparent, though we have never seen Adrian Raven with teeth like these. This aspect of Diane has only emerged recently. Lucy is a brave woman to French kiss her.

Also, she is glowing. Tedd glows when they're happy, Diane glows when she has a revelation about being behind the curve?

At least they are back together. For now. But Diane is still hiding. She's not taking it well.

One of the gaps in American education is secrets.

When to keep?

With whom to share?

How do you know if the demand to keep or disclose is unfair?

Telling nothing hurts people.

Telling lies hurts people.

Telling everything hurts people.

Aside from magic, which Noah touched on ("The glowing woman"), once Diane said "Mr. Raven" she doesn't really have that much of a secret.  Other than Mr. Raven being the son of an immortal of course.  

28 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Aside from magic, which Noah touched on ("The glowing woman"), once Diane said "Mr. Raven" she doesn't really have that much of a secret.  Other than Mr. Raven being the son of an immortal of course.  

You would think 'the glowing woman' (hovering, too, iirc) would be enough of a clue to the general public that magic exists in their world, but indications in the comic seem to still say that the general populace is still unaware, including Lucy. I don't see their relationship working out if Diane does not come clean. Think of it like the Angelina Jolie / Brad Pitt movie where they are both competing spies; tough to work with secrets in a relationship. OTOH my ex and I both had clearances and did not discuss classified, so maybe, but then again, we are exs (I don't attribute our breakup to that).

The group is starting to run into this issue quite a bit. They are facing a decision to cloister, and live in isolation, or to include mundane people they are close to. IF they do that, then there are boundaries issues; who can you tell? Can Diane include her adoptive parents?

[        ]  <-  Can          ~ ~ ~  <- Worms          [~~~]

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Can Diane include her adoptive parents?

At this point I think she should.  And should come clean on the whole mess, leaving out, maybe, that she has magic.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

OTOH my ex and I both had clearances and did not discuss classified, so maybe, but then again, we are exs (I don't attribute our breakup to that).

I certainly wouldn't. You each had work-related secrets you weren't supposed to discuss, and you each knew that the other had such secrets. Presumably you respected each other's situation enough to not share and not pry.

While I have no data on the subject, I would be unsurprised if it turned out that such couples are a bit more stable than average.

(On the other hand, there is no shortage of NON-work-related stuff that can eff up a marriage.)

51 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Maybe she should leave out the part about Adrian being half-immortal and just include the part about him being her biological father.

That might work, however it would not explain Susan.

Diane's angst at keeping secrets is similar to Ashley's but she is not handling it as well.

I am now wondering why Rhoda and Catalina put such an emphasis on secrecy when they did not know about the magic police.

39 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I am now wondering why Rhoda and Catalina put such an emphasis on secrecy when they did not know about the magic police

They really haven't.  They used their magic in "Escape from the Mall".  Granted they tried to be secretive about it but failed.  Granted they haven't just told every body about their magic and Catalina is hiding her cat magic from Susan.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

They really haven't.  They used their magic in "Escape from the Mall".  Granted they tried to be secretive about it but failed.  Granted they haven't just told every body about their magic and Catalina is hiding her cat magic from Susan.

So can Diane now 'detect magic' nearby her by tasting it?

Seems that is not a thing, she only tasted the door blasting everyone. What did she taste? Just the spell she resisted? A large release over some threshold amount?

Related issue, why was she able to resist the door, which she was not expecting, but did not seem to have resistance to other spells? Or was she just never the target? I think she got herself shrunk for the cake.

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

So can Diane now 'detect magic' nearby her by tasting it?

I suspect that her detect magic ability triggers when she is being targeted.  I suspect that she will learn to use it more generally. 

Considering the fact that her ears changed from round to pointed when she resisted the mirror, and again when she caught up to Noah, it seems likely that she's under a similar enchantment to her father. It seems to be powered by her own magic energy, so if she uses too much magic, the spell lapses, and she reverts to her true, pointed-ears, appearance.

This implies that her mom was also a half-immortal, or at the very least a wizard, as that sort of specialized illusion would most likely only be granted to a half-immortal. 

