• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Monday, Feb 6, 2023

Comic for Monday, Feb 6, 2023

A comic about what's for dinner. Diane, do your folks know where you are?

In the EGS universe, pupils contract and dialate much more easily than they do in our universe.

Diane speaks the Black Speech, so her adoptive family has roots in Mordor?

Now we learn that she can allegedly cook, which does not seem to be a thing that fits her prior persona. Who knew? Cheerleading is a fairly time consuming activity, and, if I understand correctly, it's pretty much all school year, not just football season. Being formerly self absorbed, it's odd that she takes pride in her cooking skills.

The text has some commentary about being vegetarian. It hits the high notes, but I'm pretty sure the comment about getting all the necessary amino acids from potatoes is wrong. Meat, on the other hand, generally has all the necessary amino acids. Meat can have other issues, like not enough fat in a survival situation, which can lead to protein poisoning. Not something you typically worry about. However, if you are ever lost in a forest, eat the beavers. The rabbits are easier to trap, but they are too lean. (A stick of butter is a good survival item for this reason). Bears also have plenty of fat, but are best avoided.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

If she’s serious about being vegan

She's not vegetarian, much less vegan.  Actually I don't think any of the characters are vegetarian.  We know that Grace isn't but no one seems to be the type.

5 minutes ago, AFNB said:

"I consume a lot of protein." (dramatic, ominous shading)

Probably like Nanase—eats big meals due to using calories to regenerate magical energy stores.

20 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

What I know of essential proteins I learned through Good Eats. 

I'm not going to speculate on the specifics, but if Noah isn't fully human, his nutritional needs may be different.

Never thought about that.  I wonder if that effects Grace's nutritional needs

The squirrel part of her heritage might lead her to need more squirrel-like food such as nuts. If the Uryuom part of her needed nutrients that a typical American human diet did not provide, then Edward would have been aware of her need for extra supplements.

Squirrel heritage is probably not a big problem. Most people don't realize it, but squirrels are omnivores and predators. Kind of like humans. Their normal diet is mostly high-protein things you find in trees: seeds, nuts, bugs, lizards, eggs, baby birds...

1 minute ago, Don Edwards said:

squirrels are omnivores and predators

Only slightly.  According to "sources I found after a Google" they only have about 2% of their diet be animal based.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Hmm.  Looked it up.  Looks like acorns are an important part of a squirrel's diet.

Humans can eat properly treated acorns. They have been a staple in some indigenous diets. The tannin has to be leached out over several washings, then they are good to eat. Can be ground into a flour (still have to leach out the tannin).

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Humans can eat properly treated acorns.

Acorns taste nasty (and yeah, I know from personal experience) unless you remove the tannin

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Noah, and others with similar digestive needs, may be the reason pineapple exists on pizza.

Or that pineapple actually taste good on pizza.  I don't get why it gets all the hate it does.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Or that pineapple actually taste good on pizza.  I don't get why it gets all the hate it does.

I've had 'Hawaiian' ham and pineapple pizza. It did not meet may 'savory pizza flavor' expectations, but it was edible. I did not go back for seconds. I would not turn my nose up at pineapple pizza if I was starving.

A little bit of 'sweet' on a meat course seems to work, but it is easily overdone. Think of barbecue, most are a little sweet, but the really sweet sauces taste awful. I think the reaction to pineapple pizza is similar; individual pineapple pieces are a lump of sweetness. This is kind of a less is more thing.

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I think the reaction to pineapple pizza is similar; individual pineapple pieces are a lump of sweetness.

That's odd as I tend to think of pineapple as being sour, not sweet.  Actually it's own thing really.

I would tend to agree that it falls in the category of “a little is good, but a large amount is excessive”. It should add to the flavors, not dominate them.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

That's odd as I tend to think of pineapple as being sour, not sweet.  Actually it's own thing really.

It is both, and they vary with ripeness. Most fruit is acidic (sour) and has natural sugar content which increases with ripeness as starches break down. It is very noticeable with pineapple. I think the cooking may also enhance the sweetness.

That's fresh; canned has sugar added, light or heavy syrup.

I like pineapple on pizza, but I've only had pizzas where it was used relatively sparingly (just enough to add a little sweetness, and not necessarily in every bite if you take small bites). This discussion has me wondering if maybe a lot of people's bad experiences with pineapple pizza were instances where there was so much pineapple it dominated the flavor. It's sort of like raisins in raisin bran: a moderate amount provides a nice contrast of flavors, but too much and you just have dessert (and one that requires a high sugar tolerance, at that). (Of course I'm sure some of the people who don't like pineapple pizza just don't like pineapple in the first place.)

I suppose there's also the matter of whether you like the combination of savory+sweet.

Incidentally I've never had actual "Hawaiian" pizza with ham. I've only had it as the only topping, or alongside onions.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

All this talk of pizza is almost making me want to order a pizza for lunch.  Almost.

The grocery store near me has a pizza kiosk inside, near the bakery. The pizza is good. Occasionally, I get some, then I both love it and regret it. I think pizza requires a young person's metabolism.

12 minutes ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

I like pineapple, I like ham, I like pineapple with ham. Tomato sauce does not go well with them, to my taste.

I could be misremembering, but I do not recall pizza with ham and pineapple having tomato sauce. You've got me curious now what it does have.

Wiki says those three and cheese. And it's from Canada. And the originator was Greek. Who got the idea from Chinese food.

" Panopoulos chose the name Hawaiian after the brand of canned pineapple they were using at the time." Uhm, OK.

Oh, here's a news flash: " These additions were not initially very popular." Who knew?

"In the United States, some restaurants use barbecue sauce and pulled pork with pineapple and cheese ..." I've never seen that, but it does sound better than using tomato sauce. Pulled pork is a Carolinas thing, you'd think I could find that variation.