• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Comic for Wednesday, Jan 25, 2023

Arrgh! I should have hit 'post' quicker.

Noah makes a good point, crying out to the heavens is quite the social cue.

Diane seems to have clarified her feelings to herself as much as to Noah. And, thankfully, to us. Maybe this will forestall further psychotic episodes.

I am not familiar with the term 'GLURK', although I believe I've seen it before. It sounds foreign, German maybe; "Du hast ein glurk". It is not onomatopoeia, humans do not produce that sound as a normal reaction to events. Hmm, the Urban Dictionary defines 'Glurk' as 'eating with one's mouth open'. Oops, that's what Google showed, but the actual article says, 'lurking in the darkness at a gay club, watching the dancers'. I don't think either applies here.

The font it is rendered in is interesting. It does not quite look hand draw just for this comic, but it may be.

If I ever create a work of fiction, I think I'm going to throw in made up words. It seems to correlate with the work having some success.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I am not familiar with the term 'GLURK', although I believe I've seen it before. It sounds foreign, German maybe; "Du hast ein glurk". It is not onomatopoeia, humans do not produce that sound as a normal reaction to events. Hmm, the Urban Dictionary defines 'Glurk' as 'eating with one's mouth open'. Oops, that's what Google showed, but the actual article says, 'lurking in the darkness at a gay club, watching the dancers'. I don't think either applies here.

“Glurk” is an interjection similar to “gulp” or “gack”, reflecting someone who has been caught in a deception or other awkward or unfortunate situation. It has connotations of “oh crap, I’m in trouble now”.

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I am not familiar with the term 'GLURK', although I believe I've seen it before. It sounds foreign, German maybe; "Du hast ein glurk". It is not onomatopoeia, humans do not produce that sound as a normal reaction to events.

I always figured it was an onomatopoeia for a loud gulp.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

I just assumed it was an mild expletive, like "za".

I did as well, but it is enough of an outlier to warrant a snarky commentary. For one thing, it sounds like a glottal choking noise, and that did not appear to be happening. German for 'luck' is 'gluck', so 'it looks like a German word' works. "Habt zie zwei glucken, bitte?"

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Not unlike my confused dealings with Emperor Norton.

Do tell. He died more than 140 years ago; I'd love to hear your story.

22 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Not unlike my confused dealings with Emperor Norton.

16 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Joshua Abraham Norton (February 4, 1818 – January 8, 1880)

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Are you sure?

That may explain why he has not responded recently.

Emperor Norton (Wiki article)

This seems to be a common misconception. I asked a friend who'd lived in San Francisco for several years, and I remembered he'd talked about Emperor Norton, "Have you ever met him?" His response was, "No, but I've talked with people who have." - I think the stories get embellished, exaggerated, or misconstrued. I told him that Emperor Norton died in 1880, and he was surprised.

His odd existence and exploits are well known and documented, with memorials around the city. I imagine the locals grow up knowing the full story, then as then get older, speak of it in a shorthand manner that makes it sound to an outsider that it was recent.

It would only take 2 or 3 generations of people knowing the story.  Grandfather tells grandson, who tells his grandson.  Makes it family history and thus more recent.

20 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Any Pharaoh is going to thousands of years old by now. I'm sure His Majesty has met any number of interesting people.

Well, a Pharaoh is going to spend some time in their tomb, so they might not get to meet that many people until the tomb is opened, releasing the mummy and the curse.