• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP, Wednesday November 30, 2016

Catalina considers Lucy as an Amazon. Tch. Not even close.

And now I hope, by some dramatic circumstance, they end up in the right carpark.

Hmm.  We know that Catalina went into the back of the comic shop during spring break last year to see the geek girls playing the Xenu RPG.  Is it possible that she saw Lucy there?  I know that is skirting close to the "all characters are characters we know" button, but given the evidence we have seen, it's possible.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Lucy doesn't like Rhoda? I know there seemed to be some sort of "why does Diane let her hang around?" vibe way back when, but apparently there's more to it?

Looking at that strip, $19.95 seems like an awfully low price for a date with Nanase, which means she's not just accusing them of thinking of her as meat to sell, but as cheap meat.

2 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Looking at that strip, $19.95 seems like an awfully low price for a date with Nanase, which means she's not just accusing them of thinking of her as meat to sell, but as cheap meat.

I was going to correct you on $19.95 per lb, but it doesn't say that.  Yeah, that's not a good thing.

Hmm. Let's see:

• Lucy is into Xena (like Catalina)
  • Rhoda was crushing on Diane
  • Lucy's never shown as being interested in a guy

Admittedly, we haven't seen very much of Lucy over the years, but it doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch that Lucy would really like to eliminate the "double" part of all the double dates she has with Diane. Or that Lucy sees Rhoda as a rival.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Hmm. Let's see:

• Lucy is into Xena (like Catalina)
  • Rhoda was crushing on Diane
  • Lucy's never shown as being interested in a guy

Admittedly, we haven't seen very much of Lucy over the years, but it doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch that Lucy would really like to eliminate the "double" part of all the double dates she has with Diane. Or that Lucy sees Rhoda as a rival.

Wait, maybe Lucy is to Rhoda as George is to Justin?

Maybe Xena just needs her Gabrielle?

Years ago, Diane surrounded herself with a clique of girls.

There were two common factors among those girls.  They were attractive, and they were willing to defer to Diane.*

That leaves a very large gap of personality, history, interests, and opinions not involving Diane in which two or more member of the clique could be significantly different.

This situation has festered for some time.  I think we can guess that whatever Rhoda did to offend Lucy was not of concern to Diane.  Likewise, whatever Lucy does to intimidate Rhoda is also unnoticed by Diane.

*While the clique defers to Diane regularly, Diane herself may be unaware that this is a significant factor holding the group together.  Diane has often tried to bring Nanase into the clique, even though Nanase would not defer to Diane just because everyone else does.  Eventually, Nanase would challenge Diane for the Alpha dog position in the pack and the story winds up as a National Geographic documentary or a teen angst movie.

In an unrelated topic, I think that the effect Pandora mentioned is already happening: if you look at Rhoda's.... upper parts, you will notice that... something... is varying in size between panels...

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Eventually, Nanase would challenge Diane for the Alpha dog position in the pack and the story winds up as a National Geographic documentary or a teen angst movie.

I don't think Nanase intentionally challenged Diane, at least Nanase never went out of her way to become Alpha Female. Diane's opinion of Nanase didn't become clear until the New Year's Party, but if Diane had that kind of opinion of Nanase for a while, that would have been a driving factor for Diane to want Nanase as part of the group, but Diane's need to maintain her image in school conflicted with that, so she could never just up and say it.

54 minutes ago, Entropy said:

In an unrelated topic, I think that the effect Pandora mentioned is already happening: if you look at Rhoda's.... upper parts, you will notice that... something... is varying in size between panels...

Looks to me that it's the various poses that are giving the illusion of change, in the same way that it was thought that Catalina got enlarged boobs after she first transformed.

The poses Rhoda's making would be pulling the jacket in various ways, which either causes her chest to look flatter or stand out more.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Years ago, Diane surrounded herself with a clique of girls.

There were two common factors among those girls.  They were attractive, and they were willing to defer to Diane.*

That leaves a very large gap of personality, history, interests, and opinions not involving Diane in which two or more member of the clique could be significantly different.

This situation has festered for some time.  I think we can guess that whatever Rhoda did to offend Lucy was not of concern to Diane.  Likewise, whatever Lucy does to intimidate Rhoda is also unnoticed by Diane.

*While the clique defers to Diane regularly, Diane herself may be unaware that this is a significant factor holding the group together.  Diane has often tried to bring Nanase into the clique, even though Nanase would not defer to Diane just because everyone else does.  Eventually, Nanase would challenge Diane for the Alpha dog position in the pack and the story winds up as a National Geographic documentary or a teen angst movie.

You make teenage girl cliques sound like the Mafia.

This makes too much sense.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Wait, maybe Lucy is to Rhoda as George is to Justin?

Maybe Xena just needs her Gabrielle?

That's an intriguing idea, except that why does Lucy go out with Diane and not with Rhoda? But Rhoda does seem more plausible as a Gabrielle than Lucy, and Lucy's very first snarky remark is aimed at Diane, not Rhoda, and right after Diane has once again mightily impressed Rhoda.

