• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Monday, Jan 16, 2023

Comic for Monday, Jan 16, 2023

Adrian looks angry (at Abraham?) or possibly determined. He should ether get over the school events or recuse himself; a tactical unit cannot function with that level of discord.

I think that's the first time we've seen the trainee. I guess Dan had her facing the other way to highlight the multi-color pony tail.

I like the hat to hide the ears. I recall Spock doing that same trick when they went back in time to pre-contact Earth, in the whale movie, the City on the Edge of Forever episode of TOS, of both.

Adrian must have been in Colorado when Wolf and Arthur were discussing the wands misfiring; he would as Abraham's contemporary likely know how to cast spells without wands as well, indeed he did with his lockdown in the school and with the murder of crows spell.

Glad Abraham upgraded to more or less normal.

I would have bet that the trainee wasn't Vladia.  Once it was made clear that Adrian had left the school, it was pretty obvious that he was in Colorado with Wolf.

I had assumed that the trainee was a new person, because that what The Dan did.  I know they have said that they were working on not creating a new character on the drop of a hat, but I assumed that a leopard couldn't change its spots.

Vladia is rather conspicuously wearing a skirt over tights as her chosen work clothes. This suggests that Vladia has internalized a feminine self-image to at least the same degree as Elliot, feeling that it is appropriate to wear feminine clothes when presenting as female, regardless of it being a non-native form. Or, as Elliot put it, “I’m wearing a skirt, and I have boobs. I’m not going to start worrying about my manly image NOW.”

It has been a L  O  N  G time since we have seen Vladia. The prelude to Grace's party, if i recall.  

What is Vladia's job on the team?  Her sonic attack & most other abilities are only available in monster form.  Shapeshifting may be available, but she is unlikely to use it.  Transforming was painful, possibly fatal, & could leave her unable to resume her human form.   Without a traditional education background, did she have enough time to train up to rookie investigator status?

It's exiting to finally see one of Grace's siblings again. I know Dan has a lot of characters to juggle, but for characters who were once so important to the story, and who remain important to Grace, it's bugged me for a while that we've gone so long without seeing them (well over a decade and a half at this point!).

I wonder how much we'll actually see of Vladia in this story, and whether this is a sign we may actually have Grace interacting with them again before we hit the two decade mark...

56 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Vladia is rather conspicuously wearing a skirt over tights as her chosen work clothes. This suggests that Vladia has internalized a feminine self-image to at least the same degree as Elliot, feeling that it is appropriate to wear feminine clothes when presenting as female, regardless of it being a non-native form. Or, as Elliot put it, “I’m wearing a skirt, and I have boobs. I’m not going to start worrying about my manly image NOW.”

Vladia talked a little bit about her views of her female-human form at the end of Painted Black and when Grace talked with her on Grace's birthday. The first time, she said that as far as she was concerned she had never been a man, merely a monster. The second time she said she was happy with her current form. Based on this, I believe Vladia is the sort of person without a strong sense of an internal gender identity, and since she had never experienced what it was like to be a human male, slipping into the role of a human female was relatively easy for her.

11 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

What is Vladia's job on the team?  Her sonic attack & most other abilities are only available in monster form.  Shapeshifting may be available, but she is unlikely to use it.  Transforming was painful, possibly fatal, & could leave her unable to resume her human form.   Without a traditional education background, did she have enough time to train up to rookie investigator status?

Well, according to the final recap link in the commentary, the "trainee" has "a talent for detecting people who are using concealment magic". Of course this raises the question of where she gets that power. I suspect that since we last saw her she's been learning magic. Alternately, perhaps despite not appearing on her face her antennae have not been completely suppressed (maybe they were just moved to the back of her head?), and she still has the senses they provide.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Without a traditional education background, did she have enough time to train up to rookie investigator status?

Who knows what she was taught in the lab before Damien showed up, her education could be pretty good. Besides, her unique abililitiesmay make up for whatever deficiencies she may have, otherwise.

2 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Who knows what she was taught in the lab before Damien showed up, her education could be pretty good. Besides, her unique abililities may make up for whatever deficiencies she may have, otherwise.

We have never seen any criteria for what the magic investigators need in terms of education. Abraham has been a statue through several modern eras, and is able to cope, based on his skill, he is contributing.

Besides, adult learning can be far more effective than the 12 year process of public school, if the student is motivated, which is typically the case. I've seen good arguments that starting kids even a bit later, typically eight years old, may benefit them. The 'benefit' of earlier is allegedly socialization, but if you recall your early school years, being 'socialized' in public school is not generally a positive experience. Seems again, the delay and a bit more maturity could be beneficial.

7 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Who knows what she was taught in the lab before Damien showed up, her education could be pretty good.

If the state of Grace’s education is indicative, their education was heavy on math and physical/biological sciences, and light on social sciences, history, arts, and literature—Grace was taught so little history that she had never heard of WWII, an event that would have happened during the childhoods of some of the older people at the lab, such as her “grandfather”.

8 hours ago, ijuin said:
16 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Who knows what she was taught in the lab before Damien showed up, her education could be pretty good.

If the state of Grace’s education is indicative, their education was heavy on math and physical/biological sciences, and light on social sciences, history, arts, and literature

Also, I suspect weapon use.  They were supposed to be assassins and,other than Vlad, didn't really have that good of combat skills.