• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Monday, November 28, 2022

Comic for Monday, November 28, 2022

Diane, you make a few valid point, but again, based on scant information, and much speculation.

Gather relevant information before passing judgement.

"Has Noah talked to know one ...?, Is he living alone ...? Is he even old enough ...?" - Gather. Your. Facts.

(Especially because you are a comic strip character, and we want to know, too.)

"What the hell, bio-dad" - That is some Olympic level jumping to conclusions.

"... Say something before leaving town." - He left word specifically for you. Noah offered to explain. You chose to ignore it. Maybe you should have kept your temper and heard him out.

You have been avoiding Adrian Raven for days? Weeks? Then you suddenly make your mind up that you want to talk to him, and he's not available, and you are angry at him? He's beholden to a schedule you just made up in the last half hour in your own mind? Narcissist much?

Now you are compounding your errors. Great. This should go well.

The guy sitting in front of Diane has no right eye. No indication of even an eye socket in panel one. I find this profoundly disturbing.

Diane is acting very much like a high school student who is used to getting things her way with little to no effort.  While she has toned down her "queen bee" tendency, it's still her fall back position. 

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Diane is acting very much like a high school student who is used to getting things her way with little to no effort.  While she has toned down her "queen bee" tendency, it's still her fall back position. 

She hasn't been acting out with that for a while; I guess pronouncing her 'cured' was premature ...

6 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

She hasn't been acting out with that for a while; I guess pronouncing her 'cured' was premature ...

It's only been about 3 weeks comic time.   That all took place after the end of Sister 3, which was about 3 weeks ago.  Let me check the time line.  Yeah, the current date is Feb 12th 20XY.  Legend of Diane was Jan 18th, so 25 days.

https://elgoonishshive.fandom.com/wiki/El_Goonish_Shive_Timeline#Second_Year_(2014?)

12 minutes ago, mlooney said:

It's only been about 3 weeks comic time.   That all took place after the end of Sister 3, which was about 3 weeks ago.  Let me check the time line.  Yeah, the current date is Feb 12th 20XY.  Legend of Diane was Jan 18th, so 25 days.

https://elgoonishshive.fandom.com/wiki/El_Goonish_Shive_Timeline#Second_Year_(2014?)

I got to say, the rate at which the comic crawls along throws you off. I know it's just days or weeks, but it feels much longer. It's a bit like M.A.S.H., where there's no way they crammed all of those shenanigans into the actual length of the Korean conflict.

It doesn't help that Justin seemed to have changed his mind about Diane after her one apology to him.  He was acting, at least during the party, like she had reformed for quite a while.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I got to say, the rate at which the comic crawls along throws you off. I know it's just days or weeks, but it feels much longer. It's a bit like M.A.S.H., where there's no way they crammed all of those shenanigans into the actual length of the Korean conflict.

I haven't seen any MASH (besides the end of a few episodes back when they were playing it just before a show I was actually planning on watching), but my understanding is that while they claimed it was set in Korea, it was actually commenting on the Vietnam war. So perhaps it's best to think of the show as taking place in an alternate universe where Korea dragged on like Vietnam did in real life.

As for EGS, while there are some periods in the comic's timeline that are strangely busy, I'm pretty sure it could all technically happen in the amount of time Dan said it did (well, if all the magic and soft sci-fi stuff could happen at all). I also don't think I've personally felt thrown off by the timeline, though I must admit the slow pacing does annoy me at times.

I'm fairly sure that the events of EGS could have taken place in the time given for them.  It's bit of a compressed time frame, but not really all that bad.  As a comparison, look at Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Each season was a year of school and there were events almost every week.

6 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I haven't seen any MASH (besides the end of a few episodes back when they were playing it just before a show I was actually planning on watching), but my understanding is that while they claimed it was set in Korea, it was actually commenting on the Vietnam war. So perhaps it's best to think of the show as taking place in an alternate universe where Korea dragged on like Vietnam did in real life.

The show was set in the Korean conflict, and yes, it was a commentary on more than it's direct subject matter.

