• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Friday, Mar 24, 2023

Comic for Friday, Mar 24, 2023

"Change? Spare change?" - "Why, yes, indeed. I carry coins in my pocket not to spend, but to hand out; of course they are spare."

The commentary explains (to me,anyway) this odd hot mess of Susan melting down. Dan is relating an incident from his early childhood though the medium of his comic, and Susan is the sock puppet. Susan's reactions are actually those of a toddler, and actual toddler.

With that filter, it makes a bit more sense. In any case, I like how Sarah is the voice of reason and puts it all to bed. And I like the last panel, Susan is becoming more openly social.

My schools did not have shared lockers, either.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

In any case, I like how Sarah is the voice of reason and puts it all to bed. And I like the last panel, Susan is becoming more openly social.

Sarah is often the voice of reason, when she's not testing growth wands. 

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Sarah is often the voice of reason, when she's not testing growth wands. 

... she also introduced the hammers, not exactly a role of moderation. I suppose her role has been dissected and doled out to various others.

Shared lockers is a tactic sometimes used by schools anticipating a surge in the student body that will not continue long enough to justify expanding the facilities. 

Susan is often the voice of reason

Unfortunately, her extended situation is unreasonable

Shared lockers unfortunately also means shared liability, and where I live, at least (Silicon Valley), the parents would not tolerate the idea of their little darling getting blamed if their locker-mate is caught with drugs or other contraband.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

Shared lockers unfortunately also means shared liability, and where I live, at least (Silicon Valley), the parents would not tolerate the idea of their little darling getting blamed if their locker-mate is caught with drugs or other contraband.

From any enforcement point of view, it would be unreasonable to assume either locker user was the one of the two responsible without further evidence. Undoubtedly, many administrators placed in the position of deciding what to do would take the easy route and opt to punish both. They might even anticipate the issue and attempt to make each formally responsible for the other. While it would be lovely to observe the resulting lawsuits, you can rest assured that the incompetent overseeing such a system will never be the ones burned by the outcome. I do hope the parents would indeed step in before their children are entangled in this mess.

Key points to note:

Children are individuals, and are not responsible for each other's behavior. It is unreasonable to expect them to be. They do not have access to each other's home life to monitor it.

If contraband is found in a shared locker, "I didn't put it there" is adequate defense. The burden of proof is on the enforcer.

Hopefully, parents do indeed view their children as 'little darlings', not 'awful burdens' or whatever else you can come up with. Nor, of course, should they be naive, but they should indeed start from a place of trust, rather than suspicion. If a school administrator says, "We found drugs in your child's locker", and the child says, "They made me share a locker. I didn't put the drugs there.", hopefully, the parents' first response is, "What evidence do you have that my child put the drugs there?". Hopefully, someone is pleading the child's case, because the school sure as F#@K ain't going to do it.

The principal in my elementary school was a stern, grandfatherly old man who we rarely saw, but would speak at a few assemblies. There was a sense about him that he cared about the kids, though. I did not know how good he was until I went to junior high and high school, where the administration was vacuous. College was similar. Live and learn, I guess.