• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

NP Comic for Saturday, Feb 4, 2023

So clues regarding the potential enemy have been discovered along with an associated treasure.

The theif one would expect to pocket the baubles, the spellcaster who admits she is there for easy money & the warior who needs to learn what he can about the potential enemies would prefer to discuss monsters in general rather than deal with the particulars in front of them.

I guess they all have the primary character class of Philosopher.

Not to be "that guy" but the description of goblins here is more what kobolds are in D&D 5e.  Of course explaining what a kobold is to a non gaming audience might be more trouble that "goblin"

What a kobold is has not even been consistent over the lifespan of D&D. They have stabilized to a nice niche circa 3rd ed, it seems stable.

If you look up early kobold minis, you can find remnants of previous incarnations.

10 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Or explaining what kobolds are in D&D 5E to people who know what they are in non-D&D northern-European mythology.

Yeah, kobold is just German for goblin or hobgoblin, as a mine dwelling creature.

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

What a kobold is has not even been consistent over the lifespan of D&D. They have stabilized to a nice niche circa 3rd ed, it seems stable.

If you look up early kobold minis, you can find remnants of previous incarnations.

Kobolds started to be what they currently are in 2nd ed AD&D.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Dragon heritage in 2 ed? I don't recall it that early; you could be right.

According to the "Monstrous Manual" for 2nd ed, they have scales, tails, and horns.  Their tendency towards traps is given in their combat section.  No actual mention of them having a dragon heritage.  The 1st ed Monster Manual mentions the scales, tails and horns, but doesn't mention the trap making.  

On 2/5/2023 at 6:01 AM, mlooney said:

Yeah, kobold is just German for goblin or hobgoblin, as a mine dwelling creature.

As I recall it their myth came into being due to the presence of cobalt in mines. Since cobalt at the time had no practical use, miners found its presence extremely annoying and created the myth of mine dwelling troublemakers who left cobalt around solely to make the life of miners harder. Hence 'kobolds'.