• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Pennsic 50

8 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I've registered for Pennsic 50.  Count down begins now.

Pennsic 49,

Pennsic 48,

Pennsic 47,

Of course it's technically Pennsic L, so the count down would be 

Pennsic XLIX

Pennsic XLVIII

Pennsic XLVII

But you get the idea.  It's a 128 days until we arrive at the troll. 

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I've registered for Pennsic 50.  Count down begins now.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Of course it's technically Pennsic L, so the count down would be 

Pennsic XLIX

Pennsic XLVIII

Pennsic XLVII

But you get the idea.  It's a 128 days until we arrive at the troll. 

Consistent style, please.

Is it always in Pennsylvania? OK, a quick search says it is, at Slippery Rock, Pa. There are a lot of slippery rocks in PA, now I need to see which one is the town. Near Pittsburg. Sure, why not?

This is cute: "The post office for Slippery Rock Township was established in 1826 in the Ginger Hill area. The town of Ginger Hill was incorporated as a borough under the name Centreville in 1841, later changing its name to Slippery Rock in 1896." 'Slippery Rock' is pretty much any wet rock. Standing alone, it does not tell you much. Centreville should be in the center of something. The town is near the western edge of PA. It is central, north/south within PA. It might be central to some local feature. Still, not very descriptive in any meaningful way. Then we come backward to the original name, Ginger Hill. I doubt they were growing actual ginger on a hill in west PA in 1826; it's not a native North American crop. Maybe they had a local plant they called Ginger. Maybe the hill had plants that looked like ginger colored hair, maybe in the sunrise or sunset. Maybe ginger haired people settled there; it was around the time of Irish folks coming to America.

I recall the name from state-wide High School football scores on the radio.

Do they roll up the street and night and lay it out the next morning?

Just for what it's worth the original Pennsic wars were fought over who got control of Pittsburgh.  The loser got it.  This has changed due to the fact that there is another kingdom between East and Middle now.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Do they roll up the street and night and lay it out the next morning?

I have no clue, we didn't leave the site. I can assure you that Pennsic doesn't roll up the streets!  

49 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Just for what it's worth the original Pennsic wars were fought over who got control of Pittsburgh.  The loser got it.

Having been to Pittsburg, I concur with this assessment.

From the Pennsic History page 

The origin of the Pennsic Wars: when Cariadoc of the Bow was King of the Middle, he thought it would be entertaining to have a war between the East and Middle Kingdoms. He sent a declaration of war to the East in A.S. 5, but nothing ever came of it. By A.S. 7, Cariadoc had moved and become King of the East, whereupon he found the old declaration of war and promptly accepted. The Midrealm army defeated the Easterners, making Cariadoc (as the joke goes) the first king in history to declare war on himself and lose.

This deserves a trophy. A really grotesque trophy. Something along the lines of a goose with it's head inserted into it's own nether regions.

(Please refrain from politically motivated comments. This isn't the thread for it.)

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

They should hold an SCA trivia quiz at Pennsic, and call it Pennsive.

There are often SCA trivia quiz at event.  Not sure if Pennsic has an official one or not. 

33 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

At one time I could have blazoned that*... don't remember enough now.

* described it in proper heraldic terminology and format

Per pale Or and vert, a bend between two pouches counterchanged

I understood just enough of that to wonder what implicit assumption distinguishes this device from its color inverse (i.e. knowing that the upper pouch is the golden one rather than the lower, etc.).

10 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Nice coat of arms. Does the pouch mean anything to you?

My SCA name that I have used for years is "Michael of the Belt Pouch", which dates back to when I carried damn near everything in my pouches.  My registered name is "Michael Belt Pouch" as the "of the" part cant't really be registered with the current rules.

The crowns of East and Middle have declared that there will be no war points awarded, nor will there be an overall winner of Pennsic 50.  Not sure how this is going to work out, but they say it's to avoid the "win at all cost" effect that having a war winner sometimes creates.  Might mean that armies chose which side they are going to fight for on a battle by battle basis.  The cynic in me is wondering how much of this was caused by the curbstomp that East and allies did to Middle last year.  

Just found out that my brother has also register himself and one ghost, which in addition to my 2 registration means we will most likely have 2 pavilions instead of trying to fit both of us into a single 10 x 15 bell wedge pavilion. While in theory you can fit 2 in them, they are a bit crowed with 2 people that aren't sleeping with each other.

On 5/27/2023 at 2:41 PM, mlooney said:

Just found out that my brother has also register himself and one ghost, which in addition to my 2 registration means we will most likely have 2 pavilions instead of trying to fit both of us into a single 10 x 15 bell wedge pavilion. While in theory you can fit 2 in them, they are a bit crowed with 2 people that aren't sleeping with each other.

Apparitions need floor space?

Each registered "person" gets 250 sq ft. of camp ground space, so people that need more than that register one or more "ghosts".  So, no, apparitions don't need floor space, they give you floor space.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Each registered "person" gets 250 sq ft. of camp ground space, so people that need more than that register one or more "ghosts".  So, no, apparitions don't need floor space, they give you floor space.

Interesting. Where does one apply to have one's house haunted in order to obtain more floor space? Can it be a fictional ghost, like Jacob Marley, or do they have a team that checks for actual spirits?

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Interesting. Where does one apply to have one's house haunted in order to obtain more floor space? Can it be a fictional ghost, like Jacob Marley, or do they have a team that checks for actual spirits?

Check your domicile's website.  At least that's where you register a ghost for Pennsic.

50 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Check your domicile's website.  At least that's where you register a ghost for Pennsic.

My apartment would want to charge me a fee for an additional live-in, even if they were' actually living. At best, they'd apply a discount.

It's the last day for pre-registration for Pennsic.  They have a set in jello class schedule which I downloaded.  It's 106 pages long.

They had ~13,000 pre regs for Pennsic this year.  They had ~9,000 last year.  People really like big round numbers. (This is Pennsic 50 aka L)
Of course a fair number of those are ghosts so a person can have more than the 250 sq feet of camping space that they allot for a registration.  My household has 23 live persons and 7 ghosts.