Diane hasn't been shown to be a true queen bee; the only girls who seem to follow her are Lucy and Rhoda. In this she's unlike Diane, who, of course, started the Feminist Club at her school. Why would this be so? My theory is that Diane is seen as a boyfriend-stealer while Susan isn't. And if I'm right about Lucy, this isn't an issue for Lucy and Rhoda.

11 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

That's an intriguing idea, except that why does Lucy go out with Diane and not with Rhoda? But Rhoda does seem more plausible as a Gabrielle than Lucy, and Lucy's very first snarky remark is aimed at Diane, not Rhoda, and right after Diane has once again mightily impressed Rhoda.

Remember, George tended to bug Justin about his "harem" and then his behaviour towards Elliot when he thought Elliot was Justin's boyfriend, and then when Justin finally stated Elliot wasn't his boyfriend, and then there's his reaction to seeing Justin with Luke. George has been hiding the fact that he likes Justin, Lucy could secretly have liked Rhoda but needed to hide it from Diane just as much as Rhoda needed to hide the fact that she likes girls from Diane as well.

31 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Diane hasn't been shown to be a true queen bee; the only girls who seem to follow her are Lucy and Rhoda. In this she's unlike Diane, who, of course, started the Feminist Club at her school. Why would this be so? My theory is that Diane is seen as a boyfriend-stealer while Susan isn't. And if I'm right about Lucy, this isn't an issue for Lucy and Rhoda.

I'm going to assume the second "Diane" in that should be a "Susan". I think they are similar though, Diane has her group, while it is just the three of them, it is a group and there is a goal of the group, which is to get guys to give them attention and buy them stuff. Susan leads a larger, more academic group for sure, but while the groups themselves are different, the fact that Diane and Susan are leaders in them is what counts.

Also, I don't think Diane has always been a boyfriend stealer. I think Elliot was the first time Diane considered it, although she didn't try to steal him away from Sarah, and while the idea of Elliot already having a date after the breakup upset her, she hasn't actually made any attempts, and while it still remains to be seen, her actually meeting Elliot, seeing him and Ashley together, an knowing that he can turn into various girl forms as well as Cheerleadra, she may not desire to have him anymore.

I think the size of Diane's group is curious. I've never seen a group of three function over time when two are at odds with one another, the group has to be larger to diffuse the tension, or it fractures.

18 minutes ago, banneret said:

I think the size of Diane's group is curious. I've never seen a group of three function over time when two are at odds with one another, the group has to be larger to diffuse the tension, or it fractures.

Diane might be THAT good keeping the group together.

15 hours ago, mlooney said:

Hmm.  We know that Catalina went into the back of the comic shop during spring break last year to see the geek girls playing the Xenu RPG.  Is it possible that she saw Lucy there?  I know that is skirting close to the "all characters are characters we know" button, but given the evidence we have seen, it's possible.

Yes it is possible. Or she might saw her playing Xena RPG on other occasion.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Diane hasn't been shown to be a true queen bee; the only girls who seem to follow her are Lucy and Rhoda.

She may not be, but that's definitely what she pretend to work towards.

20 minutes ago, banneret said:

That's why I think there's something more to Lucy than we've seen so far, because if Lucy doesn't like Rhoda so much, why would she put up with with Diane's treatment of Rhoda? Does she like the idea of having guys buy her things (despite possibly not liking guys) more and needs Diane to reel them in for her?

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Why would her liking girls mean she's not liking guys? :)

Lucy's longest dialogue is about how wrong Elliot is for Diane. And Lucy is totally ignoring her date at the mall despite all the little hearts floating around his head.

Gay or not, Lucy has seen the review show, so she knows that Susan looks and sounds like Diane. Lucy may also may have picked up on the chemistry between Elliot and Susan. So there's a better motivation than rivalry for Lucy to try to deflect Diane from Elliot: Diane could get hurt.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

So there's a better motivation than rivalry for Lucy to try to deflect Susan from Elliot: Susan could get hurt.

You mean Diane?

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
On 12/01/2016 at 1:18 AM, hkmaly said:

Why would her liking girls mean she's not liking guys? :)

Lucy's longest dialogue is about how wrong Elliot is for Diane. And Lucy is totally ignoring her date at the mall despite all the little hearts floating around his head.

She's dating that boy for money. Is likely not her type. If she would actually searching for someone she likes, she would be searching differently.

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Gay or not, Lucy has seen the review show, so she knows that Susan looks and sounds like Diane. Lucy may also may have picked up on the chemistry between Elliot and Susan. So there's a better motivation than rivalry for Lucy to try to deflect Diane from Elliot: Diane could get hurt.

Agree. The chemistry is pretty obvious. And Elliot would never date "mirror universe Susan", she would remind him Susan too much. He can date Ashley because she's totally different. (Well ... she MIGHT remind him Nanase a bit, but not that much.)