• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Friday, Jan 6, 2023

Comic for Friday, Jan 6, 2023

Diane lights up when she is surprised by information. She is easily surprised.

She is, however, good at math and / or English. She is aware that 'very' is not a number. 

Noah is more empathetic with Pandora's (apparently) vengeful decision. She may have saved the world. He has a point. If COVID patient zero had been isolated and killed in a manner that prevented the successful spread of the disease, millions would have been saved. Harsh, but true. So, keep the zombie apocalypse in mind the next time you run into a COVID denier ...

'Apparently' because for the most part, immortals in EGS seem fairly callous about human affairs. But that's not always true, and Pandora has shown some capacity for compassion, so maybe she figured out that it needed to be done.

I'm guessing that Abraham was about the most qualified person to try to remove the werewolf curse (given that he partially succeeded, and his current facility with spells), and his failure actually characterizes the difficulty.

I do believe Diane is coming to appreciate her biological father. But his disagreement with Pandora might be a discussion point; it highlights a larger issue, he does not trust her to do the right thing, circling back to her callousness.

There aren't any real surprises in this comic, but it is moving the story forward nicely.

I'm sorta impressed by Diane in her being some what questionable about "was that.. wrong?" question.  Like she can see the problem with killing off a large number of people, but isn't sure if the curse can be removed.

36 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I'm sorta impressed by Diane in her being some what questionable about "was that.. wrong?" question.  Like she can see the problem with killing off a large number of people, but isn't sure if the curse can be removed.

My impression was that she did not come up with that on her own. She was too startled by the factual artifacts to be reasoning beyond her normal deductive savvy about the morality of the situation. She must have had other cues, perhaps Noah's tone when he talked about it. (Of course, there's always the 'plot convenience' rationale.) I wouldn't call Diane shallow at this point in the story, but she's still not deep and empathetic, more like approaching normal.

I'm pretty sure once it came up, she had no trouble grasping what the werewolf curse implied. She is quick.

As far as the curse itself, we have too little information. Tantalizing information. Is it a blend biological disease with magical enhancement? Would finding and removing the source of the curse have been effective? (You'd think Pandora could have done a bit of research about that.) Perhaps convincing the person that caused it to undo it?

Early appearance of Abraham had a backstory that referred to him as a fool for screwing up the cure. This implies there were others more qualified than he was. In that case, they are the fools for doing nothing; he at least made an attempt to stem the curse. I wonder if Dan is going to backpedal this.

... this kind of points to maybe Abraham was the original source of the curse ... all of the effort and self sacrifice of being in stone and such might be out of a sense of duty to clean up his own mess ... I need to reread that stuff.

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

. this kind of points to maybe Abraham was the original source of the curse ... all of the effort and self sacrifice of being in stone and such might be out of a sense of duty to clean up his own mess ...

Well, he did have a sense of duty to kill what ever was created by the diamond. 

No evidence that Abraham was the source of the curse. His master was bitten by a werewolf and thus became one; apprentice Abraham made the Diamond in an attempt to save the master - but failed, in the sense that when the Diamond split the master into a full-time human and a full-time werewolf, the werewolf promptly attacked and killed the human.

I don't recall anything suggesting that the werewolf who killed Blaike was, or wasn't, one of the werewolves in Abraham's origin story.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Well, he did have a sense of duty to kill what ever was created by the diamond. 

Which was based badly on his experience with what it created. Being a statue for hundreds of years can do that too you, put you out of touch with what is going on around you. I dare say even someone more recent, such as our founding fathers or Abraham Lincoln, would misconstrue much of what they saw going on around them if they came out of one of their statues today. Lincoln, for example, might say "Damn, I'm tall!" if he came out of his seated statue in his memorial, but he would totally miss his opportunity to be a star basketball player, at least initially.

Actually, I agree with Noah about the dangers of a werewolf apocalypse, having seen Dog Soldiers. Seeing an entire platoon of elite soldiers getting slaughtered by a pack of werewolves made me realize that I'd rather deal with a pack of zombies than a single werewolf.