• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

NP Comic for Thursday, May 25, 2023

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Of course she has a plan.

Confuse-the-GM-until-she-makes-an-exploitable-miss-steak counts as a plan.  Right?

Miss Steak. She's an udder disaster, so if you all have a beef with her, we can meat her at the butcher shop.

I have a bone to pick. I see three voice arrows on 'WHAT.' I think Ellen (the GM) is not among the confused (Moe, Larry, and Curly, or something like that).

I'm not seeing the plan here either, but players, often ones with limited knowledge of the game rules, do weird things all the time.

23 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I'm not seeing the plan here either, but players, often ones with limited knowledge of the game rules, do weird things all the time.

Yeah, that would be Nanase.

11 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Yeah, that would be Nanase.

Of course Ellen isn't really up on the current rules, so it's possible that she may "theater of the mind/rule of cool" Nanase actions.  Hopefully the rest of the group will deal with the fallout.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Of course Ellen isn't really up on the current rules, so it's possible that she may "theater of the mind/rule of cool" Nanase actions.  Hopefully the rest of the group will deal with the fallout.

If they were playing Fallout, it would be a very different game. Mirabel might be a ten foot tall raptor chicken (~3 meters tall, Euro guys). Hmm . . .

20 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

If they were playing Fallout, it would be a very different game.

Or Gamma World where Mirabel might have laser eyes.

15 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Or Gamma World where Mirabel might have laser eyes.

Gramma's World was just a bit too silly. Well, maybe a lot too silly. Kitchen sink silly. But yes, Mirabel would have laser eyes. Mirabel, the Doom Chicken. "You want fries with that? <Cackle, Cackle>"

22 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Gramma's World was just a bit too silly. Well, maybe a lot too silly.

It was better than Metamorphoses Alpha, which really isn't saying that much. 

49 minutes ago, mlooney said:

It was better than Metamorphoses Alpha, which really isn't saying that much. 

I had forgotten Metamorphosis Alpha. I consider that a good thing, thanks a hell of a lot for reminding me. ;)

per the Inspiration section of the article, the "the original inspiration for the game was Brian Aldiss's science fiction novel Non-Stop (also known as Starship, 1958)." I had the Starship edition of his book, read it several time; it isn't that similar. There are only two featured mutations; the humans live rapidly, and the rats are smart and organized. The setting is more similar to Heinlein's Orphans of the Sky , which has more of a hodgepodge of mutations. (I've read a lot of Heinlein. IMO, this is one of his crappier books.) In both the tech of the inhabitants is low; neither are aware that they are on a spaceship until the end.

You will be pleased to know that the original author, James M. Ward, owns the right to the game, and it is not only still available, but there is a fourth edition! (Silly me, I thought one was too many.) A PDF of the original is available from DriveThurRPG, for not much more than the cost of the original game.

The game has it's own (fan?) Website, https://www.metamorphosisalpha.com.

It is credited as the first sci fi RPG; that may be true, it does predate Traveller, at least in terms of publishing. Given how detailed Traveller's setting is even early on, I suspect it may have been played earlier.

Metamorphosis Alpha is the forerunner to Gamma World. Ward shares credit for Gamma World with Gary Jaquet.

There is a D&D module, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, based on Metamorphosis Alpha.

In 1980, TSR released AD&D module S3: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. The module was based on the idea that a starship such as the Warden (though not the Warden itself, according to TSR founder Gary Gygax) becomes marooned in a D&D universe. In the module's foreword, Gygax writes that the module was written to introduce Metamorphosis Alpha to the wider D&D audience and to demonstrate how one might undertake science fiction/fantasy crossover.

My contribution will be Metamorphosis Alpo, Expedition to Sirius.