• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Wednesday, Jan 11, 2023

Comic for Wednesday, Jan 11, 2023

Diane has interesting eyes. In the first panel, the iris an pupil have reappeared, but the eyeball has grown larger, requiring a larger socket. Unless they've flattened front to back, they are shoving deep into her head. In the last panel, they have returned to a normal size, but the sclera is now black, and the iris and pupil are white. She must be functionally blind at that point. Diane says her brain is processing all the information, but I think it is healing the damage from the first panel. So, she's a shapeshifter, but still on the learning curve.

Arguably, none of that happened, it's just a way of expressing her surprise. Mmm, I suppose it's effective. She always seemed to be more in control of herself until recently.

I think there are slightly more than two panels. The middle cloud thing, "Ellen is a cursed duplicate of Elliot created by the Dewitchery Diamond", is intended to be read after you take in Diane's reaction in the panel; I even had to scroll down a bit to see it all. There is a mental pause between the main panel and the text cloud, so it's being used as a second panel, of sorts. Dan might call it a three panel comic today.

Noah, your furniture is on fire. Is whatever is happening in the background of the first panel what set the fires? Neither Noah nor Diane seem particularly concerned about this. I would be quite concerned, but I live in a different universe.

So Diane is in the loop for the history of Ellen.  Last of the main cast members to get there.  Granted Ashley was just sorta told by Magus.  Next question is if she is going to share this info with Noah or not. 

"

30 minutes ago, mlooney said:

So Diane is in the loop for the history of Ellen.  Last of the main cast members to get there.  Granted Ashley was just sorta told by Magus.  Next question is if she is going to share this info with Noah or not. 

Need to know" gets a little tricky here. Sharing that secret with someone who hates secrets...

More like a decent respect for Ellen's privacy. Diane has just deduced an astonishing fact about someone she's just started to think of as a friend. Should she share this juicy piece of gossip with a step-brother she barely knows?

Edited by Amiable Dorsai
word choice

1 hour ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

More like a decent respect for Ellen's privacy. Diane has just deduced an astonishing fact about someone she's just started to think of as a friend. Should she share this juicy piece of gossip with a step-brother she barely knows?

Level of trust is not a straight forward time calculation. Indeed, knowing someone may convince you they cannot be trusted. Con men, or salesmen of any ilk, on the other hand, elicit trust quickly, when little or no trust is warranted.

Does she trust Noah? I think she senses he's being honest, which is a good foundation. He's leaving out details, not being fully candid, and she encouraged that, so there's an apparent barrier as well.

She probably won't bring it up unless she learns that he knows Elliot, then they might talk about mutual friends, and it could come out. Or she might explain why she was overwhelmed. Or, Noah might come close on his own,and she might fill in some details.

In any case, I think they've gotten beyond the 'stranger I just met' stage.

Side note, Noah is a pretty open guy, he bonded with Elliot quickly. He seemed really skittish around Grace, though.

23 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

She probably won't bring it up unless she learns that he knows Elliot, then they might talk about mutual friends, and it could come out. Or she might explain why she was overwhelmed.

Which could just be "I think I know who it is."

And then Noah could run through all the people that he is aware she knows... which may or may not include Ellen...

50 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

And then Noah could run through all the people that he is aware she knows... which may or may not include Ellen...

Which isn't exactly a violation of trust, I suppose, but It's a big deal, nonetheless. Not that Diane knows it, but Noah has to be aware that something is going magically with Elliot. Which could lead Noah to a few interesting deductions of his own. This could open several cans of worms that have been festering for some time, now.

5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Hmm. Elliot meets with Noah alone. Noah's had discussions with Adrian about Elliot, mentioning that he could keep up running, did not mention Elliot having magic. Noah is not, at this point, indicated to be the biological offspring of an immortal, so quite possibly he can't detect magic on his own.

He goes to the same school as Ellen and Grace, and Justin and Nanase and Diane for that matter, but has not seemed to be much aware of them until plot demanded it. His girlfriend, Melissa, talked to him about outing Justin, and he knew who Justin was. Ellen knew who he was in the hallway, so he might know who he is, although he stands out in the crowd more. He might have noticed the resemblance to Elliot as well.

Oh, Noah can fly. This is much like Grace, I don't think it's ever been mentioned why they can fly. Uryuoms don't fly unaided, as far as we know.

