• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Monday, Feb 13, 2023

Comic for Monday, Feb 13, 2023

Diane is reacting negatively to Simpsons nerdiditiy? She looks like she is uncomfortable and trying to be polite. I can see why she  might find over-enthusiasm for obscure details annoying. She's made a new friend.

Noah's offer seems reasonable.

So, why is the phone heavier? Or is it? It could be the ability to contact Adrian is weighing on her (psychologically, not in a pun sense) and she is just more aware of her phone's presence.

10 hours ago, ijuin said:

I am mildly surprised that Noah did not also add his own number on Diane’s phone.

That is true, and did not get hers (although, they may have already done that of scene, although adding Adrian later argues against that). On the other hand, they go to the same school, and could find each other there.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

True, but “visiting someone’s house” is a degree of interaction more than sufficient to justify exchanging telephone number information.

I think you are right, they may have exchanged information earlier, and Adrian's phone number was just a follow up. Amiable Dorsai said the same thing earlier.

First, SImpsons trivia is, for some people, a modern religion and thus not to be taken lightly or with contempt. (Elizabeth Taylor.  Season 4, Episode 10.  3 December, 1992) 

Next, information is a form of energy and thus is equivalent to mass.  The actual difference of mass for the phone with the addition of Raven's number might only be measurable on the Plank scale, but Diane may be capable of detecting the difference.  

Additionally, Noah may be among the people who do not own or use mobile phones and thus the land line into Raven's house may be his only contact number. 

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Next, information is a form of energy and thus is equivalent to mass. 

I've read some stuff about 'information has (infinitesimal) weight, but I'm not buying it. There are too many variables and encodings. If I encrypt the data and then store it, it looks random. But I can retrieve the same information if I have the key. If I loose the encryption key, does the weight of the stored data change?

Information seems to be related to the inverse of entropy rather than being 'energy'; in fact 'information entropy' is used in coding and information theory. Error correcting codes rely on this.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The actual difference of mass for the phone with the addition of Raven's number might only be measurable on the Plank scale, but Diane may be capable of detecting the difference.

Not with her natural senses, not by orders of magnitude. It is difficult to imagine a situation where this capability would have occurred to any source of magic capabilities, in a very general sense, why would you care? The noise around you would be overwhelming.

Think about this, if you get a roll of coins at the bank, can you tell immediately by feel that it has the right number of coins, or is short one or over by one? I think unless you took the time to count them, you'd never know.