• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Stature

Story Monday November 28, 2016

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:
24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The carefulness can IMHO be best seen here, where Nanase is careful. But even in the page you linked, note how in commentary Dan explicitly mentions that this comics will not answer the question if the guardian form is divine.

True, it does leave it to interpretation though, and we know there have been many battles over interpretation throughout history.

Yes. It likely leads the chart, above gold, jewels and oil, to name few other from the top ten of what battles are fought over. Hmmm ... maybe space to live in might be tied.

So ... I would assume Dan wouldn't include any magic-aware Holy Order in comics, because that would mean more things he would need to be careful around.

53 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That would be plausible but would present even MORE danger to Elliot. I would assume that while knowledge and intent is important, you can't fool it easily by being lazy in gathering information. Because it's about what he believes and not about what he can justify.

In Voltaire's case, though, it doesn't matter; Voltaire's vow is explicitly about intent ("I vow to not attempt to have Elliot killed.").

(Also, PCR Box sounds like it should be some sort of scientific equipment.)

9 minutes ago, chridd said:

In Voltaire's case, though, it doesn't matter; Voltaire's vow is explicitly about intent ("I vow to not attempt to have Elliot killed.").

True ; however, there would still be knowledge-based loopholes on it. For start, "destroy this ship ... hey, I didn't knew Elliot's on board".

9 minutes ago, chridd said:

(Also, PCR Box sounds like it should be some sort of scientific equipment.)

Better than VCR Box.

Tara's magic sense told her that Elliot and Ellen are twins, which gives us the possibility that Jerry could have similar magic sense and could be seeing Diane as Susan's sister because of it.  Presumably an Immortal would have enough experience to not be confused by unusual configurations like Ellen/Elliot....but Jerry has only just reset, and we know that skills like hiding from other Immortals take time to relearn, so he may be mistaken about Susan and Diane, just as Tara was mistaken about how Elliot and Ellen are actually related.

Is anyone else surprised by the fact that Susan is apparently defending her father? I had gotten the impression that the affair had more-or-less totally annihilated any chances of her viewing her father in anything remotely resembling a positive light.

This fervor... is a tad unsettling. 

12 minutes ago, Ehoron said:

Is anyone else surprised by the fact that Susan is apparently defending her father? I had gotten the impression that the affair had more-or-less totally annihilated any chances of her viewing her father in anything remotely resembling a positive light.

This fervor... is a tad unsettling. 

I actually consider it reasonable. If Susan had been happy up to the moment where she caught her father's infidelity, one way to preserve those happy memories would be to tell herself that until then at least he had been faithful. If she suddenly has to accept the fact that his infidelity predated that by her entire life, she will also have to face the fact that her belief in those early years of happiness were based on a soothing lie she had told herself. I can see her reacting strongly to this initially rather than just accepting it.

Part of it may also have been her mother's attitude that his infidelity was reflexive simply because he was a man. It would have made it possible for Susan to tell herself that her father's infidelity was due to a moment of weakness rather than a long term pattern going on from since before she was born.

9 minutes ago, Ehoron said:

The events at Grace's Birthday Party left Susan even more confused about her father.  I really don't know if she will ever seek him out on her own.  I don't know what her reaction would be if he approached her.  In the meantime, her mind continues be a stalemated battlefield with many entrenched opposing armies.  When a new player enters the field, at least one of the sides is bound to open fire.

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The events at Grace's Birthday Party left Susan even more confused about her father.  I really don't know if she will ever seek him out on her own.  I don't know what her reaction would be if he approached her.  In the meantime, her mind continues be a stalemated battlefield with many entrenched opposing armies.  When a new player enters the field, at least one of the sides is bound to open fire.

Right. You tell those blinkin' Hyksos to keep their chariots out of there, Pharaoh. The place is confusing enough already.