The Korean conflict as a live conflict ended quickly, but it is still ongoing as an unresolved conflict; there is no treaty. The two Koreas have been at war for 70 years.

4 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

If the strip were moving along at real time, we'd be following the adventures of the Main Eight's high school-aged children right about now.

The Peanuts kids aged a couple of years over the course of the comic. Calvin and Dennis never aged at all.

I know that some of the Peanuts cast (like Linus and Sally) started out significantly younger than Charlie Brown, Lucy, etc., then grew up to almost the same age as the "older" characters. But was there actually any indication of Charlie Brown himself and those who started his age getting older?

11 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I know that some of the Peanuts cast (like Linus and Sally) started out significantly younger than Charlie Brown, Lucy, etc., then grew up to almost the same age as the "older" characters. But was there actually any indication of Charlie Brown himself and those who started his age getting older?

Some of the very early Peanuts had CB looking much younger than the later ones.  That may have been an effect of art style however.  I know that Snoopy started as a puppy that more or less acted like a dog but, of course, changed over the years. 

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Some of the very early Peanuts had CB looking much younger than the later ones.  That may have been an effect of art style however.  I know that Snoopy started as a puppy that more or less acted like a dog but, of course, changed over the years. 

Yes, as mlooney said, in the very early Peanuts strips, all of the kids look at most like just past toddler stage, and kind of talk like it as well. IIRC (I had a book of early strips, I don't recall the actual strips), Schroeder and Lucy were initially introduced as younger, and Linus was an actual toddler, hence the blanket. Evolving art style may account for it, but I'm guessing that Charles Schultz's own family were his initial models and the style progressed initially as they aged.

Most of the initial cast, Shermy, Violet, and Patty were dropped, Charlie Brown is the sole continual character, although Snoopy, Schroeder, Lucy, Linus, and Sally came in fairly early.

Snoopy was initially just a dog, not given to (literal) flight of fantasy.

MAD did a 'Shermy visits the gang' comic in the 1960s. He was shocked how much everyone had changed.

Maybe in revenge, a Peanuts strip had Alfred E. Newman's face; it may have been the moon.

As a kid I received several second-hand books containing fairly early strips (I think the books were published in the 60s but had strips from the 50s). I don't remember Charlie looking younger or them talking like toddlers, but I do remember Shermy, Violet, and Patty. I also remember toddler-Linus, and that when Schroeder was introduced he couldn't talk yet but was already a master pianist. I also seem to recall that Linus was already drawn like the rest of the "older" kids when then-a-toddler Sally developed her crush on him.

Here's the A.E.N. strip.

GoComics appears to have them all. That would appear to be the very first strip, and that is Sherm and Patty sitting on the curb.

Snoopy is in the 3rd one, so precedes Violet.

Re: "... or them talking like toddlers, ...", he certainly isn't plowing new ground in these early strips. I dare say that had he not stepped up his game and added the philosophic quips, he'd be a footnote today. These are pretty much so-so and boring.

On 11/29/2022 at 1:44 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

GoComics appears to have them all. That would appear to be the very first strip, and that is Sherm and Patty sitting on the curb.

That one is actually really familiar to me. In fact I recognize a lot of those old strips. Apparently, one of the books I got as a kid didn't just have early strips, it had the very first ones.

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

That one is actually really familiar to me. In fact I recognize a lot of those old strips. Apparently, one of the books I got as a kid didn't just have early strips, it had the very first ones.

I remember liking the early ones better when I was little. I recall, also a coloring book which was pages of the comic gags. Few words, so it was easy to appreciate at three or four.

One thing I noticed is that Snoopy isn't Charley Browns dog in the beginning.  Rapidly turned out to be that, but he seemed to be Patty's dog at first. 

19 hours ago, mlooney said:

One thing I noticed is that Snoopy isn't Charley Browns dog in the beginning.  Rapidly turned out to be that, but he seemed to be Patty's dog at first. 

It is ambiguous at first, because he's begging at everyone's table.