• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

The Holiday Seasonings

Accumulation so far is three partridges each in their own pear tree (one set each for three days), four turtle doves (two each for two days), and three french hens (aka 'poule').

I am disappointed to learn that turtle doves are not mutant, nor ninjas. Not do they have shells.

This song is said to have been a memory challenge, which makes me wonder if people had really bad memories in the olden times.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

This song is said to have been a memory challenge, which makes me wonder if people had really bad memories in the olden times.

I can assure you that the human memory was no worse in olden times than it is . . . 

what were we talking about?

58 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I can assure you that the human memory was no worse in olden times than it is . . . 

what were we talking about?

Speak for yourself.  My memory is shot.

It's 4 bird day! Some sort of bird starting with a C. This includes Colly, Colley, Canary, Collie, Colour'd, Curley, Coloured,Collie and Calling. Some people get Ducks quacking, but those are rare.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Have a happy "Gold ring" Day!  Fun fact, the gold rings of the song might be a type of pheasant, not jewelry.

And here I though it was actual gold, to pay for the upkeep of the other gifts.

At this point, you have accumulated five pear trees, thirty of various birds, not counting alleged pheasants, and five gold rings, which may allegedly also be birds.

8 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

And here I though it was actual gold, to pay for the upkeep of the other gifts.

At this point, you have accumulated five pear trees, thirty of various birds, not counting alleged pheasants, and five gold rings, which may allegedly also be birds.

Yeah I'm not keeping track of what you have gotten before because it's about to get weird as to options.

Have a great Geese a laying day, unless it's Ducks for you, in which case, Happy Ducks a laying day!  At any rate have some water fowl laying eggs today!

42 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Have a great Geese a laying day, unless it's Ducks for you, in which case, Happy Ducks a laying day!  At any rate have some water fowl laying eggs today!

'Getting a goose egg' is an idiom for a zero score, or for the lump from a blow to the head. On the other hand, actual goose eggs are good to eat (read several articles to get a feel for health related trade offs vs chicken eggs).

When looking that up, I found that Canadian Geese can be eaten, if you are willing to do much prep work. This is more positive than what I've heard in the past.

Domestic geese would be tastier.

45 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Hmm, where and in what season is it legal to hunt Canada geese? I doubt I could simply throw a net over one of the ones wandering about my town.

Well, that is a good question, and I think the answer is that in the US, they are protected by a migratory birds act that was passed many years ago, I'm thinking in the 1930s. If that is the case, you can hunt them for a season, probably varies by state, but you would need a migratory waterfowl stamp (on your license?) and they have a cost. Given that there would still be a limit, it would probably amount to a fairly expensive hunk of meat. I don't know where you get them, but I don't think it would be difficult to find out.

Going to take a guess that the US act is a result of a treaty with Canada, and Canada is likely to have something similar. I doubt if anyone at the other end of their migration was consulted.

The irony is that they are no longer migratory in many locations, they are numerous in those places, and they are a nuisance. We had one choose to nest in a busy parking lot near work, then it became aggressive when folks walked to their cars. The security personnel eventually removed the nest. They put guard geese out when the herd crosses a road, like bison do, and it's silly as #$%&, but you probably don't want to hit one, they seem to weigh enough to leave some damage. Around here, there is a minor industry dedicated to making fake owls and other critters to scare them off. So, it's probably illegal to just hunt them, but nobody would miss them and some folks would thank you.

Not sure how much the non-migratory status of the local birds affects the gaminess of the meat, but per the linked article, it should improve it.

Have a wonderful Swans a swimming day.  Unless you have Squabs swimming,  Not sure what  to say about that, but have a great day with the swimming birds regardless.

Do squabs swim?

We are at seven pear trees, sixty nine birds, and fifteen gold rings which may be birds.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
fix math error

Have a happy maids-a-milking day! If you don't want maids, your true love can also gift you with:

Hares a running
Ladies dancing
Hounds a running
or Boys a-singing

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Have a happy maids-a-milking day! If you don't want maids, your true love can also gift you with:

Hares a running
Ladies dancing
Hounds a running
or Boys a-singing

This is where it gets odd, gifting what are presumably employees. How much time is covered?

Happy Ladies Dancing day!

If you don't want dancing ladies, you can have:
Drummers drumming
Lords a leaping
Lambs a-bleating
Bulls a-roaring
Pipers playing
or Bears a beating

Happy Lords a leaping Day!  Other options:
Pipers piping
Ships a sailing
Ladies dancing
Men a-mowing
Cocks a crowing
Drummers drumming and 
Asses racing.
Day 10 of Christmas has something for every one!

Happy Pipers piping day!  Other options include:
Ladies dancing
Bears a baiting
Ladies spinning
Badgers baiting
Lords a-leading
Dancers a-dancing
Lads a-louping
Bulls a-beating

It's the 12th day of Christmas, or Drummers drumming day. Other possible gifts for today are

Lords a leaping
Bulls a roaring
Bells ringing
Fiddlers a-fiddling
Ladies a dancing

Take down your Christmas tree today!