• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Comic for Tuesday, Apr 25, 2023

Here is.

Having a player that sorta knows what's going on in an adventure is a hard thing for a DM to deal with.  One that is curious about the changes you made is worse.

I would say that having the damsel in distress being a chicken is the most peculiar of the changes that Ellen has made. We have seen a bit of her thought process leading to the henchmen being more diverse, as well as the villainous cleric being friends with the Mayor, but so far no explanation for the chicken thing.

Perhaps Ellen anticipated that someone might be familiar with the module, and made modifications to suit. The worst curve balls may be yet to come . . .

The chicken has grow into a huge monstrous fowl creature, and is devouring cultists. Soon she will ravage the town! BWAWK!

The mayor is the real villain. He knew this would happen, he organized the cult to cause it and to feed Mirabel. The heroes will expose his fowl deeds.

That seems like it might be a bit extreme for a new DM with an intro adventure.  Still could happen, this is EGS written by The Dan.

I'm glad Ellen made the change, and the reasons I'm glad are also my speculation for why she might have:

The damsel in distress trope has been so overused over the years that I often find it boring and/or annoying. Furthermore, since it's usually a guy doing the rescuing, it also has a tendency to come off as a bit misogynist (though having female heroes does somewhat mitigate this). Honestly when it comes to new stories/games, these days the only time I don't mind a damsel-in-distress-plot is if it's an extremely lighthearted story where it being cliche is part of the point, or if there's an interesting new twist on the trope and it's extremely well written.

George knew she was using a module that came with the game, but did not realize he knew anything about the particular module until one specific scene played out?

Be careful, George.  Your "I know every thing" veneer is beginning to crack.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling