• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Comic for Saturday, Mar 25, 2023

Sorta.

Granted, for her it is a leap forward. She's at least picturing the character.

I question the functionality of a knife in each hand when not at least approaching combat. Seems like it would be more of a hazard than a help.

Then again, she makes a good point, it's only a game.

Is there a mechanic for 'Roll to walk across the room without doing something boneheaded that will require the use of at least one hand'?

Might explain why she fell down stairs. Just saying.

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Is there a mechanic for 'Roll to walk across the room without doing something boneheaded that will require the use of at least one hand'?

In theory make a dexterity (acrobatics) check would be what you use for this, however most game masters wouldn't require you to do that while simply walking.  Again, assuming 5e or something like that.

52 minutes ago, mlooney said:

In theory make a dexterity (acrobatics) check would be what you use for this, however most game masters wouldn't require you to do that while simply walking.  Again, assuming 5e or something like that.

Carrying a knife in each hand constantly is not 'simply walking'. Imagine doing it IRL. Imagine the reactions of folks around you. Imagine your many exciting visits with various security services.

Carrying a knife in each hand constantly is not 'simply walking'. Imagine doing it IRL. Imagine the reactions of folks around you. Imagine your many exciting visits with various security services.

Meh.  When I'm in pseudo medieval mode I've carried a knife in each hand. 

But that wouldn't be an acrobatics check, just for the walking.

If you fail the diplomacy check, you might need some acrobatics check in the ensuing combat. But that's not just walking.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

If you fail the diplomacy check, you might need some acrobatics check in the ensuing combat. But that's not just walking.

Sadly they have removed the "make an acrobatics check to move through hostiles" rule from 3.x.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Meh.  When I'm in pseudo medieval mode I've carried a knife in each hand. 

SCA 'knives' don't count. Or were you carrying the real thing for cooking?

I know people who can't walk and chew gum at the same time, I'm not buying ;this is a safe mode of being'.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

But that wouldn't be an acrobatics check, just for the walking.

It might be fun to watch from the sidelines, assuming you did not become associated with the knife carrier in the security folks eyes. Maybe just keep walking.

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

SCA 'knives' don't count. Or were you carrying the real thing for cooking?

The real thing.  For various reasons.

13 hours ago, mlooney said:

The real thing.  For various reasons.

Well, if the SCA is going to start using real weapons, drawing blood, and severing appendages, I may have to start watching your events.

11 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Well, if the SCA is going to start using real weapons, drawing blood, and severing appendages, I may have to start watching your events.

Much more likely the HEMA is going to do that.  Granted the SCA does have steel weapon combat now, but it's all with bated blades.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Much more likely the HEMA is going to do that.

Strangely appropriate acronym for a group that leans toward using bladed weapons.

Granted the SCA does have steel weapon combat now, but it's all with bated blades.

"I carry mace in case I get accosted while out and about in strange places."

"Does spritzing them with mace deter them?"

<Hefts metal shod club-like implement> "You misunderstand me . . ."

Technically, you're still correct, not likely to draw visible blood.

. . .  it's all with bated blades.

Long ago, during the now defunct Ren Faire in Raleigh, one vendor had stage blades.The cross section was oval, there was no 'blade' per se, but they were full size and heavy, maybe heavier than the real thing, due to the cross section. I would not want to get hit by one any more than I'd want to be hit by a baseball bat.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Long ago, during the now defunct Ren Faire in Raleigh, one vendor had stage blades.The cross section was oval, there was no 'blade' per se, but they were full size and heavy, maybe heavier than the real thing, due to the cross section. I would not want to get hit by one any more than I'd want to be hit by a baseball bat.

Those wouldn't be legal in any version of SCA combat.  Steel requires weapons that "flex" and heavy is rattan only.