• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Friday, Mar 31, 2023

Comic for Friday, Mar 31, 2023

Change? Spare some change?

This comic goes to a weird place. Panel 1 is about what you'd expect, given where this was heading. Panel 2 is a cliff hanger setup, raises new issues; what prompted 'What the hell?!' ?, what kind of reports on the comments, and why so many?, what does someone (third party) spamming have to do with those reports? This is also a grasp at the familiar, and it's no longer familiar. Panel 3 is in another realm. Susan does not look like Susan; the art style is different. (Yes, I know she has a shocked expression. It still does not look like her.) The context, the surrounding 'change' phrases, it is unclear where they are occurring. Seems like something she's reading - if it is, how did whoever know to post those? It could all be in her head. The background is foreboding, but in a very ambiguous way; not specifically threatening.

It will be interesting to see this play out.

7 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The context, the surrounding 'change' phrases, it is unclear where they are occurring. Seems like something she's reading - if it is, how did whoever know to post those? It could all be in her head.

I'm seeing them as people posting "spam" on her video review site.  One person most likely, but as to who, I've got no clue.

49 minutes ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

Pandora?

The thought crossed my mind and left muddy tracks. It could be Pandora's reboot; she has also gone through changes. OTOH, she barely met Susan. She wasn't 'alive' long enough to stalk Susan and observe her after she met her and realized she was a descendant.

Will Pandora be 'Pandora'? She retained memories. We don't know the scope of that yet. She seemed pretty helpless at 'birth'/reawakening. So far, the Immortal reboots have used different names and had new personalities. I think Pandora will at least in part subvert being fully rebooted, that being the point of retaining her memories.

From what we've seen, Immortals are very self-centered. Even when beneficent, they are pursuing their own agenda and using people, Susan and Nanase as an example. They get bored and go crazy, then need to reboot. The salient difference between a child and an adult is that children are self-centered; they have no other paradigm, although with nurturing, individuals can grow and rise above this outlook/ Some adults, adults who are said to act maturely, take responsibility for others; their spouse, their kids, their various charges.

Pandora put a foot in that milieu through her relationship with a human, and subsequently raising an offspring. It undeniably had a stabilizing effect; as unstable as she was, she lived far longer than the typical immortal, and was at times capable of carrying on a lucid discussion and offering helpful guidance. I think that choosing maturity, caring beyond their own immediate interests, is a stabilizing influence in the immortal realm, a ward against boredom. It kept her saner than she would have been otherwise, and by embracing her family, she has hope of moving past immortal boredom in her reboot. Maturity could be the thing immortals need in order to take the next step toward an actual long life. I suppose if Pandora is the guinea pig, we'll never see it, unless EGS gets a branching comic set in the far future.

While the EGS discord server is all about the messages being from an immortal of one sort or another, I'm not seeing it.  Comments on a video review channel seems like a strange way to make contact with humans.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Change is . . .

Wild idea.

With the recent change related comics, fans have "helpfully" been sending Dan every change related aphorism they knew.  Dan has forwarded them to Susan.

That is a more meta idea than The Dan normally does on main story lines.  At least past the Rat and Matt stage. Still makes more sense than the idea it was caused by one or more immortals.

21 hours ago, mlooney said:

Comments on a video review channel seems like a strange way to make contact with humans.

Yet, here we are using comments in a web comic channel to make contact with humans and canines. (Unless Explorer is the one posting your comments; it's difficult to be sure on the Internet. So humans and canines and felines, to err on the safe side.)

Maybe in her weakened reborn state, posting comments is easier than appearing? I'm not up to speed on my EGS Immortal metaphysics.

I like the idea that Dan forwarded them. It takes in-comic author/comic interaction to a new level.

On 4/1/2023 at 7:10 AM, Darth Fluffy said:

I like the idea that Dan forwarded them. It takes in-comic author/comic interaction to a new level.

No, I think Kathy has him beat on that one.

co20170913bL.jpg

23 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

You're not wrong, and that's a really sad example. She's like the Garfield of people comics. (She may even hate Mondays.)

12 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

co20170913bL.jpg

Great, another comic to read the back issues of and then add it to my daily list.  Thanks!  And I only mean that sorta sarcastically. 

On 4/1/2023 at 10:10 AM, Darth Fluffy said:

Yet, here we are using comments in a web comic channel to make contact with humans and canines. (Unless Explorer is the one posting your comments; it's difficult to be sure on the Internet. So humans and canines and felines, to err on the safe side.)

I don't know about Explorer, but there's at least one feline who posts on the forums. Granted, I'm fictional, but as we're still managing to communicate I'd say it still counts.