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Tara's magic sense told her that Elliot and Ellen are twins, which gives us the possibility that Jerry could have similar magic sense and could be seeing Diane as Susan's sister because of it.  Presumably an Immortal would have enough experience to not be confused by unusual configurations like Ellen/Elliot....but Jerry has only just reset, and we know that skills like hiding from other Immortals take time to relearn, so he may be mistaken about Susan and Diane, just as Tara was mistaken about how Elliot and Ellen are actually related.

It's pretty likely that Immortals have some kind of aura-reading vision that lets them analyze a lot of things about a person. Note how Pandora was able to analyze all of the people she was talking to in the "Marker" NP story.

2 minutes ago, ijuin said:

It's pretty likely that Immortals have some kind of aura-reading vision that lets them analyze a lot of things about a person. Note how Pandora was able to analyze all of the people she was talking to in the "Marker" NP story.

Yes, but Pandora is several centuries old.  Jerry has only just reset.  It would be quite reasonable for Jerry to get a lot less information than Pandora.  Heck, we've got evidence Pandora saw more than Jerry, even before Jerry reset, in the way Pandora was able to detect and Mark an innate affinity in Sarah, when Jerry couldn't even detect the affinity.

Yes, which probably means that Jerry saw something similar between their auras, added that to the physical resemblance, and concluded that they were related.

42 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I'm not sure it's aura reading.  It's not like an immortal has ever said anything to indicate that. 

I'd argue that Pandora only found Sarah's affinity because she (Pandora) took an interest in her (Sarah) from her (Sarah's) performance at the comics shop otherwise I don't think even Pandora would have known.

58 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Yes, but Pandora is several centuries old.  Jerry has only just reset.  It would be quite reasonable for Jerry to get a lot less information than Pandora.  Heck, we've got evidence Pandora saw more than Jerry, even before Jerry reset, in the way Pandora was able to detect and Mark an innate affinity in Sarah, when Jerry couldn't even detect the affinity.

Personally I consider one likely possibility that pre-reset Jerry in his state of growing omniscience saw that Susan had a half sister before he passed on and 'saved' the information for post-reset Jerry.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Part of it may also have been her mother's attitude that his infidelity was reflexive simply because he was a man. It would have made it possible for Susan to tell herself that her father's infidelity was due to a moment of weakness rather than a long term pattern going on from since before she was born.

While there's no evidence to support this, I do wonder if Susan's mom had caught her husband once before, and gave him an ultimatum to never to so again, it might have been while she was pregnant with Susan and she demanded help raising her, but then after Susan caught him and told her mom, there was no more second chances and she gave him the boot.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

But considering Tara was able to see potential and Ellen's connection to Elliot, she called them twins, but even she was unsure how because Ellen's magic was different than Elliot's. Tara's not Immortal level in magic power, so that kind of insight should be easy for an Immortal and we do know that Jerry had a proper reset.

10 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Personally I consider one likely possibility that pre-reset Jerry in his state of growing omniscience saw that Susan had a half sister before he passed on and 'saved' the information for post-reset Jerry.

I wouldn't go so far to say that he knew Susan had a sister when he first met her, but I can certainly believe that Jerry took a good look at Susan when he made his vow and that what he learned of her potential and general aura and maybe even genetics was found to be a match when he saw Diane. If Immortals can look at a person's genetics, then there'd be no denying Diane's relation to Susan.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

but Jerry has only just reset, and we know that skills like hiding from other Immortals take time to relearn

He didn't "just" reset and I don't think it takes so long if you reset properly.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:
4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

It would be smart thing to do, definitely.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

I wouldn't go so far to say that he knew Susan had a sister when he first met her, but I can certainly believe that Jerry took a good look at Susan when he made his vow and that what he learned of her potential and general aura and maybe even genetics was found to be a match when he saw Diane. If Immortals can look at a person's genetics, then there'd be no denying Diane's relation to Susan.

Or that. Generally, with proper reset, there could be lot of informations that he could gave to his younger self regarding not only Susan but recognizing sisters in general.