• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

New Laptop Thread

If things go as planned, Mrs. Prof. will be purchasing a new laptop for herself about now:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/649163/acer-aspire-5-a515-57-52yq-156-laptop-computer-gray

She does not need a huge multimedia machine. She just needs something she can use to do spreadsheets, communicate, and watch streaming content. Please tell me I haven't steered her wrong.

Personally, I’d open up the back when you get it and see if it has a free RAM slot and if so, buy an additional 8GB module, but I’m the sort who bristles at having low RAM.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Personally, I’d open up the back when you get it and see if it has a free RAM slot and if so, buy an additional 8GB module, but I’m the sort who bristles at having low RAM.

It's got a free RAM slot. I'm wily in my pricing ways. :)

Good, because sometime in between now and when you replace this laptop, you may find that you need the extra RAM. The last computer I bought that did not either come with or get subsequently upgraded to at least 16GB was in 2010.

If you stay away from Chromebooks and stuff obviously packaged for little kids, I think it would be difficult to buy a new laptop that is not at least adequate for those needs.

The difference between adequate and excellent will probably be in two parts: fan noise, and the display's color quality.

She took it back in the bedroom and used it to stream YouTube TV last night. It worked for her, so goal achieved there.

The primary reason for buying it was to keep her from borrowing my highly-customized Intel i9 laptop (and potentially screwing it up) for streaming YouTube TV at a watch party this coming Sunday. She'd need to hook it up to some dongle in order to connect to the venue's video screen. Said dongle would install a driver onto the system for connectivity's sake (yeah, not on my laptop, hence she gets her own).

And FYI, she did have an old ChromeBook - one that was so old, it was no longer being updated anymore. It was due to be put out to pasture anyway, and it was incompatible with the dongle's software.

(FWIW, the watch party is for "Dirty Jobs." Mike Rowe came down to Garland and highlighted the feral cat Trap-Neuter-Return program here in the city, and Mrs. Prof. (Brenda Jackson) is going to be on the show. It's at 8pm EDT / 7pm CDT Sunday the 18th on the Discovery Channel. I won't be there for various and sundry (health and computer) reasons.)

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Software installed in order to watch Mike Rowe? And it’s not being called Mike Rowe  Soft? Madness.

That even ties in with Dirty Jobs, referring to Windows.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

/me adds a star and and an underline.

Like this:  *  ? Seems lame. Maybe shoot an arrow through it  <-----*----<< ?

Shame there is no Unicode for an elder sign.

6 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Why does that look like a corrupted Star Fleet sign for the original Enterprise crew?

Who knows. Maybe Roddenberry knew something about space...  Like there was a color...