• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

One D&D

As it stands now WotC managed to drive a lot of customers off to competitors. I am certainly not going back to them after this demonstration.

There is an interesting tumblr thread about large corporations burning customers one time too many. I recommend it.

https://www.tumblr.com/anarchistmemecollective/708591879795736576/thymewayster-really-good-twitter-thread

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

As it stands now WotC managed to drive a lot of customers off to competitors.  . I am certainly not going back to them after this demonstration

Problem I have with that is my gaming group plays D&D, not Pathfinder or any other type of game. Another reason for sticking with D&D 5e is that one of our players is math challenged.  She has trouble with the limited amounts of math in 5e.  No way she would be able to play "Mathfinder" 

I'm holding off on swearing off of WotC until I see what the 2024 books are like and how they do the SRD for them. It wouldn't take much for me to drop then granted

On 2/26/2023 at 10:12 PM, mlooney said:

Problem I have with that is my gaming group plays D&D, not Pathfinder or any other type of game. Another reason for sticking with D&D 5e is that one of our players is math challenged.  She has trouble with the limited amounts of math in 5e.  No way she would be able to play "Mathfinder" 

I'm holding off on swearing off of WotC until I see what the 2024 books are like and how they do the SRD for them. It wouldn't take much for me to drop then granted

I absolutely respect that. Your reasons are valid. I am more fortunate in that I am less tied to game systems.

On 2/26/2023 at 0:47 PM, The Old Hack said:

As it stands now WotC managed to drive a lot of customers off to competitors. I am certainly not going back to them after this demonstration.

There is an interesting tumblr thread about large corporations burning customers one time too many. I recommend it.

https://www.tumblr.com/anarchistmemecollective/708591879795736576/thymewayster-really-good-twitter-thread

Blizzard did that to me, about six or seven years ago.

I had to add this after I read that article. The thermocline is a great analogy.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
add content

Back to the original post, I just re-read the drop and they more then slightly nurfed wild shape.  They made it where it's close to useless, at least as far as it's current use goes.  Among other things, it's not a big bag of hit points that the druid can access for combat, but uses the druid's hit points.  The guy I know that plays a druid is going to be upset about that.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Is Coyote an available Druid type?

They seem to have unlimited hit points.

No, not so much. 

The latest drop of the One D&D play test material has happen.  This covers Fighters, Barbarians, Sorcerers , Warlocks, and Wizards. As of now every class other than Monks has a test version. Added 11 new spells and some important changes in weapon uses by warrior class characters.  A weapon now has a "Mastery property, a special property that requires a feature to unlock."  Fighter start off with 3 mastery slots, barbarians with 2 and you can get one with a 4th level feat.  Warlocks have "normal" spell slots not the limited number of slots they used to have.  Still top out at 5th level, and any thing beyond that takes "Mystic Arcanum" to get spells of higher levels.  Warlocks seem to have had the most changes, but all the classes have major changes to them.  Hopefully I'll be able to get my group to play with the play test stuff soon.  No rules for Pinkerton agents however.  That might be in the next set of MtG cards, not in D&D, where we should get a "copyright and trademark lawyer" class.

On 4/27/2023 at 7:11 PM, mlooney said:

not in D&D, where we should get a "copyright and trademark lawyer" class.

Seems to me that Wizards and Hasbro themselves could benefit from a "how to not s*** ourselves in public advisor" class.

On 5/5/2023 at 9:22 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There are not enough people on Earth to act as experts in that field for the benifit of everyone else who needs them.

Yeah, your average "life coach" doesn't have the skills to tell their clients to not crap themselves in public. 

The next drop of One D&D has happened.  It's an expansion of the last drop, giving 7 classes 4 sub classes.  And adding in Monks for the first time.  The sorta fixed wild shape for Druids, but only for circle of the moon sub class.  They really are leaning heavily into the weapon mastery stuff, which I think is a good idea.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/ua/ph-playtest-6

On 6/30/2023 at 6:57 PM, mlooney said:

The next drop of One D&D has happened.  It's an expansion of the last drop, giving 7 classes 4 sub classes.  And adding in Monks for the first time.  The sorta fixed wild shape for Druids, but only for circle of the moon sub class.  They really are leaning heavily into the weapon mastery stuff, which I think is a good idea.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/ua/ph-playtest-6

I read 'One D&D' as 'One D&D to rule them all ...". Does this basically equate to D&D 6?

I'm thinking Hasbeen is hoping this causes all interest in other versions to cease, it's in the name. Good luck with that.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I read 'One D&D' as 'One D&D to rule them all ...". Does this basically equate to D&D 6?

I'm thinking Hasbeen is hoping this causes all interest in other versions to cease, it's in the name. Good luck with that.

No, they claim that the 2024 version of D&D will be backwards compatible with adventures written for 5.0.  I suspect it's going to be called 5.5 when it comes out, but it's not really going to be called 6.  So far it's just been tweaks to the system, not a wholesale change to the rules.

[To the tune of 'One Night in Bangkok']

Waterdeep, fantasy settingAnd the city don't know that the city is gettingThe creme de la creme of the D&D world In a show with everything but Vin Diesel

One D&D will make a hard man humbleNot much between despair and ecstasyOne D&D will make the tough guys tumbleCan't be too careful picking your partyI can feel Baatezu walking next to me...

There is a new one D&D out, and I suspect it's been out a while.  Biggest thing it has is "Bastions", which are old school strongholds, but have specific in game effects.  Adds in what amounts to crafting rules, and the ability to gain a magic item.   Plus give the players something to spend cash on.  I need to reread the rules, but on my general pass over, I approve of this.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/ua/bastions-and-cantrips

I just finished reading the latest "One D&D" release. Bastions seem like they could be fun, however they assume that the characters take multiple week down time between adventures. This isn't a bad thing, but does tend to slow down in game time. They have improved most of the cantrips. This release doesn't include a rules change, so I assume that the rules changes in the drop before this one are still in effect.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Why does this sound like an OS 'upgrade'?

It's an OS upgrade, not a full version number change.  At least so far.