• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Wednesday, Mar 29, 2023

I wouldn’t say “never”—when I was in high school, a jacket would inevitably be noticeably dirty and smelly within a month without washing if worn daily.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

All persons entering a facility that may be used or occupied by T Susan Pompons must undergo Nuclear - Biological - Chemical decontamination.

Sounds simple.

I've been NBC deconed.  It's not a pleasant experience.   I'm not seeing it be used at the door to a school, much less a retail establishment.  Granted she's not going to be in the retail space much longer.

Yay!  Sarah hugged back!  She might not have known how much Susan needed it, but given that Susan almost never allows, much less starts physical contact Sarah might have known that something was up.

The confusion between "Nuclear - Biological - Chemical" and the TV net work NBC caused the military term to be changed to CBRN, which stands for "Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear".  Not sure why "Radiological" is listed along with "Nuclear".

Also, not to be all hipster like, I disliked Cosby before it was cool to dislike Cosby.

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Cosby was one of the many comedians whom I rarely if ever found the least bit comedic.

I thought he was funny when I was a kid in the early 1960s, when there wasn't much competition, and we'd occasionally have access to one of his comedy albums. His family show wasn't terrible.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

The confusion between "Nuclear - Biological - Chemical" and the TV net work NBC caused the military term to be changed to CBRN, which stands for "Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear".  Not sure why "Radiological" is listed along with "Nuclear".

There are radiation sources other than nuclear weapons and the fallout thereof, even if most passive sources ultimately stem from the decay of unstable isotopes. For example, there have been several incidents (most recently in Australia) in which a radioactive pellet used in medical radiotherapy systems got loose into the outside, though such items are only a threat when you get within tens of meters of them.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

There are radiation sources other than nuclear weapons and the fallout thereof, even if most passive sources ultimately stem from the decay of unstable isotopes. For example, there have been several incidents (most recently in Australia) in which a radioactive pellet used in medical radiotherapy systems got loose into the outside, though such items are only a threat when you get within tens of meters of them.

That pellet was radioactive due to the usual unstable isotopes, it's not a counterexample. A better one would be dental or other diagnostic x-rays. Those are created by a strong electric field accelerating electrons at a target. When they hit, the electrons loose their energy as x-rays, no nuclear material directly involved.

I suspect that the added it about the time that people started talking about "Dirty bombs" and did, in fact want to separate weaponized radiation of the non nuclear explosion type from nuclear weapons that explode.  But I'm not an acronym creator in the Pentagon, so I don't know for sure.  For all I know no one told the committee that came up with CBRN that R and N were redundant.  After all they repeated "Engineer" in RED HORSE (Rapid Engineer Deployable Heavy Operational Repair Squadron Engineer) 

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

I suspect that the added it about the time that people started talking about "Dirty bombs" and did, in fact want to separate weaponized radiation of the non nuclear explosion type from nuclear weapons that explode.  But I'm not an acronym creator in the Pentagon, so I don't know for sure.  For all I know no one told the committee that came up with CBRN that R and N were redundant.  After all they repeated "Engineer" in RED HORSE (Rapid Engineer Deployable Heavy Operational Repair Squadron Engineer) 

The Department of Redundancy Department creates those acronyms.

The DoD has pretty much the lock on weird acronyms.  For example the medium range air defense missile during the cold war was HAWK.  They could have just left it at that, none of the other missiles' names were acronyms, but no, it's "Homing All the Way Killer".  According to the people who worked on HAWK  systems I met in Germany, its real name was "Holiday And Weekend Killer".  

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Probably wanted to make sure the acronym was pronounced with "horse" at the end - not "whores".

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

The DoD has pretty much the lock on weird acronyms.  For example the medium range air defense missile during the cold war was HAWK.  They could have just left it at that, none of the other missiles' names were acronyms, but no, it's "Homing All the Way Killer".  According to the people who worked on HAWK  systems I met in Germany, its real name was "Holiday And Weekend Killer".  

That sound like more of a retronym. The military is good at that. All the clever wags in the program office think of candidate phrases for the program title.

Cat is Cuddly Animated Terror.

10 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Does the Department of Defense actually serve Alphabet Soup at every meal?

No. Due to security requirements, The DoD soup is required to include numbers and symbols to meet its cryptologic standards. However, the new digital soup only needs Is and Os.

15 hours ago, mlooney said:

But Alphabet Soup is Modular!

The old code page soup was modular, but the ISO standard soup come with custom alphabets for different cultures. I would like to know how they get the accents and the tildes to float near the appropriate letters. That must be some fancy food technology.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
fix typo

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The old cope page soup was modular, but the ISO standard soup come with custom alphabets for different cultures. I would like to know how they get the accents and the tildes to float near the appropriate letters. That must be some fancy food technology.

Just so you know "modular" is the buzzword that the DoD seems to be in love with for the last decade.  Applies from every thing from force structures to rifles.