Here's his reactions to Grace. And the name 'Shade Tail'. Here's confirmation that he has been with Adrian Raven for a while (last panel).

Lol, Noah is describing being terrified of what Pandora does (without knowing it's her).

Noah has figured out who Grace is.

Justin knew the black mage tonfa guy was Noah. Confirmed later.

Noah nor Melissa seem to know that Elliot is Cheerleadra. Elliot does not seem to know Noah has a superhero form. Ellen seems to know what Elliot knows, more or less, presumably from evening discussions. Justin knows both, and has not shared either, apparently. He probably would, if he thought there was a reason too, but I think he wants to not let Tedd's dad know too much. Everyone seems to know about grace, except Melissa.

Diane knows Elliot is Cheerleadra, and she's seen Grace's Shade Tail form, and knows Grace can transform herself. She should have figured out by now that Grace is not just some home schooled kid; maybe that's coming soon.

Edward bringing Lavender home might be significant to Noah. This would be part of his being included in the gang, but might lead to tension between Adrian and Edward. Now I want more backstory about what happened between them. 

6 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

... Noah has to be aware that something is going magically with Elliot. ...

He does not seem to be aware. Adrian seemed to see more significance in Elliot keeping up with Noah than Noah did.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

He does not seem to be aware. Adrian seemed to see more significance in Elliot keeping up with Noah than Noah did.

He has probably figured that there is something odd about someone who can keep up with him, and once he learns that Ellen has magic and her origin story it's not too hard to fill in the blanks.

54 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I agree, if he learns Ellen's origin, he should begin figuring Elliot out. "Why was he even at the Dewitchery Diamond?"

Because someone had magically turned him female, obviously.

"Who?" and "Why?" and "When?" and "How?" - might remain unanswered questions (from Noah's perspective) for a while. Along with how Elliot learned of the Diamond's existence.

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Along with how Elliot learned of the Diamond's existence.

This does sorta bring up the question of how Grace knew about the Diwitcher Diamond as well.

Yes, why was information about the Diamond out on the open Web in the first place, given that DGB’s job was to suppress magical knowledge? At best, it should have been relegated to rumor mills such as Charlotte’s web forum. From a narrative perspective, it might have been better for Grace or Tedd to learn about it by going through Edward’s papers without permission—he apparently had a whole walk-in closet full of documents as seen in https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2002-03-19

30 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Yes, why was information about the Diamond out on the open Web in the first place, given that DGB’s job was to suppress magical knowledge? At best, it should have been relegated to rumor mills such as Charlotte’s web forum. From a narrative perspective, it might have been better for Grace or Tedd to learn about it by going through Edward’s papers without permission—he apparently had a whole walk-in closet full of documents as seen in https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2002-03-19

Not only walk in, but knee deep in papers.

37 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Yes, point being that it is much more plausible that information about the Diamond would be found there than in a web search by Grace.

There exists the possibility that DGB has their own website, reachable only from "trusted" browsers, and that Edwards house was counted as trusted, hence Grace being able to find it.  The US military has this sort of thing as it stands now.  Of course the military version only goes to "For Official Use Only", the very bottom level of classified information.

Before the magic not-change, items in that Government werehouse had been dismissed as low-powered or inoperative.  It was intentionally set up as a trap to lure in people looking to steal magic items.  Info about everything in the inventory had, at some point, been deliberately leaked to fringe websites that were most certainly not poorly disguised pages set up and monitored by interns from any of the Alphabet Soup agencies

24 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Before the magic not-change, items in that Government werehouse had been dismissed as low-powered or inoperative.  It was intentionally set up as a trap to lure in people looking to steal magic items.  Info about everything in the inventory had, at some point, been deliberately leaked to fringe websites that were most certainly not poorly disguised pages set up and monitored by interns from any of the Alphabet Soup agencies

Good point.  Does leave open why something like the Diamond was there.  Must not have had many people under enchantments/curses in recent times.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:13 AM, ijuin said:

Yes, why was information about the Diamond out on the open Web in the first place, given that DGB’s job was to suppress magical knowledge?

Easy, Pandora put it there for Grace to find.

10 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So who is the greater agent of chaos?  Pandora or the federal government?

Pandora guided and enabled the founding fathers, so both.