• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Friday, Feb 10, 2023

Comic for Friday, Feb 10, 2023

Abraham can sense direction, but it is an acute triangular swath. They are in Colorado. If their roads are analogous to ours, which they should be, they follow geographic features, they need to head to Albuquerque. That will give them a different perspective, and they should be able to locate Magus within a quadrilateral box. Of course, if he's moving, they may be searching for a long time.

I wonder why they don't just drive toward the 'signal'? Seems like the quickest way they would get closure.

Adrian is peeved at someone who recruited him, and is taking it out on Abraham. Abraham is trying to make sense of the modern world as best he can; all things considered, he seems to be doing remarkably well.

The last panel, Vladia's embarrassed face seems to indicate she is interested in Adrian Raven. Hmm, a bat and a Raven, ...

57 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Raven, in the meantime, is wondering how this idiot beat him.

Abraham is not an idiot. He's adapted well to a world he doesn't understand, but he does not intuitively grasp the obvious modern solutions, they are too alien to his world view. He's coming along; I'd give him points for 'flexible adaptation'. I think I recall he cheated with a 'modern knowledge spell'' - which in turn left much up to interpretation. From his point of view, the 'magic map' is indeed magic, per the Clark's Law trope.

Realistically, Raven beat Abraham, then got careless. If they were out for blood, Abraham would have been dead. It was when Adrian hesitated that Abraham pulled his last desperate move. Adrian does seem to be nursing a grudge, though.

From what we've seen, Abraham is competent, but gets along with no one. He had a reputation as a fool. I suspect his issue is no interpersonal skills.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So our elite investigative team is playing "you're getting warmer" with a dowsing rod. 

This is like radio direction finding in WW II. Which also means it is a solved problem, just review what techniques were used. Triangulation is much of it, they've got to move the receiver around.

Could they do this from the air, with Abraham in a plane or helicopter? They would be able to close in quickly.

Secrecy might be paramount, to surprise Magus. Can he teleport?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Not sure what emotion Vladia is trying to express or hide here.

The face marks are blushing, no? That would be involuntary.

Vladia's appearance is changed. That suggests that she is taking an interest in how she looks, so she's embracing being a human woman.

Adrian is in his young elf guise; I think he appears to be roughly her age (and yes, we know he's actually hundreds of years old, but won't age (much?)).

I can see there being an attraction. This is her first time out of her very limited social group on her own and she's probably lonely.

"I was a sociopathic murder bat, but I got better."

24 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I can see there being an attraction. This is her first time out of her very limited social group on her own and she's probably lonely.

She might not be used to being praised and her blush has nothing to do with attraction.  

7 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

"I was a sociopathic murder bat, but I got better."

If Dan published books the way Willis does for Dumbing of Age, I'd suggest this for a title.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

She might not be used to being praised and her blush has nothing to do with attraction.  

Can't it be both?

12 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It's probably a mnemonic appendage. You know, "Fangs ... for the memories ..."

/me OK that worth at least a star on your page.

16 hours ago, Illjwamh said:
23 hours ago, mlooney said:

Can't it be both?

Yeah, it can, but right now I'm not shipping Vladia and Raven,

21 hours ago, ijuin said:
22 hours ago, mlooney said:

Still wondering about the fang.

It’s probably just a vestige of her “vampire bat” aspect.

She didn't show any fangs last time we saw her, way back in the start of "Grace's Birthday Party".

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Yeah, it can, but right now I'm not shipping Vladia and Raven,

Fair. I don't ship her with Raven specifically (or with anyone, necessarily); I'm just pro-anything that has the potential to make Vladia happy.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

/me *blink*  OK....  Have a star on your page and a notation "out of left field".

It was his theme. I don't think I've heard anyone else sing it.

21 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It was his theme. I don't think I've heard anyone else sing it.

I still don't get it and my google fu isn't working today. He is most remembered for "Thanks for the Memories"

48 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I still don't get it and my google fu isn't working today. He is most remembered for "Thanks for the Memories"

First comment: It's probably a mnemonic appendage. You know, "Fangs ... for the memories ..."

Second comment: They named him Bob because Hope Floats. (connecting Bob Hope to the song)

Explaining comment: It ("Thanks for the Memories") was his (Bob Hope's) theme. I don't think I've heard anyone else sing it.

I don't think you need Google. You've seen his shtick on TV. He was kind of a shticky guy, shallow on substance, deep and wide on gimmicks, at least in his public personna.

So, the history of the song, hmm, for one thing, it's 'Thanks for the Memory', singular, not plural, which strikes me as bad parsing; multiple memories are spoken of. I wonder if that is due to a drift in the English language, where memory was thought of collectively as one entity, and is now thought of as individual memories, perhaps due to the use of memory in computers, were individual items are stored and retrieved. In spite of our not working like computers, in our era people use how computers work as a framework to understand thought.

It was written for a 1938 movie, and refers to remembrances sung as a conversation between a divorced couple, played by Bob Hope and Shirley Ross. It is widely covered, and still finding traction this decade. The article cites spoof versions; I suspect that every version I've ever heard Bob Hope sing had alternate lyrics, as the film lyrics would likely not make sense out of context, and thus been at least technically a spoof version. I'd be curious to find out, my spend a few clock ticks researching this.

A sequel movie named 'Thanks for the Memory' did not feature the song 'Thanks for the Memory'. (But that says the song was popular enough at the time to lend the weight of the title for promotional purposes.)

The EGS VF5 beam version: 'Thanks for the Mammaries'

52 minutes ago, mlooney said:

OK, now I'm fully confused.  I got the Bob Hope bit, I just don't connect what I said to him.   Never mind, I'm not firing on all cylinders this morning.

It's all good. Hopefully the caffeine kicks in soon.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It's all good. Hopefully the caffeine kicks in soon.

Well, I'm currently on my back in bed trying to get over body aches due to weather front rolling in, so caffeine isn't in the cards for a while.