• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Edge of Imperial Space

I've been working on this TTRPG rules for several years now.  I stopped about a year ago due to hitting a wall on vehicle design rules.  

I looked into the Edge of Imperial Space rules files. I need to do a lot of work on it, beyond the vehicle rules. Need to fix the hot mess that is beast/monster/aliens creation rules. Need to decide on psionics. Need to create an character class for those characters that don't qualify for any other class. Need to create non combat "modern" classes. Need to write more/better examples of play. Need to decide if the "Terran Campaign" is the default or just one of the possible options. Hopefully in the next month or so I'll be ready for play testers/beta readers.

No, Project X is a set of rules for modern warfare.  Depending on which version it is modern means post 1914 or post 1970.  I've been working on it longer than I have been working on Edge.  I've been messing around with Project X more or less my whole adult life.

I've been off of working on it for almost exactly a year and I'm having a hard time remembering what I had in mind for some aspects.  For example, I have no less than 3 creation systems for beasts/monster/aliens that I need to streamline into 1.  Plus a hot mess of vehicle design stuff.  And some major holes in some aspects of character design.   I think I'm gonna work on the "core rules" before I dive off into design systems as that needs the least work.    With any luck at all I should be looking for play testers/beta readers in 6-8 weeks.

I have a complete beta subsector, complete with beast encounters for damn near every possible biome, plot hooks and general information about the system.  I have no memory of creating this.  This bothers me a lot.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Not sure if this is helpful, and you are probably aware of it; GURPS had a book dedicated to vehicle design.

Cepheus engine, which is based on Mongoose Traveller, which is the more or less core set of rules for Edge has not one but 2 separate systems for designing vehicles. They both have issues with armored vehicles, which is what I was working on when I stopped.

I've decided that the "generic" class that has no qualification requirements will be called 'Every Soul".  I've also decided that they deal well with "weirdness" and have pluses to their saves vs sanity draining attacks and events.  This does mean that I need to make sure that sanity draining attacks and/or event as at least semi-common in the game.

To make my life a little easier, I've decided that I'm not going to have aliens as such, just beasts and monsters.  There are still several humanoid species as well as "human kin".  Beasts and monsters differ only in that a monster will have some ability that a normal beast will not.  Could be that it's undead, or has a breath weapon or other extra normal abilities.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So you're adding "Real World" politics?

No kidding, some of them cause sanity checks every time they open their mouth.

7 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So you're adding "Real World" politics?

No kidding, some of them cause sanity checks every time they open their mouth.

I'm avoiding real world politics as much as possible.  Given that the game is set "in the far future" as a generic setting or early 22th century in the "Terran Campaign", that is fairly easy.  On the other hand, I might want to look at "public figure" as a possible career.  Need to think on this.