• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Wednesday, Apr 19, 2023

'Bumping in to them' raises an interesting point, 'Invisible' is a vague cover-all fiction term, 'transparent' is a more specific actual physical term that can have degrees of applicability. If the thing is still there, it can still be sensed by some means, being bumped into for instance.

The key point is, is it still there? In the past, it seemed that the Immortals were tied to a universe (but could possibly switch?), but not part of it, unless they chose to be. They did not seem to have organic requirements, but could take part in organic functions, such as eating and drinking and sex (Pandora having a child) if they wanted to. So, presumably, they are physically present if they want to be, although Voltaire said Ashley could have walked through him as he's fading out, so perhaps they can be more like a hologram. (Given that it's fiction, their immediate nature seems to depend more on plot than on metaphysics.)

So, where do they actually reside - the place where Magus met Pandora? He was unable to physically manifest, but existed in another nebulous realm, no longer in his own universe (implies the Immortal realm touches multiple universes, but that bit is handled inconsistently - different rule sets for Immortals tied to different universes). It did not seem odd that they could ignore barriers. It seems odder that they cannot -  is that always engaged, or just when they choose to manifest?

What is their invisibility based on? What causes the effect? 'Visible' means that they have been observed; is it merely screwing with the mind(s) of the observer(s)? Blanking those thoughts? Would they show up on film, or on a video camera? Could that image be observed?

Possibly, light magically passes through them. What electromagnetic wavelengths are affected. Can they be observed in IR or UV? Do they have a heat signature? Could you perhaps then see them at night with night vision goggles? Do they show up on radar that would spot a person? Do they affect electric fields? Can sonar see them? Can a dog smell them? Can you heat them with microwaves, then observe the hot spot?

If you had a foggy or dusty environment, would they show up as clear spots in the mist?

Is there an magic abjuration that will make them visible?