• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

NP Comic for Tuesday, Jan 24, 2023

5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Just don't forget that a sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.

I've always heard that as sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology.  

If Magic has consistent rules, then it is subject to the Scientific Method. Magic in the EGS universe changes the rules whenever somebody gets to analyzing it, so it is about as far from that as is possible without being unreliability chaotic.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

I've always heard that as sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from technology.  

That is Clarke's original quote. I believe it is being inverted to make a point.

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

If Magic has consistent rules, then it is subject to the Scientific Method. Magic in the EGS universe changes the rules whenever somebody gets to analyzing it, so it is about as far from that as is possible without being unreliability chaotic.

EGS magic is stable enough that it can be analyzed most of the time; it does not change that often. When it does, it breaks the analyses, and they have to be re-examined, which they are now doing in the current arc.

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

That is Clarke's original quote. I believe it is being inverted to make a point.

Clarke's Third Law is " Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. "

The quote mloony gave is a more recent counterpart to it - and it makes a similar sort of sense.

Don Edwards' inversion of Clarke's Law, on the other hand, is just silly (unless one is going with a very specific meaning of "advanced").

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science"  Girl Genius

https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20081205

Clarke's is older. The rest are derived from it.

9 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Clarke's Third Law is " Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. "

The quote mloony gave is a more recent counterpart to it - and it makes a similar sort of sense.

Don Edwards' inversion of Clarke's Law, on the other hand, is just silly (unless one is going with a very specific meaning of "advanced").

Can mine be Fluffy's Law, or did someone else say it already? ("Sufficiently advanced fiction is indistinguishable from reality.")

We'd have to go to the political topic if you want to discuss why this makes sense.