Since it's been established in EGS canon that if both parents are wizards, their children will always be wizards, Diane is also a wizard (as was shown when she smelt the door's magic).

However, the illusion normally blocks her ability to detect magic, so Diane would probably need to concentrate to detect magic, unless the illusion has been turned off.

Problem with that theory is that if Diane was a wizard Tara would have noticed and said something other than "possible vampire hunter" when she was saying what their magical abilities were.

Immortal-derived power is immune to being sensed by mortal magic-detecting senses, as stated by Adrian himself. Tara and Andrea would thus have no indication of her Immortal heritage just from reading her aura.

47 minutes ago, mlooney said:

But Abraham was able to sense Raven, so not all immortal based power is undetectable.

Perhaps anomalies due to inconsistent writing dues to developing ideas? Dan's world building has been very good, but EGS is a big multi-world.

Abraham was more highly trained than many in the cast, and may have deduced things about Adrian Raven without sensing all of the details directly.

9 hours ago, Southern Cross said:

Considering the fact that her ears changed from round to pointed when she resisted the mirror, and again when she caught up to Noah, it seems likely that she's under a similar enchantment to her father. It seems to be powered by her own magic energy, so if she uses too much magic, the spell lapses, and she reverts to her true, pointed-ears, appearance.

This implies that her mom was also a half-immortal, or at the very least a wizard, as that sort of specialized illusion would most likely only be granted to a half-immortal. 

Since it's been established in EGS canon that if both parents are wizards, their children will always be wizards, Diane is also a wizard (as was shown when she smelt the door's magic).

However, the illusion normally blocks her ability to detect magic, so Diane would probably need to concentrate to detect magic, unless the illusion has been turned off.

Pandora procreated and produced Adrian with a human male; it seems a genetic code must be involved, either intrinsic or as she takes human form. Seems then like individual immortal based features would be a coin flip in each succeeding generation, and would not require a second half-immortal.

The features are not the problem - it's the fact that her appearance changes when she either successfully resists a spell or casts a powerful spell to give herself a speed boost. Since her appearance changes back when she's not expending magic energy, this implies that someone (probably her biological mother) cast an illusion spell on her to disguise her pointed ears. The spell must draw upon her own magic reserves, so if she expends sufficient magic energy, it lapses until she stops expending her magic.

That's a good theory, I just have a little trouble with the idea that her bio mom stayed around her long enough to cast a powerful spell on her.  I've assumed that she was adopted as an infant, based on her not knowing how ethnicity worked as a child, and not having any memories of her bio mom.

22 hours ago, Southern Cross said:

The features are not the problem - it's the fact that her appearance changes when she either successfully resists a spell or casts a powerful spell to give herself a speed boost. Since her appearance changes back when she's not expending magic energy, this implies that someone (probably her biological mother) cast an illusion spell on her to disguise her pointed ears. The spell must draw upon her own magic reserves, so if she expends sufficient magic energy, it lapses until she stops expending her magic.

My impression was that the ears were actually transforming. Hmm, illusion is a possibility, but she's been adopted long ago.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I would not be surprised if Diane decided to wear the elf-ear look at all times

She is barely aware of the pointy ears at present. I wonder if this is an option? It would call possibly unwanted attention to herself. And we've seen that she often prefers to not draw attention to herself.

17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I would not be surprised if Diane decided to wear the elf-ear look at all times

She did say she would rock that look.

14 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

And we've seen that she often prefers to not draw attention to herself.

She's also said she's an attention grabbing cheerleader, so it goes both ways.

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

She did say she would rock that look.

In fiction-speak, that could be foreshadowing.

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

She's also said she's an attention grabbing cheerleader, so it goes both ways.

Well sure, depends on context. Obviously comfortable with some kinds of attention, but also relies on stealth (sneaking drinks at her sister's parties) and crazy prepared for it (the dark haired wig in the store). She is particularly uncomfortable with revealing details of her biological family to her adopted family, and the ears would tie into that fear.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
fixed mistake - 'wig', not 'with'